Learning to drive (a horse)

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I have a miniature and my intention is to school her for driving. I have never tried this before and will be having lessons myself shortly. What I need to know is how to start the mini off, she is just a yearling. I long rein her but in a headcollar, no bit and she is excellent and responds well to voice commands. I wouldn't back a horse until rising 4, is it the same with driving should I wait until she is that age before I introduce her to a harness and the 'feel' of weight behind her?

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
Forgot to say she will be going to a professional for schooling just wanted to know if there is anything I can do to start her off and make her life easier.

lora3786

Visit site
Hi! I have just broken my own mini to driving this year. He is 4 now, I have been long reining him since a yearling in a headcollar then moved to a normal bridle with a straight rubber bar bit from a 2yr old (he was a strong stroppy opinionated colt lol!) just with reins & roller - did quite a lot of 'hacking' nice long walks with him to get him used to the big wide world. As a 3 year old introduced him to full harness plus blinkers, and got him pulling a tyre. By the time I came to putting a carriage to him last Xmas (so late 3yr old) he took it all in his stride. Been working him in carriage properly since June this year & we're already out doing indoor driving trials (thoroughly recommend it when you get that far - great fun!!) Shetlands can be quite slow to mature mentally so just go at their pace & you'll be fine, most of them love it! Good luck - hope you have a lot of fun!! x

lora3786

Visit site
Sorry, meant to say yes, same as a horse don't put weight behind till a bit older & more developed, but absolutely fine to get used to harness etc earlier!

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
Thankyou Lora3786, that is very helpful. She is such a confident little filly and has seen traffic including heavy goods vehicles and farm traffic and nothing seems to phase her at all. I am really looking forward to being able to drive with her. I have 3 minis here and may school two of them for driving will have to see how this filly goes first as the other one is nothing like as confident.