Le Trec

flowerlady

Visit site
Forgot to say. You have to carry when you go to the competitions, emergency shoe for the horse, first aid kit for both of you I think thats why OH didn't look into it further as if he bought all the things and then didn't carry on it would have been quite expensive. Which is not like him if he wants to do something he buy's all the gear:eek::p But does normally have some idea:p

dawnpetenathshir

Visit site
Don't think either of us are up to Endurance :). I won't need spare shoe he doesn't wear them.:D I really like dressage but didn't do any at all last year so think I'll get back into it and maybe go to a couple of shows xx

Orangehorse

Visit site
Go to the BHS website and look under BHS Trec. Also go to http://trec-uk.com/ to chat
to current competitors. It is a shame that there aren't more competitions, but it isn't that easy to find suitable premises.

For a start, for the orienteering day, there has to be a good area for riding, with a decent bridleway network and co-operative local landowners and then the basis of a cross country course for the following day. Then you need quite a few willing helpers to sit around waiting for competitors to arrive past their checkpoint, and it isn't exciting like watching a cross country competition and there are a lot few competitors than in endurance. (I really felt for the two people on the last checkpoint who had to wait until impossibly late until I and my partner eventually reached them!).

I think there is a lot more scope for indoor trec, but again, unless the organisers get enough competitors they won't bother to put the competitions on. And some people just don't like travelling far to things in the middle of winter, so it is a bit of a catch 22
situation. It needs a few local enthusiasts to get together and start to organise training, local competitions, etc. Warwickshire BHS have been running training days and competitions for a couple of years and now have enough locals interested that a new Trec club has been formed.

I think the training necessary for Trec is wonderful, it really gives a purpose for schooling and instead of endless trotting round in circles for dressage it introduces new "challenges" and a test of how to train your horse when presented with something new they don't understand. It also helps generally with schooling. Were you impressed with the lady on the TV last night who CANTERED down the bending poles. Not easy, you need a very collected horse to do that.