Lead Rein Pony - HELP

Ponyio

New User
Visit site
Looking for some kind, constructive maybe similar stories? I've had horses for 10 years but this is my first experience with ponies for children. My daughter is nearly 4 and has been riding on the LR since she was 2, we had a whizzy shetland as a share. I decided to buy her a Sec A, we found a 6-year-old who had been a field ornament but had a lot of handling, was sweet-natured and at 11.1 HH would have some longevity with us.
We had her for a month just doing grooming, getting to know us etc then sent her away to be backed. She was backed (with children as riders) and then we picked her back up and the direction was to keep her busy and get out. So we did, i've been to shows, took her on a beach holiday, boxed her for hacks, hacked in traffic etc etc everything was going so well - maybe too well. All the way reminding my daughter she is a 'baby' and we need to be quiet and gentle, encouraging in all situations.
We went to a riding club rally and she was unlike our usual pony - neighing, spooky, tense - she spooked, frightened herself and went to bolt i managed to hold on through pure fear of my 3 year old child bolting into the distance and my daughter fell out of the side door (unharmed but shook up). The instructor tried to put a more experienced rider on her whilst i was comforting my daughter and they couldn't get near her, i called it a day and took her home with lots of reassurance. Got her home and just led her in hand around our school - was back to calm (no rider). Then a few days of groundwork, desensitiation etc - the backing place did such a good job she was really not bothered by my handy pony esq activities in hand and long reined calmly. So we put a more experienced lightweight teen on her, she walked for 5 steps and bolted had her off too.
The backing place have agreed to have her back and assess her as i'm stuck and don't want to make anything worse. Just wondering if people have had newly backed ponies have a first fall and react like this or other peoples experiences? We're super patient I'm just fretting a bit about what the future could be like when things have gone so south so quickly.
We haven't changed anything tack wise, routine wise, not giving her any feed so nothing to wind her up etc etc

Ponyio

New User
Visit site
I would guess the pony has been badly frightened by the rider falling off, nobody's fault I know but it's absolutely what you don't want to happen with a newly backed pony. Hopefully the breaking yard can restore her confidence and perhaps your daughter could have some lessons there.

Yes I don't think my heart could take my daughter on her without some confidence from the breaking yard and me seeing her being ok ridden etc she is such a sweet pony came running over to us tonight just for a fuss, which makes me feel like she hasn't totally lost faith in being part of our family!!

JumpTheMoon1

Visit site
Just because a pony is " backed " does not make them problem free when out and about at social events.
No doubt the riding club rally overwhelmed her and she took off.Shes not used to it all yet.
Once they start this they will try it again and your pony did just that with another rider and bolted.
So an " experienced " rider fell off after 5 steps and a bolt ? I dont call that experienced.
Just go slow with her - baby steps for a few months - slowly.

Patterdale

Visit site
Welshies are often funny beggars and especially the longer they’re left without work.

The rally would be unlike any situation she’d been in before, and that coupled with the fall and panic would be enough to cause this change IMO.

However. I taught pony club for many years and now have children of my own riding. So I’ve seen it from both sides. My advice would be:
With a 3 year old rider and a relatively inexperienced home, a 6 year old unbroken pony was never going to work.
Put the pony on sales livery and get rid. Then buy something proven and safe. If that means not having a pony in the meantime whilst you save for this, well it only means not riding for a bit and your child is still very young.
By getting the right pony, you will save yourself money, time and lots of heartache.
You might think that this sounds dramatic but I have seen too many children put off ponies and sour their relationship with their parents in these situations.

Your alternative is to keep throwing money and worry at this problem and hope it will be solved.

I probably shouldn’t say all this and I wouldn’t in real life because I couldn’t be arsed with the fallout, but honestly do yourselves a favour and get a safe pony.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Welshies are often funny beggars and especially the longer they’re left without work.

The rally would be unlike any situation she’d been in before, and that coupled with the fall and panic would be enough to cause this change IMO.

However. I taught pony club for many years and now have children of my own riding. So I’ve seen it from both sides. My advice would be:
With a 3 year old rider and a relatively inexperienced home, a 6 year old unbroken pony was never going to work.
Put the pony on sales livery and get rid. Then buy something proven and safe. If that means not having a pony in the meantime whilst you save for this, well it only means not riding for a bit and your child is still very young.
By getting the right pony, you will save yourself money, time and lots of heartache.
You might think that this sounds dramatic but I have seen too many children put off ponies and sour their relationship with their parents in these situations.

Your alternative is to keep throwing money and worry at this problem and hope it will be solved.

I probably shouldn’t say all this and I wouldn’t in real life because I couldn’t be arsed with the fallout, but honestly do yourselves a favour and get a safe pony.
Couldnt agree more … not worth the risk to your child . little children need old experienced ponies.

maya2008

Visit site
Saddle…

Our 5 year old Welsh A gelding was backed a couple of months ago. Got him going in a Thorn pad, then had a saddle fitted. It lasted precisely 3 and a half weeks before getting tight at the front and pony being unhappy. They change so much in the first year, as they muscle up to do the work we are asking of them.

Getting used to busy environments…

You need to take your lead-rein pony out in-hand before you ask them to cope at a rally. Go to arena hire first, then some shows or rallies just to soak up the atmosphere. Then lead pony in a few, then with child on. Ours is a fab hacking pony already, but finds new arenas scary. We are getting him used to that, before meeting with friends at some, then small low-key SJ (poles and there are never many people), followed by a busier one. Only once he can cope with all that will we try PC.

Lois Lame

Visit site
Yes, I thought it sounded a bit rushed, too.

