LC's first party- An over-detailed, gushy, long-winded non-comp comp report

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Little Cigar is growing up!! My little boy did his first jump this week under saddle. And this is it.

382166_10151370463371798_1233372911_n.jpg

Please contain your excitement!! ;)
Anyhoo, I heard there was a show at my old yard (where LC was born and lived until he was 2. He had his goolies removed there as well!- got photos of that... but I digress) So I thought I'd take him out for a jaunt. Had obviously NO intention of competing, but thought we might be able to pop the odd fence when the competition was done.
So, I ordered a Man With A Trailer and he duly turned up On Time. This is capitalized because it is remarkable in itself as Argies are not known for their time keeping. <<This is also a colossal understatement. COLOSSAL.

LC has been in a trailer about 3 times. After a few minutes of resolutely refusing to advance more than one step towards the Horse-Eating-Cave, he changed his mind when I offered him some oats. Having a food-orientated horse (for a change) is brilliant!!
He travelled fine, unloaded fine.
This is his angelic little face. It is a LIE,I tell you, a LIE!!!!

314683_10151375825661798_1315475047_n.jpg

because first of all we had a LOT of yelling along the lines of "YO! Dudes!! Howyadoing??!! I'm HERE!! Long time no see! Come and say hello!!" I'm not even paraphrasing!!

602740_10151375825986798_1301746968_n.jpg

He promptly started practising his break-dancing moves.
LC isn't really 'scared' of anything but he finds everything new incredibly exciting and interesting. It was like holding a minnow on the end of a string! SO, I thought it prudent to put him on the end of a lunge line. Normally I lunge off the bridle, but believe me when I say that there was about 0.05% of a chance of getting a bridle on THIS;

163321_10151375827186798_1867580437_n.jpg

So I put on my gloves and stoically hung on. Praying I wouldn't lose him and that somehow he'd find himself in the arena causing mayhem amongst the very young and vulnerable children jumping the 50cm class (I do believe in positive thinking ;) )
The little **** managed to catch me with one of his hooves. With the EDGE! it didn't hurt at the time, but later I put my hand on my thigh to find a HUGE lump. Stupidly I thought I'd give it a rub. OUCH. OUCHSWEARINGOUCH!!!
THEN just so that I would be VERY glad that I was wearing navy blue breeches and ALSO to prove that there is NO such thing as dignity when it comes to horses he very publicly kicked me on the bum. His aim and timing were flawless. I was torn between embarrassment and admiration... I don't have a photo of the hoofprint on my bottom. No I don't.
I showed him around, he was VERY 'twirly', but I remember PF was exactly the same at her first show and at her second acted like an old pro. Fingers are firmly crossed!
As it was my intention to ride, and possibly jump, I lunged him. There were LOTS of shapes, but eventually he settled and we got this;

312560_10151375827571798_2129991833_n.jpg

And this
314636_10151375828816798_1431110083_n.jpg

which is good enough for me...

The place was PACKED... not...
262722_10151375827811798_1114909716_n.jpg

but it was enough to give LC a taste of his future career.
When he was calm(ish) I attached him to a VERY sophisticated tethering device known as 'tree'. Trees at riding clubs all have rings attached to them with wires so you can tie your horse in such a way that he/she can't get tangled up.
563792_10151375827871798_1785215460_n.jpg

I have NO explanation or excuses for his mane. PF's mane is sleek and beautiful. I've tried and tried to calm it down and had very little success. And by 'very little' I mean 'none'.
Lots of people told me how handsome he is. They&#8217;ve known him since he was a baby and he&#8217;s always been popular because he&#8217;s so friendly. He&#8217;s not grown an awful lot since May (last time I measured him) but he&#8217;s really filled out. One of the pros said that he actually looks smaller from a distance because he&#8217;s so compact (and possibly because I&#8217;m tall), but he&#8217;s 1.55m now and I expect he&#8217;ll make 15.2hh (1.58cm) which is PF&#8217;s height.
Little power house :)
393088_10151375828456798_2007649856_n.jpg

