Lazy pony

Noodles_3

Visit site
Has anyone else got a lazy pony? I've started riding someone's cob for them as she can't really ride much at the moment. Anyway he's such a sweet little thing and very much a confidence giver which is perfect for me as I lost my confidence quite badly. He's only young so I'm not expecting too much of him and it's not really up to me to start dictating what to do with him etc she just wants him exercising and keeping how she wants him but he is actually too lazy!!
I didn't think this would be possible for me to think this as being a nervous nelly sometimes, the slower the better for me. However after a very basic 30mins schooling session I came away absolutely drenched in sweat, I looked like id been swimming rather than horse riding ha ha! He is very much hard work to keep going forward and tries to nap to the gate if we are going around in trot.
I posted a thread not long ago and asked for schooling ideas, explained the situation and got some very good responses which I have tried with him but as someone said 'I think you might struggle to get anything much from this cob' I do believe you are right!
I'm no Mary King so I may as well just stick to hacking him out and plodding along enjoying myself. He's a lovely pony but never going to be a world beater and I think his owner is happy to just plod when she does ride so maybe I should forget the 'schooling'?
Another thing he plants his feet and refuses to go in his stable. Point blank refuses. Doesn't do anything nasty but will just stand and I can't shift him until he decides 'okay I'll go in'. I am so grateful for the opportunity but he tires me out big time lol. Does anyone else have a lazy ned like him? Any advice how to make him more enthusiastic about his work? One good thing is his owner is going to start having a lesson on him once / twice a week so I may see an improvement then. I appreciate I probably sound like a novice, I'm not but I have always just been someone who just enjoys pottering about more than anything else.
Sorry if this is garbled I'm typing on my phone!

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
With H I found lots of transition work got him thinking forward. I also find he's a lot more buzzy once I've done some canter work so I tend to warm him up then do a couple of laps of canter on each rein and then focus on whatever I want to work on that day. I also do a lot of my schooling on hacks as we both find too much school work bores us.

JFTDWS

Visit site
That would drive me nuts, to be honest! Fergs is very laid back by nature, but I demand that he responds when I ask him and I do NOT work harder than him. It's all about transitions and really meaning business - no nagging, no repeat requests - ask, and back it up if he doesn't comply. Resistance is futile.

Presuming of course, he is sound, fit enough, tack fits, not being blocked by you ;)

Laura2408

Visit site
He sounds very much like my pony!

I struggle to ride him without a whip or spurs as he knows if I haven't got either and won't move! This means he goes badly in the show ring as I have no backup :(

At home I found schooling and fast hacks wake him up a bit but nothing has made him 'forward going' which is a shame!

Noodles_3

Visit site
Oh it is annoying!! I thought the slower the better is what id like but actually I've missed a bit of enthusiasm!
Yes tack etc all fine his owner has had him since April and done a full mot lol :). He's a good boy just green and as mentioned, lazy!
Not sure if he's cantered in a school before to be fair so might be a bit unbalanced, I'll leave his owner to conquer that first ha ha!
I was doing lots of transitions, I just get the impression he finds it boring, which of course I don't blame him, I do too! But he's not getting away with it all the time.
I did use the crop occasionally to back my leg aids up when he really wasn't moving and he did perk up everytime and gave me a nice enthusiastic trot but as soon as we got to the gate he'd stop on his term as if to say 'enough now I say we finish'. Little ******. He's easy to get away from the gate again but then he will just nap back when he feels like it. I'm not unfit but my god I was shattered after riding him! He's so tiring to ride I wasn't really enjoying it to be honest. I only ride once/ twice a week and I know this week as much as hacking un nerves me I'm going to just do it anyway! Better than being a big puddle of sweat lol.

Noodles_3

Visit site
JFTD - how can I make sure I'm not nagging? There were times I did feel like I was but I think that was me getting frustrated with my lack of ability to make him do anything. I'm not the best rider I'll admit that but he made me feel like I was pants at riding because all my effort was focused on making him go forwards!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
He's probably never really learnt to go forward when asked. Take him back a stage and get him going on from the ground in long reins.

JFTDWS

Visit site
JFTD - how can I make sure I'm not nagging? There were times I did feel like I was but I think that was me getting frustrated with my lack of ability to make him do anything. I'm not the best rider I'll admit that but he made me feel like I was pants at riding because all my effort was focused on making him go forwards!