Saddle…

Our 5 year old Welsh A gelding was backed a couple of months ago. Got him going in a Thorn pad, then had a saddle fitted. It lasted precisely 3 and a half weeks before getting tight at the front and pony being unhappy. They change so much in the first year, as they muscle up to do the work we are asking of them.

Getting used to busy environments…

You need to take your lead-rein pony out in-hand before you ask them to cope at a rally. Go to arena hire first, then some shows or rallies just to soak up the atmosphere. Then lead pony in a few, then with child on. Ours is a fab hacking pony already, but finds new arenas scary. We are getting him used to that, before meeting with friends at some, then small low-key SJ (poles and there are never many people), followed by a busier one. Only once he can cope with all that will we try PC.

Chiffy

Visit site
Sorry you have had such a bad experience and sharp learning curve but a child of three needs an old, steady pony. She won’t be capable of much except bobbling about on top until she is five coming six.
My granddaughters had a pony of 17 and she was a wonderful Section A, seen the world, phased by nothing. They are not hard to find, it’s the first riddens that are safe off the lead rein that are like gold dust. My girls are now confident, competent riders age 9 and 11 due to a good introduction. Confidence can be fragile when things go wrong.
Our dear Pixie has just died aged 29 having helped numerous more little ones.
Good luck, move this pony on and try again.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would agree that a newly backed sharp pony is not going to be a good lead rein pony for such a small child, sell on as a second pony to a bigger child that can ride off lead rein and buy an older steady pony your daughter can feel safe on.

Welsh ponies are lovely but some are not the easiest I've ridden loads over the years, mainly ones that were bought for the riding school for kids but we soon realised they were just too forward and sharp, so being a small light adult I often used them to take hacks out on them and school them in preparation for kids to ride later on.

Some took several years of this set up to become good enough to put kids on but it involves alot of knowing what to do with them to achieve this.

Abacus

Visit site
I would agree that this isn't the right pony for you at this stage. Little ponies seem to live a long time (generalisation) so there's nothing wrong with one aged up to 20, especially as you won't be asking a great deal of it physically for the next couple of years.

Leandy

Visit site
Just wondering if people have had newly backed ponies have a first fall and react like this or other peoples experiences?

I'm sorry but I think you have been very naive in thinking that a newly backed pony is suitable for a 3 yo child to take to its first rally! The reaction you describe is very typical of green newly backed horses. Something goes wrong and a rider gets unbalanced and/or falls and it panics them. Then they get anxious about the possibility of it happening again, as does the novice rider. Recipe for disaster. This is why green animals are unsuitable for novice riders! This isn't the right pony for your child at this point. Either sell and replace with a golden oldie, solid, bombproof, been there done that type or acquire one and get your pony brought on for a year or two to get beyond all the "firsts" to being a much more established pony. I'm afraid I think this should have been entirely predicable.

Umbongo

Visit site
Honestly I would agree with the other posters saying to sell the pony to a more suitable home. Your daughter is too young for a green newly backed pony, ideally you need a "been there done that" pony who is probably in their late teens/twenties. I would ask around your yard or local pony club for a golden oldie to buy or loan.

maya2008

Visit site
Just a thought, but you may be able to find an older pony on loan. We sent out our much loved lead-rein pony on loan to a family with tiny tots last year. Unfortunately, their grazing and even hay were too rich for her and she went down with laminitis (nearly fully recovered now thank goodness!). I would be extremely cautious before loaning her out again, but she’s without a job here. If you can prove you can look after someone’s adored older pony well, you won’t necessarily have to buy one.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Friend bought unbacked pony last year for her 6 yo. Had it broken in. Pony fine on lead rein. Went to first show, let pony off lead, pony properly bolted. Kid still on lead rein now, doesn't now like riding the pony, mum won't buy her one to have fun on?? I think all it will take is another fall and the kid won't ride again. As others have said best thing to do is get a been there done it pony . There are loads being adverts the moment.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Really, agree with everyone else. This pony may turn out to be very good, but at the moment she isn't a "been there done it" sort. She had been in a field, and then was broken in and then to your home, everything was familiar and given time to get used to it. Going to a rally with lots of strange animals and strange goings on was a bit of a step too far.

Look for an older pony for your daughter, for now so you are not both feeling nervous.

If you are fond of this pony don't give up on her (although I share reservations about Welsh ponies! Some are angels). Treat it as a work in progress.

Take this pony out and about to shows, as often as possible. Enter in-hand things, show classes or agilty classes, get her walking around all day and then if she feels calm, get an older rider to pop on and ride around. Repeat and repeat. Continue with the ground work and put "scarey things" out in the paddock - bollards, balls, poles, flags, anything flappy, or unusual, anything you can think of. Seeing them every day and as part of the field should make them more accepting of anything new or unusual in the world.

As above, breaking in and getting used to carrying a rider is only the first stage of education and in fact the next stage is the hardest. But the rewards can be great.

Two books I like are the ABC of Breaking and Schooling by Joesephine Knowles - just great, traditional, tried and tested - and the Linda Tellington-Jones Let's Ride which is maybe for an older child but introduces all sorts of games and things to can do to train the pony.

Good luck.

Bobthecob15

Visit site
I agree, you need an older more experienced pony for your children, I cannot understand the trend where people put their inexperienced kids on newly backed horses, I get its probably because they are cheap...but to me its utter madness. My old livery yard did this, they bough unbacked ponies, backed them stuck novice kids on them for riding lessons (unlicensed school I might add) and it was one disaster after another...ponies bolting, one jumped the arena fence, knocking kids confidence etc...its bonkers. Or they just sell them on as kids ponies....people pay for them so I guess why not?!

It sounds like you have been sensible about how you have gone about it but you really need to sell it and find something more suitable, its hard I know as I went through it last winter and saw and rode about 6 different ponies for our daughter but we did find one in the end!