Learning to ride, do you have to jump?

rafty

Visit site
When learning to ride is it necessary to jump? I have regularly had lessons, but have just recently stopped as I am just sick of having to jump every other week. Its not something I have mastered and just dreed it. Of course its not improving as I am just so tense when jumping. I have a new pony and don't want to ruin our relationship together by being really tense when jumping so have stopped my lessons.

My instructor (also YO) is always asking when I am going to start again as the lady I used to ride with is waiting for me to come back to start her lessons again.

I don't mind small jumps (as in very small 50-60cm), but I freeze when the height goes up! Also its never simple, like a nice easy course. Its always v shaped jumps, jump in turn jump out, or something tricky! I am not training to compete so just don't feel its necessary. I am a grown woman with two children so just don;t want to feel this pressure.

So does everyone go through this or is just my YO?

Umbongo

Visit site
Of course you do not have to jump! And if your instructor is making you feel like you have to jump then I would be looking for a new instructor!

I.Camilla

Visit site
If it is not your intention, sounds like a new instructor should be on the agenda. Have you told her you don't really fancy jumping and would like to concentrate on the flat?

Obviously popping the odd little fence now and then even if you don't want to jump, is a nice change for the horse. But I'm sure you wouldn't mind if that's all she ever included now and then.

Xander

Visit site
No, you shouldn't have to jump. Any decent instructor should be nudging you out of your comfort zone though, and jumping is a useful skill to have.
Perhaps you could have a couple of jumping lessons on a schoolmaster to get you feeling a bit more comfortable with it?

SallyBatty

Visit site
Of course you don't have to jump. Have you actually said to your instructor that you don't wish to have jump lessons anymore (or at least for the time being)? You might find that she/he is perfectly happy to concentrate on flatwork with you if that is what you want. If not then change instructor.

mandwhy

Visit site
Wow I would have been dying to find an instructor like that when I was younger! I have hardly ever done jumping in lessons, there are plenty of instructors who mostly concentrate on flatwork :)

rafty

Visit site
I have told her more times that I can count I don't want to jump. However, that is how she plans lessons at the stables. Kids and adults alike, one week flat, one week jumping and the odd hack.

I would be quite happy to do a few small jumps everyother week, and may possibly even enjoy that. On my own I set up a mini course with small jumps and do that and enjoy it. But with her I just fine the exercises too difficult and the jumps to high.

It all started when I bought my previous horse. He was a 6 year old comp horse. He was great, but he was a huge jumper and I was not skilled enough to deal with him. At the time my YO/instructor was going through a nasty breakup and was a complete b***h and would not pay any attention to the problems I was having with him( she did come with me when choosing a horse). So it just spiralled out of control, he lost faith in me and me in him. I just could not jump him and fell off everytime, 3 years later I sold him on as the damage in our partnership seemed irreparable. I now have a 15 year old pony who has been there and done it all. We have had issues though and have just overcome that and are getting on well at hacking out and flat work. I will soon be moving her back to the stables for the winter, and will feel obliged to have my lessons. I am just so scared of ruining my partnership with her by jumping.

I have stuck at these stables through some very s**t times, and I don't actually like being there and she is far from sympathetic. However, my OH is very non horsey and does not want me to move as it is just down the road. Literally a 7 km ride away.

So already stressing about it which is not good!!!

Hoofprints in the Snow

Visit site
Riding is supposed to be fun. Just be firm and do what you want to do, not what she wants you do. You are the customer after all. You could miss out the lesson on the jumping week perhaps.

The_snoopster

Visit site
No you dont have to jump if you do not want to, put your foot down and say no if she still insists on it find a new instructer. I have been riding for over 20 years, had one jumping lesson and decided it was not for me and the first lesson was my last lesson.

kc100

Visit site
Sounds like you definitely need a new instructor - does the YO allow other instructors to come and teach, or would she not allow that because she is an instructor herself?

At the end of the day it is your horse, your life and no-one should be forcing you to do things you are not comfortable with. Perhaps when you find another instructor you could disguise it by saying you want dressage training, that way it will seem that you are just looking for a different type of training so she might not get so upset!

The YO doesnt sound great to be honest, I think you might be wise to look for another yard if you can. While your OH may not be horsey, I'm sure he will want you to be happy and if you are not happy at your current yard he cant argue with your reasons for wanting to move. I'm sure there will be other yards within a reasonable distance, yes it might not be so close but you dont have to move miles and miles away either!

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Absolutely ridiculous, it is a good idea to do a few pops over cross poles and gridwork and so on, this allows rider and horse to work together, but if you don't like going higher, then get someone else to instuct, there can never be , one week flat, one week jump, nonsense!
you don't see show jumper riding their young horse over big jumps, they work them over small courses so they learn without straining either mentally or physically.

Silmarillion

Visit site
You're paying the money - either tell her what you want to do and stick to it, or find someone else. Jumping is good for all-round education, but only as high and as much as you want or there's no point riding as you won't enjoy it. I haven't jumped in years.

Tizzy

Visit site
Your horse, your money, your life = you decide what you want to do with it without people pressuring you.

Put your foot down and say you are not interested in jumping. If she/he doesnt like it then tell them you will be looking for a new instructor. Dont let them bully you into lessons that you dont want to do.

spike123

Visit site
Your horse, your money, your life = you decide what you want to do with it without people pressuring you.

Put your foot down and say you are not interested in jumping. If she/he doesnt like it then tell them you will be looking for a new instructor. Dont let them bully you into lessons that you dont want to do.

exactly this! Your horse, Your money and your choice. If you don't want to do jumping then you don't have to do it. You could always tell the YO that horse isn't able to jump due to having had a hard life previously and therefore you won't be jumping. You could then say that you would be happy for flatwork lessons if YO is happy to do so. Perhaps tell them that the horse can't jump won't jump lol and that you are aiming this one at dressage

sarahann1

Visit site
No, very definately not! Your instructor should accomodate what everyone wants and this includes people not wanting to jump. There is plenty you could by doing whilst the others jump. Back in the day I used to teach, some of the folk in the lessons would be jumping whilst the others did a different exercise when it was there turn.

I made it very, very clear to all that there was no disgrace if you didn't jump. It worked well, just required a bit of planning on my part to keep everyone interested, but pushed onwards in there riding and most importantly happy.

rafty

Visit site
I think I am going to try the 'she can't jump due to old injury' routine and see what happens. I just want lessons to be fun again, which they haven;t for a very long time!!!