learning horse to do reign back and instead learned to fall

mistonia

Visit site
Has any one any experience in that when learning their horse to do reign back learns it to fall instead. well I decided bout time my four year old could do some sort of reign back as had been asked for it at a show in june and couldn't. so put bridal on in field and asked her to step backwards using reigns as I would but voice command and encouragement when needed. we were backing up great. so got on bare back, and warmed up bit walk to trot and halt transitions get her listening. and then stoped her in middle field and asked for reign back went back two strides, she sort of tilted her head, I put slight more pressure on and she falls like a trained stunt horse, so graceful. got back on bare back and asked her again and she done same thing. so gave up did more work on ground and she did it fine. any ideas on how to correct this, as shes being sold how would I explain that when asked for reign back she thinks she has to fall. I am going to get the long reigns out and have a go that way.

Tempi

Visit site
ermmm why on earth did you get on your four year old bareback in a field and try to teach her to rein back????? And why at show where you asked to do a rein back? this is never asked for any type of showing..............

You shouldnt be askin her to go back with the reins in the first place, its done by using your legs and your seat. This is the main problem with people when riding this movement, they think that sawing at the horses head and hanging on the reins makes the horse go backwards, IT DOSENT...........

When hacking out or something and you come across a gate, gently ask your horse to move back using the gate as a guide and slight leg pressure behind the girth on with alternate legs to match her hind legs moving backwards.

Then try in the school, perhaps with someone on the ground applying gently pressure to her chest whilst you apply alternate leg aids. DONT use the reins to pull her backwards, thats not how the movement is ridden. Do you not have someone you have lessons with who can show you how its done properly?

Jo C

Visit site
Sorry PG I agree with everything you say but there are a few showing classes that ask for rein back, HOYS and a couple of the Ponies UK champs ones for M&Ms. Not sure that this case sounds like one of those classes though.

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Right, firstly you sound like an idiot..................If your horse falls over when you 'try to teach her rein back' it is generally NOT a good idea to keep trying to get her to go backwards (by pulling on the reins might I add!). And secondly your punctuation and grammer in your post are awful! And it made it very difficult to read.
I suggest you get a good instructor to teach you how do do rein back then work on your horse together.

Bertie1

Visit site
Scary post, is it a joke?!

I can't imagine what you were doing to your poor horse to make it fall over. Horses don't generally fall over when you ask them to step backwards, you'd have to be doing something pretty extreme.

Very worrying, if it's not some stupid joke post.

Farrieress

Visit site
Slightly concerned that someone would think that getting on a horse in a field, bareback and pulling the reins to get it to go backwards!!!!!!!!! Did you really think that this was a good idea. And why when the horse fell over once did you then think to yourself "i know, lets try that again!!!!!!"

For starters rein back is not performed using the rein it is asked for using the seat and lower leg, and 2 and inexperienced rider and a young horse does not a sucessful movement make! You need help, preferably from an experienced instructor who will help you start these movements from the ground then GRADUALLY build up over time to be able to peform them mounted.

I was hoping this was a joke i cant believe there are still people out there like this!

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
agree with jo c, I do bsps show hunter pony and cherif with my boy and rein back is expected but not at a novice level and I certainly would never ask a four year old to it in the show ring for the first time without practising at home with an instructor.
Please do not attempt to teach rein back with long reins, rein back is achieved by asking for halt, keep legs on and either squeez or slide legs back and do not allow horse to go forwards with reins - not by hauling on reins.