last trip to vet school?

princessa81

Visit site
big horse is scheduled to go back to vet school (3rd time in 8 weeks) on wednesday : (
he hasn't really responded well to the steroid injections or the pulse therapy he has had. The looming decision of putting him to sleep has been hanging over us for weeks. I hate coming on H and H as I just wanna cry with all the stories of normal ok horses that are rideable and not lame 24/7.

I love my guy, and I feed him everyday even though people say I shouldnt as he lives out,doesnt work, and has acres of grass to eat. I just love being near him to give him a cuddle or two.

sorry just feeling sorry for ones self : (

zeffaroo

New User
Visit site
aww no...so sorry to hear that. i feel for you going through it all.
i had my beloved pts at the start of august after he had been lame since april...gradually getting worse...i spoke to vet most days and the wednesday night the on call vet came out...the thursday i spoke to vet from practise who had been treating him to arrange more xrays as advised by the other vet...for her to say 'as long as your ok to make the decision, i dont think there is any point in doing any more xrays as we all know where this is going'
two hours later she was there with the needle then the man with the van as i call it arrived. it is awful and although he gradually got worse it did come as a shock and you can never prepare youself for it...i wouldnt wish it upon anyone to experience it...all i would say is check what your covered for...i wasnt covered for disposal which i knew, but this week found out 'the needle' (dont say the 'e' word) wasnt covered so i have that to foot now too.
it does get easier in time if the worst comes to the worst...but make sure you grieve properly...and do what you feel you need to do.
i got some of his tail hair...kept some as tail and had a bracelet and necklace made from tailendjewellery...and i can honestly say its fantastic and wear it all the time...that way he is always with me.
i wish you and your horse the best of luck and do hope he recovers.

princessa81

Visit site
bilateral suspensory ligament desmitis?

all i know is he has had 3 lots of treatments and is no better.

my insurance covers me for everything.....and too be honest i dont even care about the insurance....all i know is that he goes in on wednesday and we will find out where we go from there. my husband has been amazing..too be honest he is really upset at the thought of losing buzz( he is his big pal)and never moans about the time or money spent xxxxx

i love all my animals but im losing my positivity.

xxxxxx

Holly Hocks

Visit site
That's exactly what Blue has - she was diagnosed at Glasgow as well. (along with navicular, arthritis and spavin!)

It can take several months for it to heal. They actually advised me to box rest, but I gave her turnout just to keep her sane - she would have been seriously dangerous in her box. Has the vet not advised whether a neurectomy would be an option?

I also took her shoes off and went down the barefoot route - dont know if that in itself has worked, but she is fine now..... x

cambrica

Visit site
My thoughts and hugs sent to you in big waves...
Horses have been my life for 40 yrs and I have had the best times and unfortunately the worst as well. Highs and heartbreaking times but I wouldn't change a thing.
I hope you have good news. Be strong and don't feel you are alone as we all feel as you do and at some time or another have to face these awful decisions.
I lost my beloved mare earlier this year to colic, its still painful but the love I gave her and she returned makes me smile.

princessa81

Visit site
holly hocks!

omg its nice to hear someone has gone throught the same..the only last resort they have mentioned is snipping of the suspensory ligament nerve,but no guarentee he will be rideable again. buzz lives out 24/7 so i discussed with vets what to do with him rest wise and they suggested fencing off a half tennis court size pasture...i did so and he stressed out so much he destroyed his field shelter. i took the decision to move him to another field beside some donkeys and he has settled brilliantly. still lame though,so off to vet school on wednesday.

i really dont care about the insurance or money...just dont want him in pain.

Elizabeth

xxx

princessa81

Visit site
aww no...so sorry to hear that. i feel for you going through it all.
i had my beloved pts at the start of august after he had been lame since april...gradually getting worse...i spoke to vet most days and the wednesday night the on call vet came out...the thursday i spoke to vet from practise who had been treating him to arrange more xrays as advised by the other vet...for her to say 'as long as your ok to make the decision, i dont think there is any point in doing any more xrays as we all know where this is going'
two hours later she was there with the needle then the man with the van as i call it arrived. it is awful and although he gradually got worse it did come as a shock and you can never prepare youself for it...i wouldnt wish it upon anyone to experience it...all i would say is check what your covered for...i wasnt covered for disposal which i knew, but this week found out 'the needle' (dont say the 'e' word) wasnt covered so i have that to foot now too.
it does get easier in time if the worst comes to the worst...but make sure you grieve properly...and do what you feel you need to do.
i got some of his tail hair...kept some as tail and had a bracelet and necklace made from tailendjewellery...and i can honestly say its fantastic and wear it all the time...that way he is always with me.
i wish you and your horse the best of luck and do hope he recovers.

