LEAST absorbent shavings?

Fransurrey

Visit site
I normally use aubiose on dirt in the shelter, but with Henry still being penned in at night, it's a job and a half to muck out and costing a small fortune. He's going back in there to pee in the day, too, so I'm mucking out twice daily. Wondering about switching to shavings, so that the pee drains rather than absorbs into the bed. I tried semi-deep littering, but he drags the bed around and it stinks if I don't take out the wet every time.

So, what's the crappiest shavings (for absorbency) known to man and beast???

holeymoley

Visit site
IMO Bedmax....the big chips, looks lovely and fluffy and smells great but utter tosh at soaking up anything unless you have a smaller chip/sawdust/pellets on the base to absorb.

asmp

Visit site
Laysoft? If you buy it direct from the manufacturer and buy it by the pallet load it is only £6 a bale.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I thought it was just me; I hate bedmax! I feel I've been conned when I use them...those big flakes look impressive but the rest of the bale is crap.

Fransurrey

Visit site
I did think Bedmax, as I remember using it a long time ago. I've used miscanthus, too, but found it incredibly dusty last year, so went posh, hence aubiose. Will get Bedmax, then. Ta, people. I don't use enough of it to warrant a pallet load (I don't put a bed down from Spring, as it's just used as an indoor toilet by the ponies).

jj_87

Visit site
Bedmax.. I use these for my rabbits as they are huge flakes and dust free so not very absorbent. (I dust makes them absorbent along with smaller flakes)

planete

Visit site
I used Aubiose. i used to deep litter it, just pick up the droppings, keep topped up to cover up any wet appearing and dig up the wet once a week. It compacted well and the bed stayed dry. I always thought it was the best way to use it. i never used it for a bed that is going to be mucked out thoroughly every day

Fransurrey

Visit site
I used Aubiose. i used to deep litter it, just pick up the droppings, keep topped up to cover up any wet appearing and dig up the wet once a week. It compacted well and the bed stayed dry. I always thought it was the best way to use it. i never used it for a bed that is going to be mucked out thoroughly every day
As I say above, I have tried that, but he digs the bed as he walks around. As a result it stinks!