Leaking roof on lorry

racebuddy

Visit site
i have a leyland daf lorry , and the roof is leaking ??? in living so now had to strip the living / also leaking in horse part above tack lockers has had new boards on seals everyhing and nothing working ?? help appreciated ???

humblepie

Visit site
Ours had some water coming in and it a join between the side panels around some rivets. A really small area and lorry is parked in a partially covered barn so was quite amazing it got wet and leaked as much as it did. Can't remember what OH fixed it with but I know it was quite odd as it wasn't where you would have expected the leak to be bearing in mind where the damp was. Will find out more later when he is home.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Totally no help to you op but reminded me of when my boxes roof used to leak, it was when my daughter was going through a bad competition run, a few eliminations in the showjumping, without fail it rained on the way home and the leak was over her head ?
She sulked pretty well about screwing up and the added water dripping down her grouchy face was comedy gold ?

scrat

Visit site
My DAF is leaking too so following with interest. I think this will be a job to tackle when the weather is dryer so a tarp will help in the meantime. On a positive note she did at least sale through her test last week despite being 20 odd years old and pretty much sitting around for a year with no shows to go too. There are a list of things I want to get done, just cosmetic really, but not until the leak is fixed.

Visit site
Do you know anyone who can fibreglass it? (I’m pretty sure they’re a fibreglass roof? Hubby always had spare fibreglass and resin whenever anything needed fixing (he got it to help a pal out who had a leaking fishpond - well, more like a flipping penguin enclosure he built in his back garden!). You do need it to then be dry to fix it unfortunately.

humblepie

Visit site
Have found out - We used flexible seam sealer - needs to be flexible as body flexes. Used on caravans etc. Hope that helps. No leaks since

racebuddy

Visit site
My DAF is leaking too so following with interest. I think this will be a job to tackle when the weather is dryer so a tarp will help in the meantime. On a positive note she did at least sale through her test last week despite being 20 odd years old and pretty much sitting around for a year with no shows to go too. There are a list of things I want to get done, just cosmetic really, but not until the leak is fixed.

racebuddy

Visit site
I absolutely adore my lorry , she is 30 years old but literally gone one from one end of the country to the other but just not the leaking roof ??

racebuddy

Visit site
Daphne ??

Attachments

• 53FD7D43-5C34-4EFF-9D4B-713E47BD2C3F.jpg
    53FD7D43-5C34-4EFF-9D4B-713E47BD2C3F.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 294B92D7-E076-43F1-995F-47C64DEFAF06.jpg
    294B92D7-E076-43F1-995F-47C64DEFAF06.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 10
  • AAED54B5-D7D0-49EB-BBCA-D7401FDBEB63.jpg
    AAED54B5-D7D0-49EB-BBCA-D7401FDBEB63.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 12
  • EE031950-17E2-4C80-9ED0-2E3BFF73535F.jpg
    EE031950-17E2-4C80-9ED0-2E3BFF73535F.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 10

Squeak

Visit site
I managed to fix my 3.5t leaking roof with this stuff last month:

https://www.diy.com/departments/uni...t-extreme-repair-sealant-300ml/1474140_BQ.prd

And I used this tool to help:

https://www.diy.com/not-available/d...Yxa38q5tf0gf4qAshEBoCrNcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I scrubbed the seal first with the scourer part of a washing up sponge and then dried it with a towel to make sure it was dry before applying the sealant. I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to do and delighted that I'd managed to fix it myself.

There's a group on FB called DIY Horsebox Renovators and there are a couple of posts on there about it including further advice if the sealant doesn't fix it.

whiteflower

Visit site
Anyone have water running down the walls and out of a window edge ?? It's a weird one, we have checked the roof, sealed the rivets and the window edge and still can't find where the blooming water is getting in ! It's a small trickle but amounts to a lot of water in heavy rain ! We have painted the whole roof in rubberised paint, flexisealed the edges. It's so difficult to find the source can only think it's under the aluminium outer wall and getting through somewhere. I feel your pain op , it's really frustrating but some good ideas on here

little_critter

Visit site
My lorry leaks badly. When my OH went up a ladder to look at why he groaned. Some muppet, when fitting the ceiling, had nailed the ceiling straight through the outer skin of the lorry.
Unfortunately the roof leaks but the floor is well sealed so I get puddles build up in the horse area.

Squeak

Visit site
Anyone have water running down the walls and out of a window edge ?? It's a weird one, we have checked the roof, sealed the rivets and the window edge and still can't find where the blooming water is getting in ! It's a small trickle but amounts to a lot of water in heavy rain ! We have painted the whole roof in rubberised paint, flexisealed the edges. It's so difficult to find the source can only think it's under the aluminium outer wall and getting through somewhere. I feel your pain op , it's really frustrating but some good ideas on here

I'm sure I saw something about this on the facebook group I mentioned above. I think it was something to do with the vents needing clearing out or something.

ETA: I've just double checked and there are a couple of posts on it on there. Unfortunately it's a private group so I can't share it but it's worth joining as there seems to be some knowledgeable people on there.

phizz4

Visit site
This method is a bit tedious but it can work. Get a variety of food dyes. Dissolve one in a container of water and pour it over the suspect roof area. Check colour of leak. Do that with different colours until you trace the leaking area. The other thing to remember, based on my leaking caravan experience, is that water can run a long way through the roof lining from where the initial leak is.