Last weekend in March plans

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Well, I might have Covid so...there's my plans.

OH tested positive but I'm still testing negative and just feel like my allergies have flared up. Hopefully it stays that way. Cancelled my entry for next weekends clinic just to be safe. Also didn't want to lose 110€ ;)

I did buy a second hand jump saddle this week, so fingers crossed it gets here and fits (good chance, wasn't just a random buy).

Friend is caring for the horse but I reduced his rations so he doesn't get too plump in my absence ?

Looking forward to living vicariously through all of you while I do...mostly nothing.

palo1

Visit site
Well not much planned for the weekend but right now I am just bursting with a tiny bit of joy; it has taken months and months but I have finally managed to create a 'training budget' (it is tiny but even so...) and today Alw and I tootled off for an arena hire - just the two of us. :) It is such a small achievement I know but several months ago even the idea of doing anything other than paying feed and vets bills was totally daunting and frankly rather unimaginable. Last Saturday we did a baby jumping clinic which was really useful but in fact Alw was a bit 'meh' about it. Today she was on fire and we had some lovely circles in canter, super rhythmic trot, happy leg yielding and even a bit of counter canter on both reins. I did let her pop a couple of fillers too and she was definitely up for that - giving them a really unnecessary amount of air! It is probably years since I made time for arena based schooling on my own and it really was wonderful to have the space and time to play, twiddle and enjoy. There is much to work on still but I have already booked the same for next week. We all need a bit of what I felt today so hoping everyone has a lovely weekend!! Mine will probably be hacking both horses and getting horse 3 off box rest and into phase 1 rehab. :)

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Sorry about the Covid, this was me the weekend before last.

Other than that, pah, we aren't doing much this weekend, but that's OK because because... we did our first dressage ever, in fact baby horse's first competition ever, on Tuesday.

He did really well. He isn't the bravest, but tends to just slow down when not confident. He trotted up the centre line, got confused as to why I was asking him to trot towards a car, had a little walk, continued but bannana-ing at the boards, but soon got over that too and he had never been in a dressed dressage arena before.

All good, got 66%, at times we showed what work is to come.

He was vaccinated just now, today, so is having an easier weekend but then we are hiring our first ever cross country on Tuesday. Looks like I may be going on my own, which isn't ideal, but it will be fine.

Good luck to everyone else.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Boo hiss to Covid and box resting horses :(

Fab post palo!

Enjoy Munstead Bernster.

I have one weekend left to prepare for Northallerton so it was plaiting practice today (I am so, so depressingly rubbish at it) then a final play on the 80 acres at Somerford on Sunday. Hope to do a few bigger lines so the 80s look small!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Farrier 1st thing tomorrow, hoping to squeeze in a short ride of sorts after as booked out for non horse stuff from late morning.
SJ clinic with RC Saturday early afternoon with visiting SJ trainer who is blooming fab!
Sunday I'll probably pootle out.

Good luck to those competing, hope poorly people and horses improve x

j1ffy

Visit site
Sorry about the COVID break CC, I hope you continue to avoid it. It’s not much fun!

I’m clear of covid now but Chilli’s having his hooves x-rayed tomorrow so plans will all depend on that.

Palo, love your update! That sounds like fun.
Jeni, Paddy looks lovely!!

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Local wood ride tomorrow. Local stud open day on Saturday and a straw delivery. Sunday another wood ride but woods further away with a cafe for coffee and cake after the ride! Monday I've book an arena with xc jumps and sj's. Can't find anyone to go with me so I may or may not go!! Tuesday OH and I are taking dog to the beach. Have a lovely weekend everyone ?

Sheep

Visit site
So this weekend was due to be our regional dressage finals but horse still isn’t quite right, so we withdrew earlier in the week. Have been to see our wonderful chiro vet who has given him his regular treatment and reckons it is likely a mild strain to the fetlock. Not too severe but enough that I could feel it! Box rest and cold hosing until Weds, allowed to do some gentle in hand work to keep him ticking over… going well so far ?

F1DEE83F-8FB1-4680-9BBE-3757164DA613.jpeg

Michen

Visit site
I was not planning on going this weekend but decided to enter offchurch as the ground is just perfect at the moment and I’m very picky, so realistically am limited with the number of events I do post April/may.

Haven’t xc schooled but he doesn’t need it so just hoping for a calm dressage and a nice pop around the 80 :)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Oh dear, Sheep! not feeling sorry for himself then!

Will be trying to maintain the momentum with Q now after our lesson yesterday and probably do some more with Frank if the arena is quiet. Another lesson booked for Wednesday.

F bossed his lunging skool this evening :D

275999220_5334430596568407_2158747187026451776_n.jpg

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Working on call and given the time of year I’d like to get to ride my pony. Realistically will just be flatwork/groundwork or maybe a pootle round the block if I’m feeling that the on call gods are on my side!

