Lazy to lunge

Dumbo

Visit site
Any tips for getting a horse to move forwards on the lunge?
I have to lunge a few at work and I finish having had more of a work out than them! No amount of shouting/whip cracking/chasing seem to be working!

LaMooch

Visit site
Any tips for getting a horse to move forwards on the lunge?
I have to lunge a few at work and I finish having had more of a work out than them! No amount of shouting/whip cracking/chasing seem to be working!

they maybe finding it boring themselves. Could you not add poles, lots of transitions, generally make it more fun for them too

RockinRudolph

Visit site
Check your position - the ideal is obviously you being the top point of a triangle, with the horses head and back end the other points. If you are further towards the head end then you may be 'blocking' the horse's forward movement so take a sidestep or two back towards the middle, or even more towards the back end to help drive them forward.

That's a really rubbish explanation but look at this link as it has a diagram and explains it far better...!

http://www.classicaldressage.co.uk/html/lungeing.html

LaMooch

Visit site
Check your position - the ideal is obviously you being the top point of a triangle, with the horses head and back end the other points. If you are further towards the head end then you may be 'blocking' the horse's forward movement so take a sidestep or two back towards the middle, or even more towards the back end to help drive them forward.

Agree with this too. I Use my body position to help lunge horses. Slightly behind the horse to encourage it to go forward and slightly in front to slow down

Dumbo

Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

That's a really rubbish explanation but look at this link as it has a diagram and explains it far better...!

http://www.classicaldressage.co.uk/html/lungeing.html

Yes I try to stand almost behind them on the triangle so to drive them forwards but not working!