Lease mares in a different country

crabbymare

Visit site
This is carefully worded so it cannot possibly be construed as an advert. Thoughts please on leasing a good quality proven mare (with GP level dressage relations) in a different country. as in the owner keeps the mare (with a very good stud vet) but the leaser pays a fee and the stud/insemination costs to their choice of stallion and has the foal at weaning. I think its more common in US/Canada but wondered what peoples thoughts were and what sort of costs were involved for those who have done it?

GemG

Visit site
I think it's a great idea. I had to get a broodmare on breeding loan as I had an arrangement where I had stallion but no mare, this is not quite the same as what your meaning, but I looked at trying to get the 'use' of a quality, well bred mare suitable for what I was looking for - and struggled.

I thought about contacting studs to see if they could assist, but thought that surely all their decent mares would surely already be spoken for so to speak. Ended up loaning as didn't want to buy something when I had no intention to keep it for more than a breeding season as it seemed unfair. And finances would restrict my choice of mare greatly if I had to buy a good one. I am now on foal watch.... She is huge....

Ramble, ramble.

I don't know how much interest you would have, but I think it's a great opportunity for the right person. Food for thought certainly. I'm sure there will be lots of cons too, as with most things, but I haven't time to think of those yet.

I think a good contract or agreement would need to be drafted up covering all eventualities.

Yes, I believe it's done across the pond. One of the regular posters on this forum, who's name escapes me (grr baby brain!) is over there and mentioned this is done over there ... I'm sure they may read this post and can prob be more helpful.

TBB

Visit site
I think I read about something similar on a Chronical of the Horse Forum (US). Try having a look on there and you might get details of how its done and whats involved agreement wise!

crabbymare

Visit site
Thanks both I was thinking it could be a good way to try a different bloodline to normal without having to purchase a mare and also possibly to have easier access to a stallion that may only be available by fresh semen and at a sensible cost. I will look on Chronicle and see if I can find peoples experiences of it over there as well :)

GemG

Visit site
It's forum member 'Spring Feather' you need to speak to, based N America and can't speak for them but I think they're familiar with this type of arrangement I think :)

Knew I would remember eventually!