Last night a Thoroughbred saved my life...

dominobrown

Visit site
Well actually the title is factually incorrect... on Monday morning a thoroughbred saved my life... kind of.
After a busy weekedtaking my youngster and my friends notriously difficult youngster around their first hunter trials and being semi successful with 2 compleations, helping with my friends arab colt to load etc etc, was planning on a productive monday morning tidying up and cleaning out the wagon I had borrowed to go competing with ar the weekend, as my land rover chassis has apprantly snapped in half.

Leading 2 horses to the field, as I always do, a thoroughbred and a big huge horse. Something spooked the big horse, I dont know what ( I had shut the dogs away, it was their normal field etc) and it launched forwards into me and the other horse.
You know when you get that feeling before anythibg actually happens its going to be bad? I felt both hooves land on my back... weirdly my first logical thought was to protect my head as I was on the yard by myself... only managed one kick to the head...
I screamed and he jumped back, then when to bolt forwards again...I am on the floor now, underneath the Thoroughbred. Despite the other cannoning into the little thoroughbree, named Smurf, he held his ground and god only knows hpw avoided stepping on me. At this point the big horse whipped round and took off back to the yard. Smurf was trembling but he didn't move despite his friend galloping off and careful step away from me as I used his legs to climb to me feet.

I managed to complete my task of turning smurf out to the field... got back to the yard and found the big horse in the middle of the yard. He was shaking with fear... I was very qinded and gasping for breath Iand everytime I got hold of it it tried to pull away so I kind of shooed it into an empty stable.
I this point I felt very sick and dizzy, I couldnt breathe and could feel blood running down my back. I mananged to get into the house, climb the stairs and lie down in the spare room.

I hate those people who call an ambulance for nothing so I lay there debating whether I would be fine in a minute and not need one... the pain was immense and I was unsure when someone who next be up at the yard... my partner works 12 hour shifts and liveries arent coming up until evenings at the moment.
I decided to admit defeat and call an ambulance.
Luckily my friend who I had borrowed the wagon off decided to pick it up early... she is a now retried nurse, having nursed for 30 years, so when she knocked on the door and made her way upstairs to find me, wondering why everything was open on the yard and there is one random horse in by itself.
The paramedics arrived soon after, and gave me a lot of morphine. Everyone was concerned that I had punctured a lung.
My partners work where very good at sending him home and my friend sorted the horse in the stable and locked up the yard.
The ambulance journey was horriffic with my heart rte dropping to 15 at one point, probably are reaction to the morphine or me going into shock. Ambulance had to stop a give me fluids of something, apprantly right outside my ex boyfriends parents house.

Anyways I managed to escape with some broken ribs, a torn shoukder ligament that might need an operation and maybe a small amount of internal bleeding.

I am now stressing and scared about the yard. Two horses have gone home already so my income is declining rapidly. My part time staff have become full time so I just hope I can afford to pay bills etc. I can't really afford to be off longer than a week. My income mainly relies on full liveries and having horses into school. I can't take anyone new on, and obviously people jnow that I wont be doing much schooling so are taking their horses away. I think I might try and ride after the weekend, I will see, but I do feel like I am sruck between a rock and a hard place.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Gosh. Get well soon. Might be worth checking to see if you have any insurance policies that might be able to help out to give you time to recover.

Glad you're ok.

MissGee

Visit site
Sorry to hear all this. As I too spend a lot of time on my yard alone, this is my biggest fear.

Get in touch with the Mark Davies Injured Riders Fund - they may be able to assist?

dominobrown

Visit site
Need to check insurance... pay hundreds a month for it, but I have a feeling my staff are covered... not sure about me.
Awaiting to here back if I need surgery.
It was such a stupid thing to happen.
I am unsure whether I the long term to change the type of horses on my yard, more thoroughbreds and arabs! They are safer.
I was having a little rant to myslef aboit horses not being taught to lead properly... I hate it when people allow the horse to walk behind them and not by their shoulder. This was one of these horses, he had been on my yard less than 2 weeks so he wouldn't be like one of my own horses.

