Leather or rubber boots?

Do you over spend every month but more than a few hundred pounds?

• Total voters

SummerStorm

Visit site
As the title suggests...

I've been borrowing jod boots for competing in from a friend but I really, really do need to get a pair of boots of my own.

I've been told that it's expected that generally you wear long boots in BSJA seniors (I'm just out of juniors) and I've been having a look at getting some but there does seem to be a huge jump in the price for rubber to leather boots.

Is either one better than the other, and why? Any recommended brands...? All help is really appreciated as I'm at a bit of a loss...

S x

SummerStorm

Visit site
I'm really not bothered - I only looked into new ones but that's because I forgot all about second hand
blush.gif

mandy4727

Visit site
Look in the Robinsons catalogue I got mine from there and a lovely fit and were only about £90 new. I got my daughter some brand new zip up the back ones off ebay and they were £35 and leather.

bellgave

Visit site
LEATHER, not only do they look better, they offer a lot more protection. I just got a spare pair on ebay for £40 and they are great, just as they were described and fit perfectly!!!

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Leather boots without a doubt! they have much more give once they develop a crease and are sooooo comfy! I have a pair of sarm Hippique boots and I love them.
Plus I don't think your allowed to wear rubber boots for BSJA.

Puppy

Visit site
Leather - without a doubt. Got mine as a 21st birthday pressie from the parents and I love them!!

Although rubber are cheaper, leather ones will last so much longer I would say (if you take care of them) they work out better value.

Peanot

Visit site
Leather definately. I have a pair of leather Hawkins and they are lovely but I have just won a pair of Brogini boots on Ebay, so I am now selling the Hawkins as I have no need for them. Leather are so much nicer than rubber.

teapot

Visit site
Leather definately. Rubber boots are a pet hate of mine.

And if you can't afford long leather boots, there are many many matching boots and gaitors systems around now

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
Leather all the way - got mine off ebay brand new. I hate rubber boots cannot move your ankle in them.

dieseldog

Visit site
You are allowed to wear rubber boots in BSJA.

But get leather. Rubber boots are about £40, and they will last 1 year. Leather boots are about £100 and will last about 10 years - a some resoleing. So £40/year for rubber or £10 per year for leather.

I bought a pair of Ariat Long boots on ebay for £40. Don't buy Olympic ones. And go to a few tack shops and try different brands on as they are all cut differently and some will fit and others wont even though they are the same size

dieseldog

Visit site
You are allowed to wear rubber boots in BSJA.

But get leather. Rubber boots are about £40, and they will last 1 year. Leather boots are about £100 and will last about 10 years - with some resoleing. So £40/year for rubber or £10 per year for leather.

I bought a pair of Ariat Long boots on ebay for £40. Don't buy Olympic ones. And go to a few tack shops and try different brands on as they are all cut differently and some will fit and others wont even though they are the same size

pottamus

Visit site
I would prefer to spend my money on leather ones really...I have had both and the rubber ones did the job for hacking in for several years but they are really dreadful and for competing in you would be better in leather. Try Robinsons or depending on money...Mountain Horse ones are not bank breaking and worth every penny...I love mine.

lizstuguinness

Visit site
you cant ride correctly in rubber boots. they dont allow your ankle to curve around the horses side. so if you want to have a good position and be able to ride - leather.

however you may want to go for rubber jod boots and gaiters (not sure you can get them??), as this will allow your ankle to move/sit properly.

although leather will last longer, IF looked after.

livetoride

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Plus I don't think your allowed to wear rubber boots for BSJA.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never knew that! Not that I'm likely to wear them - leather boots every time for me. I have a pair of Regents at the moment.