Latest statement from BHS

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Seems like a bit of a copout, pushing it back to yard managers

https://www.bhs.org.uk/advice-and-information/coronavirus-covid-19

We fully appreciate – and understand – the current challenges faced by all our members, to include Approved Centres (ACs) and Accredited Professional Coaches (APCs,) as a result of the unprecedented COVID-19 public health crisis. The Government’s directive as of 20:30 on Monday, 23rd March is for everyone to stay at home unless travel is absolutely necessary.

Horse welfare is critical and grooms or the sole carer for a horse should travel to provide care for horses. Where horses are kept in livery the BHS advises that horse owners respect the protocol put in place by the yard owner or manager and work as a team to agree a care plan for your horse(s).

We are getting a lot of questions in relation to riding your horse, for which there are no specific government guidelines at present. We advise that it is not appropriate to put unnecessary pressure on the emergency services and everyone should make their own individual decision as to whether riding is necessary at this time.

Reactions: DD

be positive

Visit site
Every yard is different so there can be no definitive answer, it is clear that welfare needs to be considered but also the need to try and stop the spread of the virus so leaving it to YO or YM makes sense as long as their plans are practical, there will be a few special needs equines that require the owner to be more involved but the majority really will be fine with less complicated management.
Turning out 24/7 before the grass really gets going should suit them far better than doing it next month once it has grown well and they are all at risk of colic or laminitis, mine are getting a top up of hay, the grass will grow at a slower pace than if they were not on it which is ideal.

skint1

Visit site
To be fair, there's not been a lot of time for them to issue detailed guidance and agree on best practice for yard owners of all the various types of yards there are, maybe they will revise as the day goes on

SamBean

Visit site
I cycle to work, and am counting riding as different to our exercise as it is looking after animals which I am seeing as different to a run/cycle/walk. I ride on my own or with a neighbour and same cycling, on my own or with my husband.

it is APC's I feel sorry for as it really is sitting on the fence for them. I'm going to contact mine and see how she feels as I have a lesson booked next weekend and see if she wants to put it back.

honetpot

Visit site
Seen as most of training proffesionals, ACP's have to be members of the BHS for their insurance and to keep their qualifcation valid, I would be pretty unimpressed.

Chippers1

Visit site
We currently have a rota system in place - first of all to collect tack and then we will be on a rota for field visits and riding straight from the field. Gloves are compulsory plus antibac. After today (and only being allowed to collect our things) we are not allowed on the yard at all - the fields are a couple of minutes walk away.
I am planning on quiet hacks, I will avoid the areas I was moaning about being busy the other day! if we have to stop riding I will, my exercise will then be a walk to the field to check he's ok and back again. It's not particularly clear but when the exercise provisions were put in place (walk, run or cycle) I doubt horses got any thought at all!

honetpot

Visit site
To be fair, there's not been a lot of time for them to issue detailed guidance and agree on best practice for yard owners of all the various types of yards there are, maybe they will revise as the day goes on

This has been coming for at least a couple of weeks, they have infection control guidance for horse disease, they have a huge education department, and horse welfare is supposed to be there main aim, so someone should have been going through worst case actions.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I don't know how the BHS are expected to provide bespoke guidance - seems clear enough to me.

If you are the sole carer of a horse (as I am) you travel to look after it. If your horse is on full livery, then perhaps you could stay at home more, without compromising its welfare (although if the grooms get sick, be prepared to step up).

If you must ride (and I suggest it is better not to) - try to minimise risk of accident to avoid placing the NHS under additional strain.

We all have to do our best - and when I did my horses this morning, I did meet a few fellow liveries but we were all immensely careful to maintain our distance (a lot further than 2 metres) and avoid touching items of each others'.

Stay safe, everyone. :)

whiteflower

Visit site
it is APC's I feel sorry for as it really is sitting on the fence for them. I'm going to contact mine and see how she feels as I have a lesson booked next weekend and see if she wants to put it back.

