Larkhill or Portman?

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
A bit early but trying to come up with a few tentative plans and work backwards with regards to preparation.

Looking for a first time novice - Ideally it would be clear questions, not trappy and flat Sjing.

April is looking a bit sparse at the moment for kinder Novices in the SW (I am guessing Withington is not for a newly upgraded horse? and Bicton definitely is not!) so I either aim at one of the above or wait till May when we have a plethora of events.

Thoughts?

star

Visit site
Larkhill is lovely. I did the 90 last yr but I have grand ambitions and I thought the Novice looked very jumpable. I think Larkhill has a reputation for being a good first Novice. Dont know Portman.

Rebels

Visit site
Larkhill has a sloping sj and novice xc generally rides OK but is built along the older fashioned xc lines with big open timber jumps. Portman rides well, haven't been there as many times, does get wet.

lex2501

Visit site
I would say there's not much between them. Both kind xc - although Portman flatter. Larkhill SJ is on the tough side due to being on a slope, but portman's was a bit tricky last year as arena very small!

Golden_Match_II

www.event-stablebarn.weebly.com
Last season I rode around Portman Novice and Fence Judged and walked Larkhill Novice. Both were similar in that they're fairly short, and only have a couple of tests xc. The SJ at Portman caused a lot of problems in my class last year, but I was in the u18 so may not have been representative - I'm not sure about the SJ at Larkhill.

If it were me, I think I'd flip a coin or choose whichever was closer. I would say Larkhill is pretty spread out, whereas Portman has more of a centre to it, with the SJ arena surrounded by tradestands. Larkhill felt a bit bleak last year out on the xc course, but the dressage at Portman is a bit out the way!

I probably liked Portman more, probably because I just felt the XC was a bit more interesting.

FrecklesMum

Visit site
I did lark hill as my first novice at the end of last season - I though the SJ was actually on the small side. Ring was on a bit of a slope and clears few and far between at SJ due to double followed by tough upright down a hill but in fairness, it jumped well as a whole course.

XC was v nice but did have a step/upright double. v few probs XC in total.

I had heard that Portman was more trappy XC and personally I would always prefer big and fair like Larkhill XC.

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Agree with comments above. If you go back to October on my blog have a video of SJ and XC at Larkhill. Rides well but SJ tricky due to slope.

LEC

www.youtube.com
My issue is I ride the SJing like a t**t. I have been doing a fair amount of Sjing this year but its on lovely surfaces BSJA so though height is not an issue I will not have been able to practice on grass perhaps as much as I wanted.

TheoryX1

Visit site
Mini TX has ridden around both. I have to admit she is not overly keen on Portman as had a horrible fall xc at a very simple table jump 3 from home in an ONU18. The sj at Portman also looks straightforward, but it actually isnt and was in a very small arena.

Larkhill on the other hand seems to suit - in fact she won a BE100open at the end of the 2011 season. Her mare is a pole basher and although the sj is on a slope, she went clear no trouble. Also, its lovely old turf as well so less chance of it being cancelled due to rain.

She will be doing her first Novice of the season at Larkhill, so it looks like there will be a few HHOers there by the sound of it.

grumblebee

Visit site
Hello

Haven't ridden at Portman but having ridden at Lark Hill a couple of times I would have no worries about taking a horse round for it's first novice as I found course quite straight forward! As others have mentioned the SJ is on a slope so requires a bit more thoughtful riding!

Good luck!!

LEC

www.youtube.com
Would that would be the same organisation that puts Pontispool and West Wilts a day apart in Sept?!?

TableDancer

Visit site
Would that would be the same organisation that puts Pontispool and West Wilts a day apart in Sept?!?

And still manages to ensure that there is not a single Novice section at either venue over the weekend?! (WW on Friday, Pontispool on Monday...) :rolleyes:

Re your OP, all previous points are valid, both are perfectly suitable first-timers' courses, you pays your money and takes your choice: I slightly prefer Portman as it has a bit more atmosphere - plus I've never known them ballot, certainly at Novice, while Larkhill frequently does which might be worth considering. Larkhill is very spread out, is always freezing and pretty bleak too - I like my eventing cosy these days ;) :D