Lazy mare

fannieannie09

New User
Visit site
Hi I have had my mare for about 2 months now shes only 4 ad been out of work since last summer. She has had loads of people on her back only bareback but when I try to slowly get on her she dances I've had her back checked by the vet and its fine. She is also a nightmare to lunge she is always coming in to me and the whip doesn't bother her much at all does anyone have any ideas she is so lazy!

be positive

Visit site
She sounds as if she needs starting properly, going back to basics with an experienced person, was she ever started correctly? it may be that all that has been done is some sitting on bareback and she has no idea what is required. You may be lucky that she is a bit lazy and not throwing herself around.

fannieannie09

New User
Visit site
She has been lunged and has had someone on her back numerous times I wonder if she is playing up and shes had her tack on shes fine with it and lazy is an understatement its a nightmare lunging her to get her moving properly it took 4 people the whip doesn't bother her at all and when she can't be bothered in the arena she itches her feet on the mounting block or incessantly follows me around I can't get rid of her to lunge her properly

be positive

Visit site
Just because she has been lunged and had numerous people on her does not mean she has been properly educated or knows what is required, she is still very young and needs to go back to basics ensuring she understands what is required at every stage, if lunging is not going well long reining may be better, getting her moving forward out of the arena and seeing more of the world.
A lot of young horses will refuse to move if they are confused, if 4 people have been involved she will have no idea who is in charge and may have just shut down, they need a one to one with clear guidelines and instructions that are easily understood, walking her in hand using your voice to stop and start her before progressing to moving her out onto a small circle further away, once she has done a couple of circles in walk finish and praise her, do a little more each day until she finds it easy then progress to trot but ideally get a professional involved to get you going.

webble

Visit site
Just because she has been lunged and had numerous people on her does not mean she has been properly educated or knows what is required, she is still very young and needs to go back to basics ensuring she understands what is required at every stage, if lunging is not going well long reining may be better, getting her moving forward out of the arena and seeing more of the world.
A lot of young horses will refuse to move if they are confused, if 4 people have been involved she will have no idea who is in charge and may have just shut down, they need a one to one with clear guidelines and instructions that are easily understood, walking her in hand using your voice to stop and start her before progressing to moving her out onto a small circle further away, once she has done a couple of circles in walk finish and praise her, do a little more each day until she finds it easy then progress to trot but ideally get a professional involved to get you going.

Agree with this dont just assume sh is being naughty. As a general rule horses want to please you and there is usually a human made reason why they aren't doing what we ask. It sounds like your mare doesnt understand and that she needs re education. I dont mean to be rude but it also sounds like you are a bit too iinexperienced for her

Daytona

Visit site
I don't think she is lazy I think she has no idea what's being asked if her. Sounds like she needs to be educated correctly. Personally if seek out a professional and get them to work with her a few months. These early days are important the basics need to be installed correctly.