Did they not make it clear on their previous statement (the one prior to today's) that travelling to training and trainers travelling to you is not considered essential travel ?? Also to travel to you to teach you goes against the government's guidelines of key workers only to travel to work......

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Did they not make it clear on their previous statement (the one prior to today's) that travelling to training and trainers travelling to you is not considered essential travel ?? Also to travel to you to teach you goes against the government's guidelines of key workers only to travel to work......

I though the trainer thing was the BEF.

SamBean

Visit site
I thought it was OK 121 only but am going off what I heard and not looked properly so I could well be wrong.

be positive

Visit site
I thought it was OK 121 only but am going off what I heard and not looked properly so I could well be wrong.

It would be ok if no travel is involved, so trainer/ YO on site with the client as a livery coming in to do a DIY horse and having a lesson while already there should be fine, trainer traveling to your yard not essential so not allowed.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
Anyone who is considering riding during this time. Please consider this..

If you are injured and require emergency treatment..

Are you happy to be taken to a hospital where your chance of encountering COVID is higher than anywhere else?
Are you happy to sit in a waiting area where others may be attending for COVID symptoms, or may not know that they have it?
Are you happy to be treated by medical staff that are likely to have been in contact.
Are you happy to take COVID back to others in your household (or work)?
If your injury is serious enough to require a ventilator.. What happens then?

Horse riding is a risky sport, even the safest horses have their moments. Hospital staff have enough to do at the moment and it's going to get worse.

whiteflower

Visit site

Look at boris' statement from last night....there are only certain circumstances under which people can leave there home and travel, your instructor coming to you does not come under the permitted reason so may be an idea to contact them

Michen

Visit site
Well I am primary care giver for 2 as on DIY and one is in rehab so I certainly won't be stopping that. Re riding I'm still undecided as horse is a green youngster, my current thoughts are that I will continue long reining out hacking, as for riding in the school... not sure. Doubtful.

DD

Visit site
The message is stay at home, to everyone, except for essential stuff. Riding lessons are not essential, caring for a horse who has no other means of survival is, that's pretty much it for at least the next 3 weeks.
Well put. Riding isn't essential either unless the horse cannot be turned out, and then its only for the benefit of the horse not for the enjoyment of the rider.

honetpot

Visit site
CV is most infectious, you are shedding virus, in the first five days, when you may not know you have an infection.
The whole idea of this is to break the chain of infection, so if in the unlucky event that you or a member of your family has it, it does not go any further. So even if you do not have any of the symptoms, stay away from people, cut down contact as much as possible, so they do not get it, not realise in those first five days and take it home to their family. How important really is what you are doing?
The more people ignore this, because...... , the longer it will go on.

I have been seriously ill so I have needed a lot of paid help for the last nine months, I have been planning for at least three weeks for this, I have ponies and cattle. Everything is out, as much as possible, they will not die, they have had their feet trimmed, they have been wormed, and we are now starting working alternate days, doing essential jobs, so we are not together.

maya2008

Visit site
My choice is ride daily to keep them sane and safe, or rough them off and risk laminitis. If I leave riding for 2/3 weeks I will have to leave them until this is all over. In work, safe as houses. Out of work, very much not so...

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
I think the YM have to given the option to manage appropriately. We have quite limited turn out and not many liveries. We will all take care to avoid each other but still need to exercise the horses or we will end up in more danger of injury. We can't suddenly get more turnout so it has to be managed as safely as possible to keep everyone as safe as possible considering our particular situation. It's extremely scary and needs to be taken seriously but with the whole situation considered by each yard. I will do as my YM asks, as should anyone.

SEL

Visit site
I was due to get back on mine tomorrow - but have decided 3 more weeks of in-hand rehab work won't do either of us any harm. She's usually really good after a break, but there's no urgency and I'd rather see how things pan out.

I do wish the guidance had been a bit clearer for YOs, otherwise there is always that one livery who thinks their way is the right way......