Laying over a horses mane

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Embrace the crazy mane!
98450433_10158912784834739_1602076879341223936_n.jpg

Equi

Visit site
If you can’t use a Lycra hood, plait it over and add a small fish weight to the end of the plait

Annagain

Visit site
Thanks for asking this question lannerch - I feel your pain! I bunched Charlie's at the weekend as I was too lazy to plait it and I hoped it might work. I made them quite loose as I didn't want the wispy strands to get caught up and pull as I know how uncomfortable that is for me. I arrived on Monday to find entire bunches of mane on the wrong side! Accompanied with the slightly... err.... abstract clip I gave him, he's not looking his best - thank the lord for Welsh lockdown, at least nobody's going to see him for at least a fortnight!

lannerch

Visit site
Thanks for asking this question lannerch - I feel your pain! I bunched Charlie's at the weekend as I was too lazy to plait it and I hoped it might work. I made them quite loose as I didn't want the wispy strands to get caught up and pull as I know how uncomfortable that is for me. I arrived on Monday to find entire bunches of mane on the wrong side! Accompanied with the slightly... err.... abstract clip I gave him, he's not looking his best - thank the lord for Welsh lockdown, at least nobody's going to see him for at least a fortnight!
lol sounds like you have worse problems than me

Visit site
Persistence. Daily I move the wild bits back on my mare’s mane, plenty of conditioning spray. I’ve spent 12 years trying to tame one of my tiny tot’s manes and most of now lays on one side with a few straggles at the withers.

I feel your pain OP, life is short but unruly manes do my head in! ?

Annagain

Visit site
lol sounds like you have worse problems than me
The clipping is entirely of my own making - I always paid to have Archie done (I know why now) and waited until he was in overnight but Charlie is much fluffier and sweated up so badly on Monday that I decided a little bib clip was in order and thought "how hard can it be". Well I know the answer to that now!

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
What my friend did with her was let it grow a little extra length then 'trellised' it over one side so it had the extra weight rather than just plaiting, once it had started behaving itself she pulled it to the right lengths then just plaiting the unruly bits as and when needed.

lannerch

Visit site
Any mane can be hogged, it is possible an suits many of them, not everyone's cup of tea I grant you and obviously not yours but the horse won't die.
She won’t die with an unruly mane either and look far better.
I do not dislike hogged manes I used to work with polo ponies but most horses and cons for that matter imo look better with manes .

SOS

Visit site
My current horse has a mane that would quite like the lie with the tips facing towards his head I.e straight up! As he needs plaiting a lot during the season the last few months I have been slowly training it by plaiting it tightly over after a bath the day before events or hunting.

Once it lies on one side when the plaits are out and doesn’t just spring over I pulled it to take a lot of the weight out. Since then I have only had to bunch it when wet the night before hunting. It’s worked and we have our first plaited meet soon and an even mane on one side, yay!

How it wants to lie:
28DE1B3A-B268-438C-8010-FD74F1B89379.jpegIn training:
38B10B58-023B-474D-95D5-CEF0A91C087A.jpegResult:
52962B5D-246D-43FC-9404-0905FF00CF22.jpeg

lannerch

Visit site
My current horse has a mane that would quite like the lie with the tips facing towards his head I.e straight up! As he needs plaiting a lot during the season the last few months I have been slowly training it by plaiting it tightly over after a bath the day before events or hunting.

Once it lies on one side when the plaits are out and doesn’t just spring over I pulled it to take a lot of the weight out. Since then I have only had to bunch it when wet the night before hunting. It’s worked and we have our first plaited meet soon and an even mane on one side, yay!

How it wants to lie:
View attachment 57534In training:
View attachment 57535Result:
View attachment 57536W
Wow result ❤️
I’m going to have to persevere great tips thanks everyone , think it’s going to take time and a lot of hard work ?
Just purchased a Lycra hood to help me on the way

Last edited:

Annagain

Visit site
You think your winning and then it pours with rain the wind blows and your back to square one ?

I caught Charlie last night and thought "oh that's good all his bunches are on the same side." A split second later I realised that was the left side. :rolleyes:. I took them out and decided to give up.

Auslander

Visit site
ALf has the mane from hell. It falls on both sides, with an occasional additional mane that falls forward up his crest. I used to be able to keep it vaguely under control by letting get a bit long, as per 1st photo - but I have since decided to embrace the hairy caterpillar!
21687066_10156220525160730_3877011684592799272_o (1).jpg
121374946_10160031810515730_4337155079962933292_n.jpg