Just don't do it ;) Seriously - use your legs, if there's no response, there needs to be an escalation. I have been known to school with two schooling whips for this. Put him in the gait you want, then stop using your leg - the moment he slows, he gets a sharp reminder to go forwards and then leg off again (any forwards is fine, just forwards - make sure you don't catch his mouth). Repeat ad infintitum. It's hard work for a short period, but much easier when they get the hang of it!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
He's young and a cob - all things designed to make work in the school hard work, especially for him. I wonder if he's also rather unfit - which won't help.

You can do a lot of schooling out hacking.

How often is he ridden?

Last edited:

julie111

Visit site
I wouldn't bother with school work for now. Take him out for some nice hacks, far more interesting for a youngster with lots of walk and trot transitions. Can you hack out with another horse sometimes as this will help.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
my 4yr became so lazy that he realised he could stop and refuse to move and no matter what I did I couldn't get him moving! it started out hacking and moved into my lesson! my last lesson with my previous instructor I came out like you do and that was just trying to get him to walk on! im sure its because of different reasons to your mare but my instructor suggested bring spurs to my next lesson!

luckily for me, my instructor couldn't do a lesson the following week, so I tried a new instructor/equine behaviourist, twice as expensive but was so worth it! after 4 lessons with him, I have a horse that moves off the tinest squeeze of the leg or a small tap with the whip if hes being naughty! I honestly can't rate my instructor more! he worked my horse out in such a short period of time and has given me so much more confidence! I've not had 5 lessons with him and in 3 of those he's not reared up with me and he was doing that every lesson before, because he couldn't understand what I was asking!

Singing Dawg

Lang may yer lum reek
Visit site
Just don't do it ;) Seriously - use your legs, if there's no response, there needs to be an escalation. I have been known to school with two schooling whips for this. Put him in the gait you want, then stop using your leg - the moment he slows, he gets a sharp reminder to go forwards and then leg off again (any forwards is fine, just forwards - make sure you don't catch his mouth). Repeat ad infintitum. It's hard work for a short period, but much easier when they get the hang of it!

I agree with this, schooling whip in each hand and leave off the leg, he will sharpen up but might need a little reminder sometimes. As for not going into his box, his stomach will force his legs forward if he spots a dish with a carrot or two in it, no?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
if he is young he may just be very unfit and getting him enthusiastic out hacking would be my way of dealing with this...also if he is overweight he will also struggle so hacking will tone his muscles up and help with weight....can you hack out with company so he gets the idea of going forward willingly without you having to use a whip or overusing your legs..can you post a pic?

Noodles_3

Visit site
Really like and appreciate this forum to get the best advice. I don't know how to quote and reply so I'll try answer the main points! Yes I believe he is probably unfit, I didn't and won't ask too much of him due to this and his age. I only rode him for 30mins and very slowly had a couple of trots but didn't get too much from him but I don't want to push him.
He doesn't get ridden much at all really to be fair, I think this is why his owner has asked me to ride him for her as she can't ride too much due to a bad back (accident, non horse related). But she is hoping to have a lesson a week on him. Then due to me working mon - fri I only have chance to ride at the weekends unfortunately.
Kezzabell - I'm glad you've got sorted :). I think this little chappie probably doesn't know 100% what I'm asking yet either and I'm not expecting anything straight away too really. My problem is I'm a bit soft with him too I guess.
Yes I'm sure a carrot would get him in the stable, he loves his grub! I just didn't have anything to hand that day lol.
I will post a picture of him when I get home if that helps :).
One thing though, he has excellent brakes (hmm obviously with him being lazy!) but no in all honesty he has he responds to my seat or just a simple woa. Despite not trotting for long or energetically he does listen to trot on. He's great with voice commands. I think maybe with time, patience and when he's a little fitter he's going to make a cracking little pony.
I'm going to just enjoy him this weekend and no schooling, just a nice little hack and get to know him a bit better too.
Thank you once again guys.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Can I mention feed. Just to say cobs are often good doers and therefore are often fed really low energy foods or not fed at all. He could be lacking energy when you are asking him to work. I am not saying stuff him full of oats just make sure he is being fed for the work you are doing and want from him. I used to feed a little corn oil in my cobs food to give him a little boost.

Noodles_3

Visit site
Thank you sukistokes2 I will check with his owner. I'm only there to do the riding side of it really so don't know that info. I will ask out of interest to her but I don't want to come across as interfering! She's done a cracking job with him from how he was before condition wise :). However I know it can affect energy levels so something I will check upon. X

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
He's young and a cob - all things designed to make work in the school hard work, especially for him. I wonder if he's also rather unfit - which won't help.

