Laws on qualifications to teach?

Littlelegs

Visit site
No, its perfectly legal to teach without formal qualifications. Exception would be if you led someone to believe you do. Eg if you have no quals but were employed by a riding school that claimed to have bhs qualified instructors. Ime they do make it easier to get hold of cheap insurance if you teach freelance, & appeal to people if you aren't particularly well known otherwise.

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
i might be wrong, but i think if your not qualified u can only teach people on their own horses, u cant provide them with a horse...something to do with insurance again - is this right??

It's more to separate instructor/trainer from a riding school. Basically, if you provide lessons and horses to teach the lesson on, you are operating a riding school and you need licensing, not necessarily qualifications, though, not sure on that one :)

Batgirl

Visit site
It's more to separate instructor/trainer from a riding school. Basically, if you provide lessons and horses to teach the lesson on, you are operating a riding school and you need licensing, not necessarily qualifications, though, not sure on that one :)

You are correct, it is nothing to do with qualifications but licensing. My instructor can only teach people on a horse that they bring with them and cannot provide a horse for them otherwise it would be a riding school. (we had to be very proper and correct when she was loaning me her horse!!)