Learning to drive.. 4x4?

silly_billy

Visit site
I am learning to drive, but am only allowed to drive my mum's landrover..

The insurance costs are fine if i have a provisional lisence, but if i get a full lisence, the insurance goes up into the thousands - more than the landrover is worth!

Am i just looking in the wrong place or has anyone else had this experience?

Thanks!

noblesteed

Visit site
I learned to drive in an old banger of a Landy Series 3. It was great, you could get all your mates in. I was a named driver on her insurance and it wasn't too expensive, but that was a good few years ago.
Have you tried Admiral? They were always cheap when I was a youngster.

ladyt25

Visit site
as a named drive it should't be so much for tou but it is going to still be quite expensive unfortunately as insurers are increasing premiums for younger drivers now. You have the uninsured drivers to thank for that I'm afraid!

gina2201

Visit site
Whilst you have a provisional licence it will be cheaper as ultimatly the liability is your mother who is claimed against should you have an accident as she is "responsible" for you. When I passed I also took the PassPlus and that took my premiums down a bit, I was initially insured with Norwich Union but have found Tesco to be very competitive until I turned 25 when Swift Cover was best.

nixxyz

Visit site
defo try and do the pass plus, a mate of mine did hers when it first came out and her premiums dropped by nearly £500!!!:eek: just in general premiums are seriously on the up and some companies still class you as a young driver till you hit 30!! when i started on my dads insurance we used the co-operative as it was mega cheep lol but ive found now that admiral, axa and swift cover are all quite cheep at the min

JenHunt

Visit site
I also learnt in an ancient landy (old series 2a) - insurance was more than we paid for the thing, but it was awesome, it never broke down and coped with everything! The insurance gets cheaper quite quickly for the first few years after you pass your test.