And this is him a year ago
166973_10150532068231798_484902056_n.jpg

At this point I no longer have many photos. Went to lunch, just a TEENY tiny bit anxious about getting on the Karate Kid (pictured above). Spent rather a lot of time in the loo&#8230; I expect more than one person thought I was doing drugs. One of the pros very kindly agreed to put a few jumps up for me.
Eventually I brought LC in and tacked up. LC is a fidget. He has always been a fidget, and today was no exception but he wasn&#8217;t really any worse than usual. He wouldn&#8217;t go anywhere near the high, convenient mount block, but he stood just fine for me to get on. Immediately I felt his &#8216;poo in underpants&#8217; walk which is a sure sign of Tai Chi to follow, but after some snorting and head tossing he was fine and settled.
Went into the warm up school which has the benefit of being hard to see from the club house (=full of nosey Argies ;) ) Did lots and lots of transitions, to keep LC concentrating and he was very very good, aside from a few moments of loss of concentration and &#8216;drifting&#8217; which I can excuse because of his age and inexperience.
Pro came out and put up a little grid. COLOURED poles!! I was ready; had my hat, BP, vecro pants, parachute and Jesus Strap!! Explained to the pro that LC has never EVER been over a coloured pole with someone on his back. Pro waved a hand and said he&#8217;d be fine because he was &#8216;clever&#8217;&#8230; Hmmmmmm
Anyway, off he went, trotted over the placing pole, pinged over fence, went a bit wonky after the jump but next time was much better. Pro put a pole after the fence as well. LC pinged through, duly dropped his head to look at the pole and paid attention like the clever clogs he is. Fence went up to 70cm, LC pinged through and we left it at that. I was so happy and LC v pleased with himself.
Then I took him into the main arena which still had big fences up and exercised him a bit in there. Again, lots of transitions. LC has a VERY soft mouth. I can stop him with my voice and seat, but occasionally he will object to the bit and snatch. PF was like this when she was little. He&#8217;s in a NS starter bit, I think I need to try him in a nathe/happy mouth.
Old pictures of both schools/arenas from the club house
557210_10150771368126798_1748534750_n.jpg

522560_10150771367091798_918305857_n.jpg

Old picture of club house from warm up school
34830_10150100901721798_52801_n.jpg

155570_10150100902096798_1583685_n.jpg

After cooling down, untacking and giving LC a well deserved bath (it was SO hot yesterday!) I went back to the club house with that happy glow you get from your horse NOT embarrassing you (aside from the boot in the backside) ;) and not falling off, and one of the owners, a lovely man, came up to me to say that he thought I&#8217;d done a &#8216;beautiful&#8217; job backing/schooling LC. I thanked him profusely. My former RI/YO who is the MOST critical man on the planet commented on the &#8216;snatching&#8217; but agreed that I&#8217;m not cocking it up (this is the same as praise, coming from him)
Later LC walked jauntily onto the trailer and was VERY excited to get home. He cantered over to PF, gave her a big kiss and told her how happy he was to see her and what a lovely day he&#8217;d had. Wish I&#8217;d got a photo as they are just adorable together (especially considering she didn&#8217;t really like him very much when he was a weanling)
So that was my day :) I&#8217;m very pleased with my gorgeous little man and VERY much looking forward to Feb when I plan to take him to his first proper show :) :)

Gamebird

Visit site
Really? Too fat? I hadn't thought so, but you could be right. Mum commented that she thought he was getting a bit chubby.

You call it fat, I call it ballast ;).

Fabby report. Muy jealousioso of your sunshine (check me out with the lingo :p) and obvious heat. Oh and the lack of ad hoc swimming pools in areas previously known as 'fields'. Will be squashing Fugly into an economy class seat and coming over to play on the Argie circuit I think.

More reports please!!! :D

Nicnac

Visit site
Laughing out loud at that report - excellent one! He's lovely.

Next time, please colour in the sky a nasty grey and don't mention the 'hot' word.......

kerilli

Visit site
i can't believe the little git managed to kick you twice! great report, and well done for getting the first one under his belt. btw, i honestly didn't notice the mane, since sticky-up manes are de rigeur around here, but I think I would have to attack the bottom of his tail with a pair of scissors, just for form's sake... ;) ;)

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
You call it fat, I call it ballast ;).

Fabby report. Muy jealousioso of your sunshine (check me out with the lingo :p) and obvious heat. Oh and the lack of ad hoc swimming pools in areas previously known as 'fields'. Will be squashing Fugly into an economy class seat and coming over to play on the Argie circuit I think.

More reports please!!! :D

Thanks. Excellent Spanish there :) I think you'd find the heat quite tiring... We do!! Will do more reports once we start having proper lessons (and I can get someone to take photos!) Next show is in Feb :)

teapot

Visit site
I was going to say nice things then you mentioned the weather :p Love the LC and his antics :D

Hope the backside isn't too sore ;)

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Ditto this :D

No chance ;)

LC is all growed up, I bet you can't wait to get out there a start competing him :)

I'm VERY excited to start competing. I will have to do something about my nerves though! He's due to start what's called Series I (championship) for 4YOs next year, but it's quite demanding, so not sure I'll do it.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
i can't believe the little git managed to kick you twice! great report, and well done for getting the first one under his belt. btw, i honestly didn't notice the mane, since sticky-up manes are de rigeur around here, but I think I would have to attack the bottom of his tail with a pair of scissors, just for form's sake... ;) ;)

He's a quick little so and so. Someone laughed and said he was like an eel when I told them about his darting boxer's moves.
I might just have to let his mane grow a few inches to weigh it down. As for his tail... not touching it. It can drag along the ground for all I care ;) PF has a thin, wispy tail and I LOVE that LC's is that long.

Worried1

Visit site
PF I have followed your posts for a long time, always been intrigued about life in Argentina. Can't believe that ickle foal is all grown up!

Very funny, I chuckled out loud :)

leflynn

Visit site
I love LC even more the tinker :D What a great first time out bar the kung fu and what a credit to you :D

Red's mane is eaxctly the same, I have tried shorter, this means he looks like a punk, I have tried longer and it just goes every which way... I quit, he looks cute with his wild hair :D