Late night checks

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Nope
My YO shuffles off about 5pm and the DIYs are the last ones on the yard. The full liveries are tucked up at 4.30ish.

When I had them at home I'd often nip out before heading to bed.

Wheels

Visit site
What do you call late night? I generally don't leave the yard until about 8 - 8.15 anyway

Then I check them on the CCTV before bed and quite often whenever I wake up in the night

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I check and give more forage at about midnight if they're in the stables... No further checks after dark if they're out.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
When stabled yes. Previously done by various yard owners or trusted other liveries. But at the last yard I started driving out to check them myself. I now have them at home but found out yesterday that after dark field checks cause silliness so won't be doing that again!

Archangel

Visit site
Yes, late night check, top up water and hay and straighten beds. In the summer when they are out I will do a last check just before it gets dark as I am waiting for the dog to find exactly the right spot to do a wee.

beingachicken

Visit site
I used too when we lived just down the road and my horse was in but found firstly he always had plenty of hay left anyway but secondly it unsettled him and he appeared to think it was going out time or something because he'd start banging the door when I left again. There was an elderly lady, nothing to do with the yard but her little house backed onto my stables and although she didn't complain I was well aware she could hear it and a few comments of being in bed and wondering if everything was ok (in the nicest way) made me stop!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Nope
My YO shuffles off about 5pm and the DIYs are the last ones on the yard. The full liveries are tucked up at 4.30ish.

When I had them at home I'd often nip out before heading to bed.

Unless any issues I detect, then I shuffle off about 5.30 to 6pm, back on the yard by 6am work days and 7 on non work days.
If I want another 30 mins in bed, then I leave them out but still at yard by 7.30am.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
All yards I've been on including my current one it's usually just the last person on the yard having a quick scan over doors & that it's all locked up. Currently it's usually around 6 or 7pm depending on whose working late etc. Mine lives out so I usually have a scout about with my head torch - they're all used to it so don't bat an eyelid.

oldie48

Visit site
I've just got in from giving Fatty his soaked haynet and checking on Rose but I am luck and they are in stables just across a courtyard. TBH in this vile weather I'd give fatty his haynet earlier but he'd have eaten it by now so I try to spin the time out a bit for him. I have to admit I do count droppings and skip out as well.

atropa

Visit site
I don't, mine are brought in around 6-7ish of an evening and I'm usually last one off yard by 7.30, back up again between 5.30-8am depending on day. If I had mine at home I'd do late nights.

Goldenstar

Visit site
All yards I've been on including my current one it's usually just the last person on the yard having a quick scan over doors & that it's all locked up. Currently it's usually around 6 or 7pm depending on whose working late etc. Mine lives out so I usually have a scout about with my head torch - they're all used to it so don't bat an eyelid.

I don’t want mine desensitised to people in the field at night I want it to be a stranger danger type situation

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Mine are at home so they always get checked (and the dogs let out) just before I go to bed - that could be any time from 11 pm onwards as I tend to be a bit of a night owl. I try not to have a set routine with them, and they then get checked quickly in the morning while my kettle boils for my first cup of tea of the day, so are never left longer than 8 hours. Late night checks are one of the best things about having the horses at home - I love the quietness and peace of them just chomping away on their haylage, and I usually get a cuddle or two. :) x

Last edited:

Carrottom

Visit site
Agree with others, if out after dark, leave them, if in, late night check between 10 and 11. Hay water and skip out. Pointers in training might have a small feed.

Wheels

Visit site
Agree with others, if out after dark, leave them, if in, late night check between 10 and 11. Hay water and skip out. Pointers in training might have a small feed.

If you work a 9-5 its impossible to only check them during daylight hours in the winter. I wouldn't necessarily go out to do a late night check but I dont get home from work until 7pm most days so dont really have a choice but to check them in the dark, they're usually at the gate waiting for scratches. If I went out at 2am they would be on high alert!

Carrottom

Visit site
If you work a 9-5 its impossible to only check them during daylight hours in the winter. I wouldn't necessarily go out to do a late night check but I dont get home from work until 7pm most days so dont really have a choice but to check them in the dark, they're usually at the gate waiting for scratches. If I went out at 2am they would be on high alert!
We can only do the best in our circumstances, I have to bring mine in when it's dark in the mornings and they are used to us turning up with head torches. I do like to see them at least once a day in daylight as in the past things have been missed , fortunately nothing serious.

TwyfordM

Visit site
I wish, horses aren't checked after feeding usually around 5pm.. Obviously liveries and some staff still around after that but unless a horse was kicking up a fuss wouldn't be noticed. If I had them at home I'd be doing late night checks and hay but just not doable when they're on livery.
In the field there's people in and out all times of the day so problems picked up quicker bizarrely, but I think that's mainly as it's a trek from the yard so you tend to give whole herd check over or at bare minimum head count.
Yard I was on when she got colic had staff on site luckily so she was checked through the night for a while after and late night nets... Which I was very grateful for but doesn't seem to be the norm unfortunately 😔

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site

tda

Visit site
I usually go outside and check they are all still standing between 9 & 10pm. Alice being a fatty is in overnight so she gets her haynet as late as possible

WelshD

Visit site
I will do sometimes but never religiously.

I’ve found that doing a skip out late in the evening dramatically decreases mucking out time the next day

And also find a third late night feed beneficial if I have one that needs more weight

But to check them I have to walk across a field so at this time of year when it’s soggy and muddy I find the urge strikes much less lol

Jellymoon

Visit site
I used to go out last thing but they would always be lying down snoozing and then they would get up when they saw me, so now I don’t disturb them. They are usually left at about 6/7ish.