Lazy horse+ sensitive skin

kirstyfk

Visit site
I think my horse (which I share with my dad) is the laziest horse in the world. My dad manages ok, but then he is a foot taller than me with much stronger legs! I have to wear spurs for everything, I can get away with not wearing them for hacking, but after yesterday I was thinking I might need to wear them for that as well. I have never been keen on wearing spurs every day but if I don't he doesn't move. The only problem is that, although you can't tell from looking at him, he is 3/4 TB and his hair gets rubbed away very easily. Last year when I competed in an unaff 3DE and with all the fitness work by the end of the competition the skin had almost opened.

It is very embarrassing as it looks like I am a bad rider and don't care about my horse. So I am asking if you lot have any ideas about preventing this happening again. My spurs are small, would it help if I got bigger spurs? Or should I be putting something on him to try and strengthen the skin? Or does anyone have any ideas about an energy supplement. During the summer he is normally fed competition mix with oil and sugar beet.

Jbrogan

Visit site
Can you not use a whip to reinforce your leg aids? What I did with my lazy horse was give a leg aid and if he ignored it he got a tap with the whip, it worked with getting him more forward.

kirstyfk

Visit site
I use a whip every time I ride as well. I feel that when I school him I am constantly tapping him as he doesn't listen to my legs.

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
A horse can feel a fly on his side, he can feel your normal leg aids but ignores them. do not keep using your legs and spurs you will desensitize him even more. get him to understand clear signals. Sit quietly ask him to move forward , if he doesn't respond close your leg again and back up with a stick, make sure you allow with your hands [VERY IMPORTANT}. Be clear and do not give more leg aid just sit still , if he stops repeat the leg , stick. If you use more and more leg he will just ignore it.

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
I have the same problem with Sarnita she is lazy an marks easily with spurs. A trick when schooling at home is put a towel underneath the saddle coming down under your leg, this stops the spur marking.

Rafferoo

Visit site
Mine is idle and a thin skinned chestnut (not a good combination!). I use impulse spurs at home which don't mark and save my metal spurs for competition. I have had to work V hard on not nagging with my leg as well though!