Layering up with rugs..?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
a surcingle makes it MORE likely to slip? if that is the case why do surcingles exist at all?
Sorry, I didn't mean that the surcingles make it more likely to slip, just that a stable rug is more likely to slip as it isn't clipped to the turnout rug like a liner is, and the second set of surcingles add extra bulk and nuisance.

Maybe I am not comparing like with like. My Rhino stable rugs are very substantial things, and are much stiffer than my Horseware liners.

Regandal

Visit site
No need for profanity

Were you there when we tested rugs and lining ??

Did you see the results on the horses
do you know the rugs we tested out???

My guess is the answer is no

I have been around my horses long enough to know they are warmer with a stable/NZ with an underrug than wearing 3 stable rugs one on top of the other.

How do you know? Do you take their surface and core temperatures? I know you mean well, but that was not a scientific experiment. When it's cold, I expect my horses to feel cold to the touch, even if rugged. The blood is pulled away from the surface (including the ears).

Moya_999

Visit site
So you have no proof, then.

Sorry, but my horse will be just as warm whether or not I choose to put a liner, stable or wool rug under his turn out. I happen to use liners because they are more convenient for me and are more comfortable for him (a wool rug would rub and slip if left on out in the field and it's lighter than a stable rug 'cause it doesn't have surcingles and buckles). As the fabric on both sides of both my liners (Horsewear and weatherbeeta) are much the same as the outer fabric on my (one and only) stable rug, you have no argument AFAIC.
What part of my original post are you not reading???

I said I do not agree with wearing 3 stable rugs one on top of the other to keep a horse warm. It just puts weight on a poor horses back. Not once have I said not to put a stable rug under a turnout. Sheesh...................................

Last edited:

Moya_999

Visit site
How do you know? Do you take their surface and core temperatures? I know you mean well, but that was not a scientific experiment. When it's cold, I expect my horses to feel cold to the touch, even if rugged. The blood is pulled away from the surface (including the ears).

What I am trying to explain is some people (in real life) on this yard puts 4-5 thin/medium rugs on their horse for extra warmth. If you put your hand under the 4th rug between the fourth and the third rug there is no heat so all your adding is weight. Its far better to put an under rug on with a stable rug.

Kat

Visit site
A lot of people do not know this but you should only layer up when using UNDER RUGS or LINERS. These are designed to be breathable. If you use something else for example a lightweight stable rug under a heavyweight, the warmth does not flow through the lightweight and it is pointless. Actually its probably worse than using just the heavyweight. You can ask any rug company about this. I used to work in a big tack shop and had training from many company reps who explained this.

Its the same with turnouts. Only use rugs which are called under rugs or liners to put underneath them.

And that just shows how out of date equestrian clothing technology is. The latest thinking from mountaineering/hiking/running/cycling brands is overlayering and various layers that can be used together or separately depending upon requirements.

With rugs I wouldn't use a turn out as an under rug as they aren't normally very breathable so the horse could get damp and sweaty but no reason not to use stable rugs as under rugs.

Kat

Visit site
What part of my original post are you not reading???

I said I do not agree with wearing 3 stable rugs one on top of the other to keep a horse warm. It just puts weight on a poor horses back. Not once have I said not to put a stable rug under a turnout. Sheesh...................................

No if it is cool between rugs 3 and 4 it shows that rugs 1-3 are doing their job!

Take the temperature outside. Take the temperature inside. Then take the temperature between your windows and your curtains. You will notice a temperature increment. If you had the curtains open the room would be cooler.

If your rugs are working the temperature between each layer should cooler as you reach the outside. Try it yourself with jumpers.........

Moya_999

Visit site
No if it is cool between rugs 3 and 4 it shows that rugs 1-3 are doing their job!

Take the temperature outside. Take the temperature inside. Then take the temperature between your windows and your curtains. You will notice a temperature increment. If you had the curtains open the room would be cooler.

If your rugs are working the temperature between each layer should cooler as you reach the outside. Try it yourself with jumpers.........

As I said I will not put more than 2 rugs on my horses as I wont weigh them down. One good quality rug is the way I go and have gone for many years. each to their own

Kadastorm

Visit site
Pony has a no fill/70/200/450g turnout and a no fill/100/200/350g stable rug. One rug is enough except I put the 100g stable under my 200g turnout instead of jumping straight to a 450g. I wouldn't use more than 2 rugs as it's too heavy and not good for the horses backs.

Palindrome

Visit site
Moya, I can see your point if some of these rugs have no fill or less fill than the liners. For example, horse will probably be warmer with a 100 gram liner under a no fill, rather than with 3 or 4 no fill turnouts piled on top of each other.

maccachic

Visit site
Anyone got an research that points to ideal temps for horses too many people want their horses toasty warm which to me would mean my horse was over heated but not a lot of literature around that would suggest optimal temp under a rug or some equally scientific.

Kat

Visit site
As I said I will not put more than 2 rugs on my horses as I wont weigh them down. One good quality rug is the way I go and have gone for many years. each to their own

I was responding to your 08:57 post where you referred to putting your hand between rugs 3 and 4.

I only normally use one or two rugs at a time.

Nudibranch

Visit site
Ok, rugs/under rugs/layering aside, can I just point out that checking the horse itself is the most important thing? It should not feel hot or toasty to the touch behind the forelegs and at the ear base. It should feel just warm. Thats just warm, not nice and warm and toasty. Just not actually cold.
I know people will jump and say every horse is an individual, and yes it is but I still cannot help feel some people over rug. Or else there are an awful lot of incapacitated, sickly animals around. Even a clipped horse retains a layer of fuzz and this will affect the feel to the hand when checking.

Merrymoles

Visit site
Lordy! After reading all this I am glad I have a warm beastie who lived out happily all one wet and snowy winter wearing just a 350gm. I am a big believer in central heating coming from sufficient forage and ours have plenty of grass when out and ad lib forage when in or when the grass is poor or frozen.

I have never layered and own neither a stable rug nor a liner.

DD265

Visit site
I prefer to use one heavier rug rather than layers - I don't like to risk restricting my boy's movement (as all of his rugs fit him alone, and aren't necessarily perfect when layered) as he was diagnosed with wobblers a few years ago.

That said, if I think he needs a weight that I haven't got - for example between his MW and WH stable rugs, then I will layer. It's not too bad in the stable.