Feel really positive after last weekend though, and I’ve managed to re-arrange my XC lesson which got cancelled. So now will get 1 school in before Norton (to hopefully install more brakes and less sideways)

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
Our first show jumping comp of the year! Taking both horses out as we are prepping for our first big multi day comp over easter. so 4 rounds on Sunday. Am cleaning my gear as soon as I have posted this and tomorrow both horses will have a bit of a gymnastic jump to tune up their form before Sunday. I am pretty excited!

southerncomfort

Visit site
Well, I might have Covid so...there's my plans.

OH tested positive but I'm still testing negative and just feel like my allergies have flared up. Hopefully it stays that way. Cancelled my entry for next weekends clinic just to be safe. Also didn't want to lose 110€ ;)

I did buy a second hand jump saddle this week, so fingers crossed it gets here and fits (good chance, wasn't just a random buy).

Friend is caring for the horse but I reduced his rations so he doesn't get too plump in my absence ?

Looking forward to living vicariously through all of you while I do...mostly nothing.

Same here CC except I've been wiped out by flu and a chest infection.

Nicest week of the year so far and I've spent it in bed!

Fingers crossed that you stay negative and that your allergies settle down.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Oh wow Rara - I had no idea you conpeted internationally. That's an amazing dressage score ?

I'm hacking this afternoon. I was supposed to be at arena hire for jumping Saturday but have moved that so going to hack instead and try to squeeze a shorter hack in on Sunday before Mother's Day duties.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend in the sunshine ?

Jango

Visit site
Good luck everyone ? Rara that's brilliant! I've got a busy weekend, doing an 8 mile fun ride (hopefully in the glorious sunshine!) on Saturday at Peover hall with a friend and first hack with little Ruby after her maternity leave, then BD on Sunday (prelim and novice) hoping to complete our AF for novice and get a start on points for summer regionals at novice! We jumped round our first competitive 90 track last week at kelsall, had a few down but got super pictures so I'm happy ?View attachment 190322 (578)copy.jpgView attachment 190322 (582)copy (1).jpg

Chippers1

Visit site
Nothing much here either, not really done much recently as been away a bit. I've been riding Buzz in a pelham the last few days to see if it stops him being so strong and he's been so much nicer to ride. On his good days in his normal snaffle I can ride the whole time doing all sorts of transitions just using my voice and seat but on his bad days he leans against me, canters faster and faster etc so I never really have any consistency. It also un nerves me a little after his taking off with me incident with the Beval bit!
In the pelham he's light and responsive all the time and I have breaks! Which means I feel a lot more confident and have a better ride. My only issue at the moment is he feels a bit stuffy in trot but he might just need to get used to it. Going to try jumping today, I jumped him last weekend and he was pulling me everywhere so it'll be an interesting exercise.
I'm going to a hunt ride next weekend so I'll take him in a pelham then for some control! It'll be good to be able to have some control in XC too, last hunter trial he did the first 6 jumps on his own pretty much :D
I do feel a bit like 'all horses should be in a snaffle' and feel a bit bad but he's just muscled up quite a lot in the last year or so and has really started enjoying his jumping so I just need a bit more!
I'm used to riding with two reins as I used to xc my old pony in (the same) pelham, it's just a bit of a faff.

Enjoy your weekends, hope the covid cases recover soon :)

Michen

Visit site
Nothing much here either, not really done much recently as been away a bit. I've been riding Buzz in a pelham the last few days to see if it stops him being so strong and he's been so much nicer to ride. On his good days in his normal snaffle I can ride the whole time doing all sorts of transitions just using my voice and seat but on his bad days he leans against me, canters faster and faster etc so I never really have any consistency. It also un nerves me a little after his taking off with me incident with the Beval bit!
In the pelham he's light and responsive all the time and I have breaks! Which means I feel a lot more confident and have a better ride. My only issue at the moment is he feels a bit stuffy in trot but he might just need to get used to it. Going to try jumping today, I jumped him last weekend and he was pulling me everywhere so it'll be an interesting exercise.
I'm going to a hunt ride next weekend so I'll take him in a pelham then for some control! It'll be good to be able to have some control in XC too, last hunter trial he did the first 6 jumps on his own pretty much :D
I do feel a bit like 'all horses should be in a snaffle' and feel a bit bad but he's just muscled up quite a lot in the last year or so and has really started enjoying his jumping so I just need a bit more!
I'm used to riding with two reins as I used to xc my old pony in (the same) pelham, it's just a bit of a faff.

Enjoy your weekends, hope the covid cases recover soon :)

Bog is hacked in a pelham, shock horror with roundings. I spent years being pulled around until enough was enough, both of us have a better time in the Pelham. i don't use it if only walking and would never school in it.

I also recently put a waterford in for jumping, again he's spent 5 years jumping in a snaffle but frankly he needs bigger jumps than I'm willing to give him and it was just making it really hard to get the canter with him bearing down on me.

So I'm all for ditching the snaffles where appropriate, and his schooling is the best it ever has been so I don't feel I can "school" through the issue. He's keen, cocky and just needs that bit more now.

Chippers1

Visit site
Well Buzz is also a Connemara so maybe it's a connie thing ;) that does make me feel a bit better though! As you do I will school/walk hack in his snaffle and do the more exciting things in a pelham. He also schools really well i the snaffle and can do a great dressage test in it but he can sometimes just be a bit keen too!