latest sweet itch lotions and potions

amysmum

New User
Visit site
Ive just taken on a pony for my daughter to learn to ride on. He ticks every box except he suffers with sweet itch. at present hes been living a boet rug apr to oct. Its been 20 years since ive had a horse who suffers with this. Whats on the market thats worth using??????????? whats best to avoid? My lil girl is the happiest girl in the world today!

B_2_B

Visit site

stargirl88

Visit site
Its hard to say as different things work for different horses sadly! I use the nettex stuff, which is brilliant at soothing itchy areas!

nicolenlolly

Visit site
I haven't found anything that works 100% so just bear in mind it can take a while!! Sorry to be negative but I have tried so many things. The benzyl benzoate is the best so far with fly spray applied at least 2x per day. I have heard coopers spot on is good but it is for cows really?!

I have tried Avon skin so soft, neem oil, switch, deosect, d-itch, Deet, so many fly sprays, I'm on one in a black and yellow spray bottle at the mo which is the best so far but he is still biting himself til he bleeds!!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Mmmm there's a lot on here re. Sweet Itch. Its really a total management regime rather than just the ONE fix.

So start witih diet. Eliiminate all sugar/mollasses if possible (think "sweet" itch). Avoid garlic which stimulates the immune system (not what you want as SI is an immunosuppressant disorder).

I feed Brewers Yeast; plus Clivers is supposed to be good (sticky stuff in hedgerows when growing); plus Cider Vinegar and occasionally Seaweed, plus Linseed oil.

Then think topical applications - I use Killitch (benzyl benzoate). Expensive but good. Also Neem oil with a few drops of Neem oil. Midges don't like an oily coat, which is what the Pig Oil does, makes the coat inhospitable, plus they don't like Neem!

You might also need to stable so as to avoid dawn & dusk when the midges are particularly bad.

I use a ride-on rug. Horseware do a nice one; Premier Equine also do a lovely quarter sheet in very light material.

Have you tried the National Sweet Itch Centre website? Its very helpful.

Re. turn-out. Have not tried the Boett, but did try the Pagony rug which is supposed to be a cheaper copy of the Boett. Don't be tempted, they're a total waste of money (Pagony not Boett!!). Mine wears a Rambo sweet itch hoody which seem to do the trick, plus occasionally a fly mask as needed. Some fields are not helpful to SI's, namely low-lying fields near standing water or trees. Best place if you can is a field as high up as possible to catch the wind, away from ponds, trees, common land & standing water like ditches.