Video Last minute schooling video clip

BunnyDog

Visit site
We're off to a schooling show tomorrow with Cudo to tackle 1.30 again. 2 rounds this time. But we've landed a whopper of a competitor in our division. See attached pic.

No matter what we need time and experience so that's what we're doing. Win lose or draw there's always a lesson to learn.

So I let him pop over a few fences tonight and he was quite fresh but we're seeing some positive changes coming through.

Holding his leads better
Being more adjustable
Never once peeking at the yoga mats. Just a lot to like.

So wish us luck tomorrow. I'll update once we're done.

Emily

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190606-173740_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20190606-173740_Facebook.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 111

j1ffy

Visit site
Very true Bernster!

Looking good there Emily, I think you're going to need some bigger jump wings soon!! Best of luck tomorrow, I'm sure you'll hold your own.

SpringArising

Visit site
Good luck for tomorrow. Cudo is a lovely horse. I love your barn and the surroundings - how much is it to lease something like that over there?

JFTDWS

Visit site
Lovely horse.

You could write what I know about SJ on the back of a postage stamp, so I'll leave it at that :D

BunnyDog

Visit site
Well....they can't all be the brilliant double clear rounds. LOL. You all would get sick of me posting stuff all the time!!!

So we had a solid learning day.

But no clear rounds.

Cudo was pure class and did a great job. There are always lessons in all days with horses and today was no exception.

We're improving:
Lead changes
Staying on the same lead
Confidence over bigger courses and
Not chasing at distances nor yanking (work in progress 🤷‍♀️)

We need improvement with:
Course flow
Understanding all of the course designer's questions
Balancing workloads (schooling, warm up etc.)
Moving him forward off my leg.

We did accomplish our goal of getting more 1.30 courses under our belt. By virtue of being the only person in one of the 2 1.30 classes I won a blue ribbon but the round that earned it was probably my most disjointed over all of 2019. 🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️

We didn't have any clear rounds today which isn't very usual but I'm second guessing the brief jump school we did last night. I haven't jumped the day before a show in a long time and I'm thinking Cudo needs more time between schools. But having said that, I made rider mistakes too and it was warm and a bit humid too. So many areas needed the schooling and I'm so thankful The Ridge understands that everyone needs help and offers schooling at this level.

I really do believe in being the honest rider on the web. I want everyone to know that 'meh' days aren't my favorite thing but they happen. The fallen rails today will push me to improve and help find a schedule/routine that my horse needs to perform his best. It happens to all of us and I think humility about this process is as important as everything else. I'm learning how to ride a height I've not shown in before. It's the same height that eventers jump at a 5* competition so while it's not the top level in jumpers, it is higher than what I did in eventing. I got as high as Intermediate which was 1.15m at the time.

So here you go, 3 rounds (1 at 1.20. 2 at 1.30) of us working on ourselves and dropping rails. It's not pretty but learning can be ugly sometimes. Doesn't mean it's any less impactful.

Em

SpringArising

Visit site
I really do believe in being the honest rider on the web. I want everyone to know that 'meh' days aren't my favorite thing but they happen.

I don't think Meh days are any of our favourite days.

However, your Meh days are still eloquent and composed. My Meh day the other weekend had people in the crowd laughing one minute and gasping the next...

JFTDWS

Visit site
Perspective is everything, isn't it? For most of us on here, a couple of poles in a 1.30 class is an unthinkably "good day". In fact, when I get round to taking my wee mare out to some SJ, we'll be hitting up a 60cm class, and I'll be pretty happy if she rolls a couple of poles during a smooth and sensible round. So from my perspective, well done on having an absolutely cracking day ;)

That said, I understand it's not the day you wanted, and you'll obviously be aiming to use it as a springboard to better things, which is also grand.

BunnyDog

Visit site
Good luck for tomorrow. Cudo is a lovely horse. I love your barn and the surroundings - how much is it to lease something like that over there?

I pay $900/month.

But by far the best part is that it's 2 miles from my house.

That makes it worth it. It's a 5 stall barn but I use one stall for hay/ straw.

Right now only 3 horses live there, Cudo, Chad and Beau so there's an empty stall but I prefer only caring for 3 rather than 4.