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
Smurf deserves a bucket of apples, what a hero. Glad you aren't more seriously injured, what a terrible thing to happen. Don't try and do too much too soon with that injured shoulder, and best wishes for a speedy recovery x

Lurfy

Visit site
Thank goodness your injuries were not worse. I tore a ligament in my shoulder a couple of years ago. It was very painful, you are a tough cookie! I hope your ribs and shoulder recover quickly. My shoulder fully recovered, I didn't need an operation thankfully. I got exercises from a physio and they really helped.

Smurf sounds like a very good boy. TB's are the best :). I'd be waving goodbye to the big horse who hurt you ASAP.

Archangel

Visit site
What a terrible thing to happen. Fingers crossed you have something on your insurance. Smurf really is a hero.

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.

dominobrown

Visit site
I am spending today in bed doing admin and hounding this forum.
Yesterday I ended up trying to help load a naughty horse, hold a foal to get microchipped, tack and help someone try a horse that is in for sellong, only for the owner to have a wobble about selling it, then sort out the contractors who where cutting the hay where they needed to go. Plus other bits and bobs so was on the yard from 9.30 to 6.30.
Obviously done too much as ribs are agnony today.

ozpoz

Visit site
Smurf is a hero and a darling. Poor you, get better soon - and I hope your owners are understanding. And that you get shot of the 'kicks when worried' big one.

dominobrown

Visit site
I have said a million times there is a difference between quiet and 'numb'. Smurf knew exactly where his feet where and was sharper, as in quicker to move out my way. The big horse is a 'dope on a rope' but not clever and clumsy.
I think a lot of accidents happen, like this one, when people get a big quiet horse, instead of a little ex racer like Smurf, but they are switched off and numb and not actually that quiet, or at least don't think about their actions.
I think this is why I like sharp horses, especially cross country on Sunday as they are quick enough to get their feet out of the way and look after themselves some what.
I am afraid this incident has confirmed it, I like thoroughbreds, arabs and clever natives like Connemaras. The horse that squished me was clyesdale cross and knocking on 18hh!

twiggy2

Visit site
Sounds like you were very lucky and thank goodness for Smurf.
It also sounds like you need to give your body a chance to recover, take it at least a little bit easy for a few days.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Well actually the title is factually incorrect... on Monday morning a thoroughbred saved my life... kind of.
After a busy weekedtaking my youngster and my friends notriously difficult youngster around their first hunter trials and being semi successful with 2 compleations, helping with my friends arab colt to load etc etc, was planning on a productive monday morning tidying up and cleaning out the wagon I had borrowed to go competing with ar the weekend, as my land rover chassis has apprantly snapped in half.

Leading 2 horses to the field, as I always do, a thoroughbred and a big huge horse. Something spooked the big horse, I dont know what ( I had shut the dogs away, it was their normal field etc) and it launched forwards into me and the other horse.
You know when you get that feeling before anythibg actually happens its going to be bad? I felt both hooves land on my back... weirdly my first logical thought was to protect my head as I was on the yard by myself... only managed one kick to the head...
I screamed and he jumped back, then when to bolt forwards again...I am on the floor now, underneath the Thoroughbred. Despite the other cannoning into the little thoroughbree, named Smurf, he held his ground and god only knows hpw avoided stepping on me. At this point the big horse whipped round and took off back to the yard. Smurf was trembling but he didn't move despite his friend galloping off and careful step away from me as I used his legs to climb to me feet.

I managed to complete my task of turning smurf out to the field... got back to the yard and found the big horse in the middle of the yard. He was shaking with fear... I was very qinded and gasping for breath Iand everytime I got hold of it it tried to pull away so I kind of shooed it into an empty stable.
I this point I felt very sick and dizzy, I couldnt breathe and could feel blood running down my back. I mananged to get into the house, climb the stairs and lie down in the spare room.

I hate those people who call an ambulance for nothing so I lay there debating whether I would be fine in a minute and not need one... the pain was immense and I was unsure when someone who next be up at the yard... my partner works 12 hour shifts and liveries arent coming up until evenings at the moment.
I decided to admit defeat and call an ambulance.
Luckily my friend who I had borrowed the wagon off decided to pick it up early... she is a now retried nurse, having nursed for 30 years, so when she knocked on the door and made her way upstairs to find me, wondering why everything was open on the yard and there is one random horse in by itself.
The paramedics arrived soon after, and gave me a lot of morphine. Everyone was concerned that I had punctured a lung.
My partners work where very good at sending him home and my friend sorted the horse in the stable and locked up the yard.
The ambulance journey was horriffic with my heart rte dropping to 15 at one point, probably are reaction to the morphine or me going into shock. Ambulance had to stop a give me fluids of something, apprantly right outside my ex boyfriends parents house.