You can do a lot of schooling out hacking.

How often is he ridden?

I think I wrote the quote you put in your OP but what I actually said was "you won't get much out of this cob in the school".
Take him out hacking and do your schooling where he can see the point of doing what you are asking and enjoy himself.

He needs to be fit to do 30 mins concentrated schooling, I doubt if he is fit enough yet, from what you describe. Get him fit by hacking up and down hills.

Of course the old-fashioned types amongst us will tell you that when you first start schooling, the rider will sweat more than the horse and as the work progresses, the balance will change.

If you want to back up your leg aids, use a schooling whip, rather than a short crop. It is very easy to give an unintended rein aid, asking for a half-halt, when using a crop.

Last edited:

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Oh boy he is gorgeous!!!!! Right up my alley!!!! That is not a lazy pony, look at that bright intelligent, interested eye. Once he figures it out, he may be a slow deep thinker, like my Ffin, there will be no stopping him. Just keep at it and he will be a star....I think I am in love............

Noodles_3

Visit site
Awww!! That has pleased me that you have said that. He is a very lovely boy. I think he looks like he has got a bit of dales in him possibly.
His owner adores him and feels lucky to own him - I feel lucky she's letting me share part of that too :).

pennyturner

Visit site
My quietest, most easily backed youngsters have often started very slow, if not to say sluggish. My current ride, backed at 3, spent a year quite happily trotting slowly to catch up with a ride which had cantered off into the distance. It wasn't laziness, as such. He wasn't at all frightened, and hadn't developed the strength or stamina, so he did what felt comfortable, and I let him. He was going forward on the button, which was good enough for me at that stage.

As he developed, and with lot of interesting hacking (not nasty, boring schooling), he started to enjoy faster work, and now happily races across the stubble, putting everything into it. Best of all, that inherent sense and steadiness is still there, so we can pull up mid-gallop, and I can hop off, slip his rein around his stirrup and deal with a fallen child / lost stirrup / whatever, whilst he stands there like a rocking horse.

I guess what I'm saying is ... give him time to mature, hack him out lots, and you've most likely got a good one there.

3OldPonies

Visit site
as soon as we got to the gate he'd stop on his term as if to say 'enough now I say we finish'. Little ******. He's easy to get away from the gate again but then he will just nap back when he feels like it.

Sounds to me like his owner always stops at the gate to get off, so he thinks if he stops there then you'll get off and it will be work over for the day.

You just need to work through it, and when you are finished, don't go to the gate and dismount, make him stand quietly in a different place each time so he never knows it's coming and can't anticipate. Do lots of halts in various places while you are schooling as well, so that he has to listen to you and really won't know if you have finished or not!

As to not nagging, learn to feel when he is slowing and give your aids to carry on before he slows properly or stops. Ask once and then tell him what you want with a reminder from your stick. Get as long a schooling whip as you can cope with and use it straight away behind your leg. The huge cob I ride has a habit of slowing when he fancies a plod, this trick worked for me and I don't need the whip anymore he knows when I mean business now!!!!

Sorry if anyone else has posted similar - I haven't read all the posts.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
thanks for the pic, his weight looks good and not overweight in yard pic...a good looking boy, have fun with him and don't worry too much about schooling, just get him going forward happily on hacks...

applecart14

Visit site
Get the pony to lose weight if its overweight. This will have a huge impact on its energy levels. If its not energetic it won't be able to do the work expected of it. If it looses weight it will have more energy and be more forward going as a result.

Also get the vet to have a quick look over it to check its not uncomfortable anywhere.

OWLIE185

Visit site
Don't school him in the arena. Take him out for nice hacks which he will enjoy. You can always gently school while you are hacking. A far better approach!

fatpiggy

Visit site
Don't school him in the arena. Take him out for nice hacks which he will enjoy. You can always gently school while you are hacking. A far better approach!

Totally agree. I'm one of those strange people who really enjoys going to the gym, but most people absolutely do not and prefer to go out walking, or running for their exercise. My own horse was very forward going but she would soon get bored of arena work (even though I kept it really varied) and given a long rein to relax on between exercises, she would take herself off to the gate and sigh deeply when I turned her away from it again. Why should a horse feel any different about doing work than we would?

JFTDWS

Visit site
I'm the opposite - I think schooling should be fun - way more fun than hacking (which is boring as sin for me, and my horses, as we aren't blessed with brilliant hacking). Mine always love going in the arena because they are never drilled. In there they get to jump, do pole work, lateral work, fast work, and get fun thinking exercises to work through...