Em

ElectricChampagne

Visit site
You know what, I think you are amazing. Sharing the good as well as the bad. Its really refreshing.

Well done for going, getting out there and having an amazing attitude to it all. You deserve a massive pat on the back.

I love how you call it a learning day and you.

I think all young riders (and not as young like me!!) could learn a lot from you.

Here is to the next one and the very best of luck, you're armed with the lessons you learned from this, which I commend you for :)

p.s. Cudo is gorgeous!

BunnyDog

Visit site
You know what, I think you are amazing. Sharing the good as well as the bad. Its really refreshing.

Well done for going, getting out there and having an amazing attitude to it all. You deserve a massive pat on the back.

I love how you call it a learning day and you.

I think all young riders (and not as young like me!!) could learn a lot from you.

Here is to the next one and the very best of luck, you're armed with the lessons you learned from this, which I commend you for :)

p.s. Cudo is gorgeous!

You made my day. Thank you. The funny part was that I got 200+ reactions/ more than a few dozen comments on Facebook when I shared the picture of Phillip and I in the entries. And then I did post a recap and this video and it's been like crickets. It's hard to admit that your day didn't go to plan but it's important to not just share the great days.

I mean I have watched US Team riders have epic bad schools. I have seen lots of crap, but all over the web we only see ribbons and smiles. Well that's NOT life with horses.

For sure I will have to skip something because one/some of my horses will have an abscess, or a wound or something.

I will fall off. I will misread all the lines and screw up. I will equally have great days, jump stellar rounds and feel like McLain Ward. It's not just one way in life, it's the whole spectrum.

Yesterday was a glorious warm but not hot sunny day with a great breeze. You know what I did? 6.5 hours of power washing and cleaning the inside of my horse trailer. (US version of Wagons) The boys stayed out all day and grazed happily with the sun on their backs.

Tonight (it's raining) and I will be organizing in my garage all the contents that I took out of the trailer. It's time to clean and sort and chuck/sell the things I don't need. This is the boring stuff that is also a part of horse life.

It's really fun to get ribbons and post pics of them but for me it's more about doing my best for me and my horses every day. So THANK YOU for acknowledging that. I really appreciate it.

Em

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
BunnyDog, I really appreciate your last post about reporting on bad days as well as good. I am not a huge Facebooker but it annoys me when I see people posting all their red ribbons and then when I see them at a show the next week and it doesn't go so well, they say nothing. It not a real representation of life and especially horses!

Tinsel

Visit site
You made my day. Thank you. The funny part was that I got 200+ reactions/ more than a few dozen comments on Facebook when I shared the picture of Phillip and I in the entries. And then I did post a recap and this video and it's been like crickets. It's hard to admit that your day didn't go to plan but it's important to not just share the great days.

I mean I have watched US Team riders have epic bad schools. I have seen lots of crap, but all over the web we only see ribbons and smiles. Well that's NOT life with horses.

For sure I will have to skip something because one/some of my horses will have an abscess, or a wound or something.

I will fall off. I will misread all the lines and screw up. I will equally have great days, jump stellar rounds and feel like McLain Ward. It's not just one way in life, it's the whole spectrum.

Yesterday was a glorious warm but not hot sunny day with a great breeze. You know what I did? 6.5 hours of power washing and cleaning the inside of my horse trailer. (US version of Wagons) The boys stayed out all day and grazed happily with the sun on their backs.

Tonight (it's raining) and I will be organizing in my garage all the contents that I took out of the trailer. It's time to clean and sort and chuck/sell the things I don't need. This is the boring stuff that is also a part of horse life.

It's really fun to get ribbons and post pics of them but for me it's more about doing my best for me and my horses every day. So THANK YOU for acknowledging that. I really appreciate it.

Em
It sounds like you had been very busy I hope you can get mmore riding done when the rain has gone away I agree about the rosettes comment

BunnyDog

Visit site
It sounds like you had been very busy I hope you can get more riding done when the rain has gone away I agree about the rosettes comment
Oh that was Monday. I rode Tues, Weds. Today it rained a bit but I will likely ride up and down the roads to stay moving and keep the fitness going. Once I am done at work that is.

Em