Anyways I managed to escape with some broken ribs, a torn shoukder ligament that might need an operation and maybe a small amount of internal bleeding.

I am now stressing and scared about the yard. Two horses have gone home already so my income is declining rapidly. My part time staff have become full time so I just hope I can afford to pay bills etc. I can't really afford to be off longer than a week. My income mainly relies on full liveries and having horses into school. I can't take anyone new on, and obviously people jnow that I wont be doing much schooling so are taking their horses away. I think I might try and ride after the weekend, I will see, but I do feel like I am sruck between a rock and a hard place.

OMG just reading that made me live through it.

Thank god for smurffy and a few treats for him I am sure. How luck that friend came to help you as it is scary when injured and no one around. (My boy broncked me off a few years back in the school and I stayed on 4 and then landed on the gate post with my back and then landed on jump poles again on my back I was all alone)

You take it easy don't rush to get back out there in case you do further damage. Is there anyone around you can help?? maybe from another livery or riding school?

wishing you speedy recovery.

I too run this yard single handed except today my day off, and it has happened when injury happens and I am here alone.

It is hard when fiances are tough to make ends me (I am in that situation) and it does not help when a livery who gave notice then asked she would stay if she could be diy till she gets a new job and we agreed on the previsory back onto part in September. THe waits 3 days later and hands her notice in anyway so she sees out her notice on diy instead of part. THEN this morning she text you and says her son's car is broken down so she has cancelled the cheque which includes livery and schooling.

Looks like court procedures again.

Last edited:

dominobrown

Visit site
Sounds awful... luckily my DIYs are great at the moment. Weeded out the bad ones and have been helping to fill waters and haynets etc.
It was just sheer luck that my friend decided to show up an hour early , or at all as she wasn't sure ifnshe would come through on monday at all.
The paramedics and healthcare workers at the hospital where amazing.

FFAQ

Visit site
Flipping heck! Poor you! Well done Smurf - I take back all the rude things I've ever said about thoroughbreds!

It's an awful thing to have happen, but it did make me laugh to read 'I could feel blood trickling down my back.....i hate to call an ambulance for no reason' - you are one tough cookie!

It might be worth contacting citizens advice to see if there is any financial help available to you. You never know!

Hope you recover quickly xx

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I have said a million times there is a difference between quiet and 'numb'. Smurf knew exactly where his feet where and was sharper, as in quicker to move out my way. The big horse is a 'dope on a rope' but not clever and clumsy.
I think a lot of accidents happen, like this one, when people get a big quiet horse, instead of a little ex racer like Smurf, but they are switched off and numb and not actually that quiet, or at least don't think about their actions.
I think this is why I like sharp horses, especially cross country on Sunday as they are quick enough to get their feet out of the way and look after themselves some what.
I am afraid this incident has confirmed it, I like thoroughbreds, arabs and clever natives like Connemaras. The horse that squished me was clyesdale cross and knocking on 18hh!

And that is one of the most astute things I've seen on HHO. A lifetime working with horses and all my worst injuries have involved the big "quiet" ones.

Hope you have a quick recovery x

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
And that is one of the most astute things I've seen on HHO. A lifetime working with horses and all my worst injuries have involved the big "quiet" ones.

Hope you have a quick recovery x

I don't ride my mare anymore (as she is a bit bonkers) but I've always felt that I would trust her to save me more in a dire situation than my mum's dopey appaloosa. He might be the easier ride but the sharp ones are often the smart ones in my opinion.

OP - sending you lots of good wishes for a fast recovery. Please avoid doing too much in your injured state, if you can.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
That sounds horrific, OP. Don't try to do too much until you are properly better, or you will set your recovery back.
And make a resolution to *never* lead more than one horse at a time, when you are on your own, especially if you don't know the horse well.