Layering rugs...

CastleMouse

Visit site
Sorry if this is a really stupid question, but can you use a stable rug under a turnout rug? Like an under rug?
Thank you!
smile.gif

Blizzard

Visit site
Yes you can although i guess a duvet stlye might stop the turnouts wicking/sweat evaporation techniques working?
Not sure though , never done it myself.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Yes!

Mine has a snuggy hood, pyjamas (boett type rug), a fly rug with neck cover, a water proof neck cover and rain sheet on.

When it gets colder I will upgrade the top rug, as with 3 neck covers and 3 rugs it takes an age to undress & dress him!!!

Petrie

Visit site
I layer mine with turnout rugs as I don't bother with stable rugs these days as they keep their turnouts on in the stable! And if you use turnout rugs to layer, then if the one underneath slips out a bit, then it's still waterproof.

I put a medium weight turnout one with a lightweight over the top. If it's been raining, you can take the lightweight one off and dry it more quickly than the heavier one, but you could do it the other way around.

Last winter, when it was deathly cold, I had a heavy weight with neck cover under a medium weight wug on a fully clipped horse. Worked very well indeed.

Really, you could get away with one medium weight with neck cover/full neck and one lightweight all year round, just put them both on when it's very cold.

filly190

Visit site
I have never done this for turnout, but reading the posts, I feel more confident to try. My fear is that one could cause the other to slip.