landrover freelander??

lisaward

Visit site
sorry if in wrong place wasn't sure where to post

landrover freelander
what experience have you people had with these good or bad all comments appreciated i have heard both.
i have also heard that the ones after 2002 have a bmw engine which is better.

Iestyn

Visit site
I had a 52 Reg TD4 auto - I loved mine and only swopped it cos I needed to tow 2 horses. It towed an old Bayhill trailer and my 16hh TB quite nicely - I would never have towed more than this though. It wasn't great on Mways towing - you had to stick to 50mph otherwise it snaked. However, if you want an everyday vehicle and something to tow just one horse then I think they are the best compromsie you'd get.

RunToEarth

Visit site
Bek's was super at towing, equitrek with two 16.3hhers in, very roomy, but was sometimes a little tempremental in the cold, and it was too thirst quenching on Bek's wage, so she downsized, havnt heard anything disgustingly bad about them though.

Iestyn

Visit site
A Freelander Rosiie? You sure? I don't think a Freelander would cope with an Equitrek on its own - let alone with 2 big horses!!! You sure yr not thinking of anything else?

RunToEarth

Visit site
Yus was a freelander, promise. never went anywhere far in though, Bek has horsebox for taxing journeys, just local hunting in winter and such with the Tbs, but yus, was definately a freelandy
smile.gif

Bess

Visit site
I read that with wonder too, no way a landrover freelander could be described as 'very roomy' and certainly not tow an equitrek with two 16 + hands horses. I had one it was ok, but I didn't have to tow with it.

RunToEarth

Visit site
Hmm, now rosiie wonders whether she has muddled herself a little, definately not a disco...im sure it was a landy of some description, but from you guys reaction it seems it couldnt have been a lander, am sifting through photos to see if I can remember it a little better...

Iestyn

Visit site
It could have been a Defender, Disco or Range Rover - A Freelander is a small 4x4 - like a RAV4 type size. I think she would have blown the engine plus it would have been hugely over the legal towing weight of a Freelander!!!

RunToEarth

Visit site
I know what it was, LWB landy, just found a pic of my sat on the bonnet, sorry for the confusion chickens...its late, thats all I shall say
smile.gif

RunToEarth

Visit site
I am severely hung over from Friday night's antics, which I am regretting now, and have an heifer calving that I need to keep an eye on, joys of being a farmer's daughter eh?

Salcey

Visit site
I love my freelander, its very zippy, and it tows my 15.3 and 12.3 fine in a ifor trailer ( within the legal towing weights).
The boot is a bit small for shows, but we manage.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
I think it's one of those 'borderline' things - but I wouldn't recommend one for towing much above a pony, to remain within the legal towing weights and its performance limitations. They are not proper tow cars. My bro is a traffic cop and explained how officers deal with 'tail wags dog' outfits and the rules they go by. If they can't weigh you there and then, they go by the max gross laden weight of the trailer, as stamped on the hitch arm, and never mind whether it has a shire or a haybale in it! If you are not within the car's capability you are in trouble!

Having said that, you see dozens of saloon cars pulling Ifors about and I have no idea how or why they haven't been stopped!?

Safety first for me. I used a Daihatsu Fourtrak and had no probs at all. Pity you can't get them now.

anniedoherty

www.boxtreegallery.co.uk
I've got two Freelanders so I must love them! One is my old runabout and I do 20 miles every day in it on trips to yard and back. Never had any problems with it starting or reliability issues. It is actually a two seater which is unusual but I chose it because I can keep all my tack in the back incl. rugs etc and it saves me having to keep stuff at the yard and risk losing it.
My other one is a year old and has the BMW engine. It's a lot more refined and the heated seats are great when you've got a cold bum! It's also quieter so nicer on longer trips.
The old one has a towbar but I haven't got a trailer so I've never towed with it so can't really advise on that aspect but they are nice cars and fun to drive off road too if you are into that sort of thing.

thelwell

Visit site
freelanders are ok but when they go wrong they go wrong my friend had the diesal turbo one and somthing went on the pump it hit a certon rev and the light came on and put it straight into limp mood after spending loads of dosh we couldnt find the fault so we took the electronic pump of and replaced it with a manual injecter pump it goes better now and cured the fault and allso bypassed there engine manigment system. all so second mate has blown two freelander petrol engines up one on the motoray for no apperent reason second engine blew the head gaskit really bad
main faults on the freelanders if they have hub brakes on the back they have uneffetiont braking
the viscus cupling that does the 4x4 drive goes and that will cost around £700 for the part
petrol ones have bad head gaskits

RachelB

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
freelanders are ok but when they go wrong they go wrong

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that applies to any Landy though, we've had about 20 (seriously!) Discos in the last couple or few years and most of them have had something go seriously wrong. Just got back from a show with our latest automatic diesel and it was useless up hills, we're just waiting for something to break so we can get rid!
As for the Freelanders, although I and most people I know would never tow anything more than one horse or two teeny ponies, everyone I know who has one loves them! And I want one!

RunToEarth

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think that applies to any Landy though, we've had about 20 (seriously!) Discos in the last couple or few years and most of them have had something go seriously wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
Echo that.landy defs have always been reliable and done the job, though the diesel gauge seems to break after a couple of monthes, but when our Discos have gone wrong, they have been either disasterous or expensive, usually both- visions of us sat on the hard shoulder on way back from york auctions with horse, Ifor trailer and a dead disco, which chose to die on the way up the M1. I missed games practice that night
mad.gif