Lateral bend - flwxion in the poll - CONFUSSLED!

Rainbowbright

Visit site
Evening all,

can someone please explain to me why correct lateral bend has to include flexion in the poll? I was told to use the corners of the arena but how do I accomplish this? I am a bit confused about it all tbh! :confused:

be positive

Visit site
Correct lateral bend has to include the poll as it is part of the spine, the horse should be bending slightly all the way through it's length if there is no flexion at the poll it is not bending throughout.
To use the corners you will require the horse to bend around your inside leg, start by gaining a correct bend on circles or at any point around the arena, counter flexions are useful to check he really is working through his length, once you can do this it should be easier to ride him straight then ask for more bend around your leg at the corners, keep them fairly shallow to start with until he is more balanced and can step under from behind, remain in balance, stay between your inside leg and outside hand while still able to bend to the inside.
It can be confusing if you do not break down into stages what you are trying to achieve don't try to do it all at once otherwise he will get confused and lose balance then become more tense which will mean you probably struggle to get lateral bend.