Leaky nose query, riders not horses.

sarahann1

Visit site
So, I'll start with saying, please excuse the vileness of the topic first thing in the morning...

How do you all deal with your leaky noses when you're riding??? I've gone and acquired myself a summer cold, and with that comes a nose that has decided a constant flow of, well, snot, is a perfect plan. When I ride the flow gets heavier, but I'm riding, I'm holding reins, hankies are somewhat difficult to use whilst cantering 20m circles.

I have a dressage competition tonight and I'd really rather not be riding sounding like a 5yr old child who refuses to use a hankie, or even worse looking like a toddler with that wee river that runs between nose and mouth 🤢.

Suggestions please!

Thanks!

fattylumpkin

www.thestoryofhorses.com
Oh you poor thing! :D When I worked at the care home we used to swear by good old Beecham's cold + flu, but you have to give it time to kick in - it leaves you feeling like a human being for a limited number of hours and when your nose starts running again, that's the signal that it might be time to take more. Nose sprays do work but then after they wear off my nose can be so itchy and even more runny. Good luck with your dressage test!

joosie

Visit site
A peg is the most obvious solution ;) Aside from that I have no idea. I'm a runny nose person at the best of times, and always ride with plenty of tissues in my pockets. I blow my nose at every opportunity! The rest of the time sniffing just has to do!

Merlod

Visit site
I stuff bits of tissue up there if i'm suffering and want a break from having my face in a tissue/hanky!

Nasicus

Visit site
I stuff bits of tissue up there if i'm suffering and want a break from having my face in a tissue/hanky!

I do this! It's get a good chuckle at work, but my nose gets sore very quickly if I'm wiping/blowing it every few seconds, even with good quality tissues.

Laika

Visit site
my nose loves going for a run, especially when I've got people watching me ride... THE JOYS. I know a lot of people just blow their noses onto the ground but I'm not quite at that stage yet.

Could you maybe rub some vics on your chest? Or alternatively you could have a very strong mint before riding? Fisherman's Friend anyone?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
oltravine or sudofed helps clear a blocked nose, I suffer the same in winter my nose just runs in the cold along with watery eyes when I ride, I remember having a lesson on a particular cold day and being very engrossed in whatever I was doing, so couldn't stop and had snot just pouring out of my nose and was just hoping my instructor couldn't see it hanging out of my nose embarrassing and disgusting I know.

sarahann1

Visit site
Thanks very much for the suggestions. I'll be digging out the drugs suggested!

What I'd actually like to do is sack off the dressage and go for a nap, but then I'd be wasting my entry fees, and I'm a tight fisted Fifer, which means I'll instead be sniffing my way through it feeling sorry for myself.

Annagain

Visit site
Is this not what sleeves are for? Or, if you have to have some propriety about it, one of those 1970s wrist sweatbands?

sarahann1

Visit site
Is this not what sleeves are for? Or, if you have to have some propriety about it, one of those 1970s wrist sweatbands?

I'd rather no get bogies on my competition jacket and I'm not sure wristbands are BD legal (I'll have to remember them for other occasions though! 😂🤢

nikkimariet

Visit site
I take a strong antihistamine for prickly heat rash, seems to have stopped my summer sniffles (not hayfever related, it's only when exercising!).

Nothing wrong with a footballer snot if needs must lol...

sarahann1

Visit site
Totally forgot to update this.....

So, took the advice of cold and flu drink, it worked, I'm pleased to say I did not have to resort to using my sleeves or gloves!

Though noting for next time, if I'm feeling sorry for myself I'm not bothering! Sadly we came away with abysmal marks from a list judge who is very experienced. Cue me feeling even more pathetic and sorry for myself, I might have even cried a bit, or a lot, how stupid!

Had a superb lesson last night which put a smile back on my face, also with no leaky nose issues.

Cheers folks!