Lazy horse help

Horse2018

Visit site
My horse has got very lazy over the last month. She won’t listen to my lag or my crop any suggestions.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Could be a number of reasons, it could be the heat most horses tend to get slower and more quiet in the summer, is the horse over weight? Could be a pain issue or a schooling issue?

Has the horses management changed or anything changed recently?

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
My old boy (cob) used to metamorphosise during the summer months into his "nice horse" phase where he was in dope-on-a-rope mode; then change back into normal quirky-as-a-box-of-frogs mode during the winter! I used to worry about it, till I realised it was just him.

The other thing, as others have said, could be the weather and or maybe she's carrying a bit of extra weight?

Arzada

Visit site
Did you move yards or are you still at the yard with little turnout and a YM feeding your horse against your wishes?

Horse2018

Visit site
Yes I have moved yard She is slightly overweight but has lost a lot of weight. I don’t think it pain related because she is completely sound. I think it just behavior.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I’d get out hacking more then. This should perk her up and give her a break from the monotony of school work. Find somewhere where you can get some good canters (and faster) in too.

SpringArising

Visit site
Most horses become a bit lethargic in hot weather just as we do. I know that mine is also looking/feeling a bit bloated from the grass too. I tend to knock schooling/jumping on the head for the most part in the hot weather and hack instead.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Yes I have moved yard She is slightly overweight but has lost a lot of weight. I don’t think it pain related because she is completely sound. I think it just behavior.

If she is bilaterally lame then it can be really hard to spot - low grade lami will often affect both or even all 4 hooves. If she is still overweight I really wouldn't rule it out and would get a vet or farrier to have a look.