Lazy laid back horse - anemia blood test??

Baileysno1

Visit site
Hi I've posted before about my 5 year old warmblood Ryu, hes a beautiful horse but has some long term issues I'm not sure whether the root of them is physical or physcological.

Basically hes so lazy, its like he has no desire to do anything! I got him dec 2005 he was four just back into work after being turned away. He seemed like a typical youngster with a bit of attitude, and settled into his working routine as expected. He is not friendly with people, pulls faces, lunges etc (luckily no kicking or biting) And gets aggressive on the lunge.

Between getting him and now we've tried a bit of everything, showing dressage, riding camp, hunting, hacking the lot. However he doesn't show enthusiasm for anything, hes not naughty just flat.

We've tried various feeds and by trial and error have settled on: on 1 scoop hi fi, 1 scoop pasture mix, 1/4 oats, Top Spec feed balancer and carrots (split between 2 feeds) Plus ad lib hay and a large net of haylege each night, he looks really well, fab coat healthy feet etc.

His work regime at the moment is schooling 3 times a week(inc poles & jumping) hacking once or twice, lunging once, free jumping. He's turned out for 4-5 hours aday 4-5 times a week.

Anyway after my lesson on Friday I was chatting with my instructor she is also at a loss as to why hes so dead and suggested a blood test to see if he is deficient in something, or thinks he may have just had his brain fried at some stage, or another growing spurt.

Approximately how much is a blood test? Will they do a general screen or do they look for specific deficiencies / conditions.

Is this an age thing? Has anyone else experienced a flat youngster is there anything I can do to help - I'm particulary interested in dressage horses as this is what I'd hoped Ryu could do. Is it me?

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
not sure to be honest but it may be worth trying.

I know if mine had the routine yours does he would be grumpier than he is already! Whilst it is varied, it seems reasonable intense, maybe its worth just hacking for a few weeks, having a good bomb round here and there and less school work? Not knocking what you are doing, its fab routine but some horses just hate to think they have to learn!!

Mind you from what you say it doesnt sound like he would be enthused on a hack either? - does he hack any different with others or alone?

Maybe he is just solid laid back type? Would get bloods done tho, for full screening probs between £50-100...but could get cheaper if you have a friendly vet
smile.gif

spaniel

Visit site
Id get the bloods done too just for peace of mind (ask for liver function as well). It may be that you are just lucky and have a very quiet one!

Baileysno1

Visit site
Hi Marsden,

He seems to enjoy hacking, I have to take a schooling whip and give him a couple of flicks to get a canter (even if the horses we're with have set off!) He liked the hunting although it did take a toll on his condition, I hope to hire the local xc course which has a lovely hack and take him for a blast and hopefully get him down the beach in the spring. I work full time so hacking is a weekend thing although perhaps I could do some more fun stuff as an alternative to schooling.

He'll get a break when my other horse comes back at the end of the month and I'll have both to ride.

Will enquire about the bloods although I think our vets thinks I have a horsey for of Munchausen syndrome by proxy.

SusieJane

Visit site
I've got a TB x, and she's so flat too.
When I rode her before Xmas, she seemed sick to death of the school, so today I got on for the first time since before Xmas, and same old same old !

So decided to take her for quick go up the road thinking a change of scenery might be in order ~ but the same there. Only perked up when we turned for home, but then only for 1/4 mile, then back down a gear.

I'm going to phone the vets, and ask how much blood testing is. I'll let you know what my vet charges.

Suze x

Baileysno1

Visit site
Hi Suze,

So glad I'm not the only one, my other horse ocassionaly got bored of schooling but a hack or trip to the beach seemed to refresh him, Ryu finds it all a chore! At first I thought it might be the summer (he lived out) he regullary fell asleep in the line up at shows, but the winter seems to have made him grumpy and tired! I shouldn't moan I didn't want a hot fizzy horse but this is the extreme opposite and I worry he isn't happy! He is just so fantastic when hes in the right mood and I really want him to do well this year he just wants to sleep and eat!

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
Im another one with the same problem, i had blood tests and all was ok (mine was on 1000g of oats a day and STILL nothing)
Im just changing him onto blue chip pro and a new joint supp thats had great results, also getting his saddle (done today) back (wednesday) Teeth (thursday) all checked just incase. Vet is up tomorrow aswell to do an overall health screening and check his arthritis is not playing up with the weather.
Hopefully after all this i might have figured it out, if not, im putting it down to boring schooling and lousy weather!!

Baileysno1

Visit site
We could form a club!! Its frustrating because theres a zillion and one supplements for hot horses and all the magazines are full of advice for hot spooky horses never dull bored stuffy horses.

