last resorts for permanent tail stains!

mandwhy

Visit site
Right I've tried all kinds on my haflinger's tail and she has a big show this week. Is there anything else to try that will remove wee stains that are essentially permanent?

I've tried many shampoos - horse, dog and human, including the purple toner one. I've also tried vanish bar and washing tablets which did the best job and also vinegar which I will do again (can't find white vinegar anywhere could do with soaking it in that!).

She has a big full tail which is easy to wash well away from her as she stands ok these days, and rinse lots (she doesn't even like water dripping round her legs) so I don't mind using something relatively harsh.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I've bought a tail gaiter and in a year I will be stain free (when the current tail has grown out :eek:)

No help for the show but thought I'd mention!

mandwhy

Visit site
Ooh the tail gator looks good, especially for muddy winter and when she's in season (eurgh) I have heard of some sort of tail bucket for soaking and trying to think of a way I can do this cheaply with a plastic bag, I could just leave that on while I wash the rest of her and and the mega mane!

I have used warm water the past few times it is definitely the way to go! So much carting water carriers and I never bring enough!

I haven't tried the steradent tablets yet, I was thinking of trying soda crystals as I found some today super cheap. Hmm!

I have done my back in slightly with all this washing, who knew it was such a workout! I WILL get it white and I will NOT be hobbling like quasimodo on the day!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
It always looks whiter from a distance as well. I am always amazed how good Amber's tail looks from a distance after a few washes because I *know* what its stained with (bleurgh!). I use vanish. I'm not sure its better than anything else tho.

Fii

Visit site
I have used soda crystals on a white tail, just the ends though not the dock! I had thought it hadnt worked very well then i realized that the "dirt" that hadnt come out was actually ginger hairs! :D

Suelin

Visit site
Peroxide, the sort that hairdressers use. Used to use it on show ponies socks on a yard I worked on years ago. They gleamed. Might be worth a try.