Learn to ride

Agent XXX999

Visit site

My OH is one of these really annoying sportsmen who can do anything in an instant. He has a golf handicap of 7, ski’s down cliffs, thinks its strange when he doesn’t get a strike in bowling…you know the type! Anyway, I took him to the New Forest for a treat, and he suggested going for a hack. He has never sat on a horse before…yet he got rising trot in 10 minutes (OK it was not pretty but that’s beside the point) He has got still hands and only wobbles a bit.

He has been for another hack since, when he was working away and “went the one faster than trot” (his words, not mine)

His confidence seems to be growing…though I haven’t got him mucking out yet – it seems to be a bit selective – he is happy to be around the horses.

Anyway…the reason for my post is this. It is his birthday and I thought that I might buy him some riding lessons, so he can get up to some sort of level – for lots of reasons, but mostly because I think he looks hilarious on a horse, and if I can get him to ‘catch the bug’ he is likely to be a lot more accommodating when I want to go competing every weekend!

What is the best way for a 28 year old man to learn to ride – private lessons, shall I teach him, group lessons…. I am thinking of male pride here!

Also – can anyone recommend good riding schools in Surrey? We are just by junction 8 of the M25…

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
Maybe one priv just to get him used to the way of teaching (Also most riding schools need to see hes riding and get him to a level before entering in a group) Then put him in a group idealy with lots of peer pressure!
smirk.gif

rach1984horse

Visit site
Get him a couple of private lessons first, then see if there is an adult group he can join. That way he won't be put off stuck in a group of kids.

I took ex OH (also a rugby playing really good at sports type) for a couple of starter hacks (they do 20mins in ths school then go for a hack). The first one was fine and he was rising trot with his horse following me after 3 laps. However the second time some little kid insisted on leading him, and kept saying "Don't speak to Pom, your heavy and she hates you!" That kind of killed his enthusiasm for the whole thing.

You could always see if you got borrow a quiet hack to take him out yourself once he's had a couple of lessons. That way it can be something you do together, and being out and about might keep him more interested than just being in the school.

spider

community.webshots.com
Great idea, you could go on riding hols together. Lots of men seem to be learning at the moment, don't know if it's the only fools and horses effect. You might find he fits into a group quite easily. Certainly some of the group lessons at our yard are 50% men. They mainly seem more interested in jumping and galloping round the countryside than the finer points of dressage.

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Going on personal experience here, Id try and get him private lessons. Also, and I *know* this isnt the easiest thing in the world, if you can find a male teacher I think thats preferable
wink.gif

kirstyfk

Visit site
My dad lernt to ride when he was 30 and did his first Pre-Novice at 50! be prepared for him to show more affection to his horse than you!

pagancluf

Visit site
Ooh dear !! - do you want him to have the same interest as you - I thought going down to the stables was meant to be a break from the other half!! God help it if my OH learnt to ride!!!

Agent XXX999

Visit site
He is away for 6 months of the year at least (which is prob why we are still together) thus need him to enjoy the horses as not giving them up just cos he is at home...!