I'm sure hes not deficient he has a great diet and looks fab, fingers crossed its just a lazy phase!!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I'd be inclined to cut the schooling out - do some more hacking, and think about taking him hunting. Give him something a bit more exciting to think about basically.

I would also change the hifi for alpha, cut out the carrots and perhaps try him on something like Spillers Slow releast cubes, also adding oil. He doesn't sound as if he's getting that much grub tbh, although you don't say how big he is. Bloods wouldn't be a bad idea - but he just sounds to me as if he needs more energy going in.

catembi

Visit site
I had a Warmblood (x TB) & he was just a lazy person! Out hacking, sometimes I thought he was tying up cos we were making such little forward progress & got in a panic...but he was just idle. Same jumping. Same schooling - just didn't want to move. He was just one of life's watchers rather than one of life's do-ers...so in the end I sold him to someone who was quite happy to go at the same pace as him. He's happier too cos he gets to go on nice ploddy hacks with lots of breaks to chat to dog walkers which he prefers to being made to jump and run about! He was 4 when I got him & 7 or 8 when I sold him.

Scarlett1980

Visit site
I thinnk you should get the bloods done just to be on the safe side. There are a lot of virus's about at the moment.

You could also try giving him a month of WINERGY ventil-ate. It's a respiratory supplement but my vet recomended it when mine had a virus as it is really good at boosting their immune systems.

Also, maybe you should give him a couple of weeks off so he can re-charge his batteries. Warmbloods mature really slowly and he may just be going through a late growth spurt and be really knackered!

I'd try the ventil-ate though, it's about £30 for a tub that lasts a month. My vet said as I was using it to boost him up I should use half the dose so it only worked out at 50p per day. I thought that was pretty good. WINERGY's number is 01908 576 257 if you want to call them?

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
Hi there

Had a thought also.....have you tried feed by D & H, Museli Staypower, it's not good for hot heads, but my oldie (25 years) has it and it really gives him a lot of energy and stamina? Maybe for £7 its worth a go?

Also try some guiness, not too much but a can or two over the weekend in feeds may pep him up.

Maybe he is just Mr Chilled!! In which case I will swap you for our loony TB!!

Good luck!!

Baileysno1

Visit site
My instructor suggested guiness! Had a look at Equine America propell plus and found a months supply for £9.75 so might be worth a try.

Last night I did some fun ground work with a halter and line in the indoor school, no real pressure and only for half an hour, seemed to enjoy particulary the last bit when I let him off and he had a squealy canter around and actually jumped a few poles left out from someone free jumping (I nearly passed out with shock!) my horse willingly exerting energy no!

This morning it was back to normal and it took two of us to persuade him to the field, not naughty just literally stops, I honestly despair!!

TequilaMist

Visit site
My daughters last pony was like that, TB x arab x welsh!Nothing would get him going-he did what was asked but there wasn't any 'oomph' in it!We tried everything on market!Instant Response(not the slow release one) did help , he got quite a large amount before shows.Had had vet etc he just had a laid back attitude to everything.
My welsh cob was also a bit lazy.Found ?badmington cereal it looks like chopped up nuts,gave it for weight gain but side effect was energy, gave him a right bit of 'oomph'!!
Guiness would be good yrs ago we used to give sweetheart stout-think if I remember good source of iron as is marmite(sarnies)if I remember correctly.
Would get vet to check him over and bloods etc so at least you can rule out things and take it from there

Scarlett1980

Visit site
I'd still try the ventilate, Guiness and all that are a nice idea but at least the ventilate is scientifically proven. If your at all worried about him I wouldn't go changing his feed or adding in random things x

josephinebutter2

Visit site
Hi! Don't mean to sound pessimistic, but my horse was exactly the same. Turns out he had damaged his medial collateral ligaments in both front feet. He was not 'lame' as painful in both feet, just grumpy and reluctant to go forwards, or get excited about anything.

Everyone told me he was just an arrogent lazy horse, but I knew it was more than that. He was so honest and would still jump 3'9'' for me, but was obviously not enjoying it, and had trouble making longer strides. Trust your gut instict, you will know deep down if this is more than just lazyness.

Mine was always better when out, but that was probably just the adrenaline - best pain killer around!

Having problems with shoeing at the moment, but has had 4 months off and remeial farriery, and when the farrier got it right last time, it was like I had my horse back. He was so much more friendly and amenable, and I couldn't stop him when being ridden - even in the school!

I would get bloods done and have the vet give him a good check over - back, flexion tests, teeth etc.