Laughtons Flight/Old Leighlin

Jemayni

Visit site
I know a fair few laughtons flight, in my experience they are quite famously difficult, everyone I have ridden has been far above my ability they are very sharp, tempermental horses; however they are generally extremely talented and if you find a good one, and your a good rider, the world is your oyster!

They always seem to be bay with stars aswell but maybe thats a coincedence

severnmiles

Visit site
I knew a couple of OL's in eventing, although supposedly 70% dam, both were quiet, good movers, good jumpers, not the most quality of animals ever to walk the planet but both were reall triers.

seabiscuit

Visit site
Yes I know of two OL ,one intermediate eventer that has had continuos problems and time off for reasons I dont know, and another is a novice eventer,they were not particularly good lookers nor did they have any 'wow' factor in them at all, but were good work horses, jumped everything, and were brave and genuine.

Loupride

s25.photobucket.com
I only have experience with one LF mare and she was quite difficult and very tempermental. She is an extremely talented little mare but very sharp, maybe she just wasn't cut out to be ridden
grin.gif

She is now living out her years happily as a broodmare
grin.gif

(Not saying all LFs are like this, this is only my experience)

Nickymac

Visit site
My hunter-turned-eventer (temporarily "stolen" from OH) is out of a Laughton's Flight mare. He's only five and has supposedly hunted two seasons in Ireland (!), but has taken to his new life incredibly well. I can see that he could have attitude but so far he is trying really hard to get his head around what I ask him to do. He's very laid back, and was mega-bold when I took him cross country schooling, with just a tad of "don't you tell me what to do" when I tried to organise him a bit, so maybe that could easily go the wrong way if unchecked. It'll be his first season eventing in 2007 so maybe ask me again then!
wink.gif

coedcae

Visit site
I recently went to the stud dispersal sale where Old Leighlin has stood most/all of his life. I liked him as a stallion, what I would term more of an "old fashioned" type but very nicely put together. He seemed to have a lovely temperament and was regularly hunting, a very brave jumper and well mannered.
His stock were not the best looking animals but well put together and moved well. I guess these would have been the type of animals we'd all be buying for eventing, hunting etc had there not been such an influx of european warmbloods into the UK.

mitchellk

Visit site
Reason I ask is because I have a seven year old with these bloodlines who funnily enough is bay with a star!
he has a hock problem so was 'acquired' am hoping to dressage him. He has a fab attitutude and when i have jumped him has a real 'take them on' way of thinking. He is quite sharp, but is very willing to learn, has quite a high set neck and is very light in the hand, good job too as he is 17.1hh and a proper middleweight! (would be quite over horsed otherwise)
His mum was a pointer and he was bred to event (hock prevented that) his full brother is incredibly sharp and difficult in and out of stable but is small 16.1hh and quite light weight.
Very interesting hear about his other relatives, think i might have quite a nice one!
thanks

Lucia

New User
Visit site
Hello!
Newbie here!
My mare is by Old Leighlin, she is very pretty bay with a star &16hh. She is a tad flighty and can have an opinion but will really work for you if she trusts you. She Novice evented and we only stopped because I just couldn't afford for her to continue.:eek:(

Rumpy Pumpy (Lucinda Fredericks ride - Blenheim in 2001 I think it was) is by OL and the Fredericks have several horses by OL.
I've been to see him and like has said been said he is of that old 'stamp' wouldn't stop traffic (but then I saw him in his winter woolies!)but nicely put together and very nice natured. Quite a few of his are doing well eventing - check out the BE website - do a search on Trefeinon - most of the horses there are by OL.
HTH's