Land rent? Cost?

Lintel

Visit site
We have approached a local farmer on the possibility of renting some land from him, around 1-2 acres. The land is quite poor, a lot of rushes etc, the fencing is also quite poor. I have said I would be more than happy to fix the fences and put new fences in place where needed and to generally maintain the land. I'm not heavily involved in the local farming community so know little of costs etc so- how much would you be willing to pay for the rent of the field? Or how much would you be looking for?
What region are you in? I do believe it will vary region to region.

And if you do rent- do you have a contact in place etc? Have you encountered any problems?

windand rain

Visit site
We pay per horse but when we paid per acre it was 15 per acre per calender for a 7 acre field. That was 10 years ago I would guess you will pay more for smaller plots so probably be nearer 20 per acre possibly more depending on where you are

Magicmadge

Visit site
In Lincolnshire I paid £75 a month for two acres that was about 8 years ago and included the use of A stable which I didn't use as I had my own , and poo heap removed. However , you would be investing money into the fencing so negotiate .

JillA

Visit site
I am in Shropshire and when I asked local agents about renting 8 acres I had they around £75 per acre per annum, for farm livestock. I eventually advertised it at £150 p.a.p.a. and got fair interest (change of plan and didn't let it in the end) but that was good old meadow, with mains water and electric fencing. You should ideally have a proper farm business tenancy agreement in place so you all know where you stand. Speak to local agents, the ones who run your local livestock auction generally know this sort of stuff.

spacefaer

Visit site
We pay £200 pa for a 2.5 acre field (and he's thrown in the acre in front of his house this year as well)

We sprayed and, fenced before we moved in and have hand sprayed every year since. .This year, we are also fertilising it (4th yr of renting it)

It's okay ground - sandy, so dry and well draining but not great grass species.

Water is from a hosepipe by his house to the troughs which is tedious!

Oh, and we're in Shropshire too

Nicnac

Visit site
I pay £260 per acre per annum in South East as rent a 3 acre winter field from local farmer that I can trash. I maintain and fence it. Have paid same for last 20 years so although initially expensive now really cheap for area.

chaps89

Visit site
I can't believe these prices are as cheap as they are. Down in surrey I know a lady from an old yard is paying £250 per month for 6 acres. In the midlands about 7 years ago we paid £160 per month for 2 acres with private yard of 3 stables.
Question tho- if the land has rushes on is it not likely to be marshy/prone to flooding? (and therefore no use for horses in winter, being presumptious and guessing that your intention is to have horses on it?)

Lintel

Visit site
I can't believe these prices are as cheap as they are. Down in surrey I know a lady from an old yard is paying £250 per month for 6 acres. In the midlands about 7 years ago we paid £160 per month for 2 acres with private yard of 3 stables.
Question tho- if the land has rushes on is it not likely to be marshy/prone to flooding? (and therefore no use for horses in winter, being presumptious and guessing that your intention is to have horses on it?)

Yes it would be - winter turnout isn't too big a deal as long as I could section off an area to muck up pretty much it wouldn't appear to be ground that would get flooded as it runs down a hill away from the piece I would want to rent, but again it is hard to tell as its dry at the minute.

WelshD

Visit site
I pay £150 a month for just under three acres with a stable block, small horsey pockets of land owned by 'joe public' are always going to cost more than renting a corner of ground off a farmer though

What I would say is agree with the farmer regarding the fencing.. in our case we asked the field owner to guarantee us a year's tenancy so we were assured that our investment would be worth it. in your case I would ask the farmer if for a price he will put in the posts for you (if he has the necessary machinery) this will save you money compared to using a fencing company, you can fix the rails yourself very easily

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
We rented out 4 acres to our neighbour last year, relatively decent grazing (no rushes etc) with mains water and fairly un-stable dry stone walls. He paid €100 an acre. However he also harrowed, sprayed, did wall repairs and left it in better condition than he got it (only lightly grazed with sheep in winter).