Lamintis

Horse2018

Visit site
I was wondering dos feed design for horses with lamintis help prevent lamintis like top spec Antilam . My mare is fat and is very good at keeping condition and it’s very hard for her to lose weight and she is in a summer field and I can’t change that because they are letting the other fields rest. Would it be beneficial for my mare.

HeyMich

Visit site
Nothing will stop your horse getting laminitis, except losing weight and increasing exercise. Can you muzzle her?

I would say your mare doesn't need any hard feed at all. And no, feeds like Antilam won't actually stop your horse getting laminitis, they are just feeds that are slightly better (in terms of sugar content) than others, that's all. In my mind, no laminitic horse/pony needs hard feed in June. Mine is on a very short grass paddock and fresh air!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
To be honest a lot of feeds that claim to be ideal for laminitis prone really are not, and none of them will help prevent it unfortunately, that is down to your management of the horse so in your situation cut out hard feed reduce grass and increase exercise, magnesium oxide can help with any fatty deposits but you have to reduce the grass intake for it to be really effective.