zefraro you have brought a tear to my eye... i hadnt even thought of taking a piece of him.....but i will x just something to keep the memory alive.. just trying not to think of it. I hate losing animals as everybody does, but i just feel ive failed him.

Elizabeth

xxx

Holly Hocks

Visit site
holly hocks!

omg its nice to hear someone has gone throught the same..the only last resort they have mentioned is snipping of the suspensory ligament nerve,but no guarentee he will be rideable again. buzz lives out 24/7 so i discussed with vets what to do with him rest wise and they suggested fencing off a half tennis court size pasture...i did so and he stressed out so much he destroyed his field shelter. i took the decision to move him to another field beside some donkeys and he has settled brilliantly. still lame though,so off to vet school on wednesday.

i really dont care about the insurance or money...just dont want him in pain.

Elizabeth

xxx

I do hope that he improves for you. Let us know how you get on at vet school. I have heard some good success stories of the neurectomy (the snipping of the nerve that you were advised about). x

princessa81

Visit site
My thoughts and hugs sent to you in big waves...
Horses have been my life for 40 yrs and I have had the best times and unfortunately the worst as well. Highs and heartbreaking times but I wouldn't change a thing.
I hope you have good news. Be strong and don't feel you are alone as we all feel as you do and at some time or another have to face these awful decisions.
I lost my beloved mare earlier this year to colic, its still painful but the love I gave her and she returned makes me smile.

thank you cambrica.

i do feel alone as everyone i come across in life have no sympathy for my situ. the are jealous and couldnt care. my husband is my rock and gives me anything we need (money or time....or just a cuddle for me and buzz)so i cant complain too badly. im never on here as too busy. We arent on a yard so im very isolated from any help physical or vocal..just sad xxxx

zeffaroo

New User
Visit site
dont ever feel like you have failed, your posting on here so obviously shows you care... although i dont know you you have probably done all you can for your horse and more... i know it doesnt make it any easier at the time though, but im sure he will appreciate what you are doing for him and have done for him.
you can get their ashes if cremated but i really do like my tail jewellery and it was a visual part of him. fingers crossed wednesday brings good news for you x

princessa81

Visit site
I do hope that he improves for you. Let us know how you get on at vet school. I have heard some good success stories of the neurectomy (the snipping of the nerve that you were advised about). x

holly hocks thank you.....i will endevour to let you know. my head is firmly up my backside at the mo, but i will i promise.

Elizabeth

xxx

princessa81

Visit site
dont ever feel like you have failed, your posting on here so obviously shows you care... although i dont know you you have probably done all you can for your horse and more... i know it doesnt make it any easier at the time though, but im sure he will appreciate what you are doing for him and have done for him.
you can get their ashes if cremated but i really do like my tail jewellery and it was a visual part of him. fingers crossed wednesday brings good news for you x

thanks hun xxx

im gonna have to log off now as ive drunk too much wine and am snivelling too loudly xxx
again thank you xxx

EventingMum

Visit site
So sorry for you - these situations are so hard. For what it's worth I think the vets at Glasgow are fantastic. We've had several horses referred there over the years and this year alone had three there for different (unrelated) problems, two of which are still being treated, and every time they have been great, willingly to discuss things and very understanding. Good luck on Wednesday.

princessa81

Visit site
So sorry for you - these situations are so hard. For what it's worth I think the vets at Glasgow are fantastic. We've had several horses referred there over the years and this year alone had three there for different (unrelated) problems, two of which are still being treated, and every time they have been great, willingly to discuss things and very understanding. Good luck on Wednesday.

eventing mum!
now that im sober im allowed back near the computer lol.

thanks again and yeah you are right, the guys and gals at the vet school have been great.

Elizabeth

x