Larger natives

windand rain

Visit site
Can honestly say although my first love is highlands both mine 13hh, are very forward going and jump 100cm courses for fun so are the most versatile of all for me I also love Dales Annas pones are wonderful and far more inpressive than any other black breed of horse. Fells to me are a bit scrabbly and dont really have a big enough stride for me to want to own one; Given that the right horse was available I would have a highland and then a dales but both are rare breeds and not easily found I am a sucker for a pretty face I like to look at the pony in th field above all else

LHIS

Visit site
I have just seen on Facebook an ad go up in a group called 'cobs and plods for sale and loan' for a lovely looking 11yo 14.2 Dales gelding who's been out and done a few things. Lady selling is called Joelle Johnson if you are at all interested!

Wimbles

Visit site
My friend took on a fell pony. We backed her in the field, got her hacking out at the side of one of my thoroughbreds and she just has the most exceptional attitude, never saying no to anything. She does a nice dressage test, hacks anywhere, beach rides, hunted with perfect manners, jumps etc etc. She's now sat in a field doing nothing as friend has another horse...............maybe I can steal her away and drop her off with you!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
My friend took on a fell pony. We backed her in the field, got her hacking out at the side of one of my thoroughbreds and she just has the most exceptional attitude, never saying no to anything. She does a nice dressage test, hacks anywhere, beach rides, hunted with perfect manners, jumps etc etc. She's now sat in a field doing nothing as friend has another horse...............maybe I can steal her away and drop her off with you!

she sounds lovely! how big... (will she fit in a van as passing that way in August ;) )

windandrain I know what you mean, I like to like what I see-especially in the middle of winter! I've been told there are a few different types of Fell, certainly the ones I used to see doing endurance could cover the ground. I think realistically whatever I get needs to be a little bigger all over-if its safe enough the OH could then have the odd hack while I ride the Exmoor. But will go and look at lots in the meantime :)

so also not ruling out a Highland but they will be easier to find should I go that route.

Wimbles

Visit site
she sounds lovely! how big... (will she fit in a van as passing that way in August ;) )

She's 13.2 so maybe a bit smaller than you would like but my friend is a similar height to you and looks perfect and the pony could take her and the rest of the family! Her loan advert is on preloved if you wanted an idea of pictures of someone of your height on a pony of that size.

Moobli

Visit site
I am not experienced with other Natives (other than Shetlands and they may be rather too wee ;) ) but love Highlands and hope to have another in the future when time allows. If you do decide to consider Highlands, speak to Sally Murray at Lurgan who is near Aberfeldy. She always has fabulous ponies.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
She's 13.2 so maybe a bit smaller than you would like but my friend is a similar height to you and looks perfect and the pony could take her and the rest of the family! Her loan advert is on preloved if you wanted an idea of pictures of someone of your height on a pony of that size.

I've pm'd you

eggs

Visit site
Had a fantastic unregistered 14.2 Dales pony - he won at BE100, BD elementary and SJ 1.20.

Fabulous pony to hack as well - his only real fault was that he would go fence jumping and was rarely found in the field he had been turned out in .....

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
Every Haffy I have know, and theres been a few, have been basically a Section D in a barbie pony body. With the exception of 2, that were only kept partly sane by having the legs worked off them in a riding school. If you dont get on with Ds I'd be having a long hard think about whether a haffy would suit

Lies I tell you, lies :D

Haffs are no different to any other of the native breeds that are considered socially acceptable - it's all in the handling and if you have an Exmoor with no issues you will be fine :)

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
the Haffies? they're purdy :p

I used to know some up here that did endurance and they were super ponies. I also narrowly missed out on a fabulous one years ago-a really lovely all rounder-that I am still kicking myself over! I like the fact they're up to weight, live on fresh air, hard as nails and not too big. The other breed I really admire is the criollo, but they will be out of budget I expect.

its not the hard work of a grey I object to, I am a sucker for a grey but never again.

You can get Criollo's for an okay price, however they are not always a horse you can pick up and put back and left. Some might be, but the ones I've met have to be in constant stimulation - more than any of the pony breeds I've encountered. They are bred for working, and that's all they know. That and the ones you can normally get have been handled in a way that we would query if we saw it here.

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site

You could swing by here and meet Nugz - guarantee he'll confirm you should have a Haflinger :D

I did consider a highland before I got nugz, but they were like hens teeth and out of budget. Would still consider one if in the market for another horse. I rode a brilliant Connie in Ireland as a hireling. Fantastic beast, but never come across one here that matched. We used to have Fells and Dales in the RS and they were okay too and popular because of their temperament. The only Exmoor I've had the pleasure of, came on it's own of the back of a Gillies long haul and was called Bimbo. Nuff said!!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
A wee update, after visiting a few I finally decided on a 9yo Fell gelding-he arrived last week and is settling in well. Didnt even have to travel all that far in the end. I don't know why I was so surprised that they ride so big-because Exmoors also ride bigger-but every time I dismount I am surprised at the closeness of the ground :p He seriously rides like the 15h appy I was riding locally and is only 13.3h (ish). He has tons of bone and amazing feet.

Be nice to have a second one I can fling out on the moor and not worry about sideyways rain/sleet/snow. And he's black, looks good in every colour ;)

sorry if this is really big

attachment.php

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Well you kept that quiet, I thought of you while somerset friend was flying to edinburgh to view a dark bay highland last week!
More pictures as you go please :D Lovely face and beard.

Annagain

Visit site
I don't want a grey because I lost my amazing horse at 11yo due to aggressive melanomas-no greys.

I rarely see a Connie these days with decent bone and apart from that, they would be out of budget and too sporty for my needs. I don't want to deal with a Section D brain-we would not be suited. I've known enough of them to know I don't want one (although I now expect to be regaled with stores of bombproof, sane Ds ;) )

Mine was bombproof but definitely not sane. One out of two ain't bad :D.
Your new boy looks lovely. Hope you have many years of happiness and fun together.

Notimetoride

Visit site
Cant you just kind of close your eyes to the actual breeding, and just look for adverts and descriptions of ponies that suit you ? All my childhood, I never knew any of the breeding of any ponies I rode. You either just liked the pony or didnt. You might be limiting yourself by ruling out specific breeds. Bit like wedding dress shopping - they usually look rubbish on the hanger but look stunning when you put them on. Keep an open mind I say (though I do get the reluctance to have a grey)

Visit site
Good choice! Fells are really adaptable! I will get another one myself one day when the crew here has depleted enough to warrant getting another.

Good luck with your beautiful new pony! I hope you enjoy many years of fun together!