Leather or Synthetic?

GinaB

Visit site
I'm hoping to buy a horse within the next year, year and a half and I was wondering what type of tack is preferred? Should I go the cheaper option and buy synthetic or just save and save some more for good leather tack?

Thanks

CastleMouse

Visit site
You can get some great leather tack second hand for good enough value, it will last much longer than synthetic tack, is usually more comfortable, and looks smarter!
smile.gif

teapot

Visit site
I've ridden in lovely synthetic saddles and horrible leather ones.

Really does depend on your budget and what you're wanting to do. For instance I know people who have a leather gp saddle but a synthetic dressage saddle.

My personal preference is leather but if I was to have to chose a synthetic saddle - would be the Wintec VSD - I rode a friend's horse in one and didnt actually realise it wasn't leather. Was very comfy

TiaPony

Visit site
It depends on the horse, if yoo buy a young un, synthetic is better as their shapes change. same goes for an older horse who is under/over weight. then invest in a leather saddle when they are a settled shape and size. if yoor buyin a horse thats fully grown and decent shape then buy leather!
x

sylvapak

Visit site
yep you can get second hand saddles from saddlefitters... and they will get one that will suite your needs etc and probably re-flock etc if needed... mine did

WelshRareBit

Visit site
when i bought Murph I had synthetic saddle - which is great and cost me £120.
I will always keep it as is great for hacks etc - but I do want a leather one, esp as Im keep to get into shows etc.
Id say buy the best you can happily afford.
x

UKa

community.webshots.com
Hi, I think it depends on your personal preference as well as the horse you will get; personally I used to be for leather only until I got my girl for who the synthetic saddle I eventually got for her has been a blessing as it is so lightweight and as such really helps her sensitive back; apart from that it turned out to be really comfy and after a ride in the rain I dont have to worry about cleaning it so - I AM A CONVERT ... but again, depends on the type of horse and what you are going to do I s'pose.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Some people like synthetic as it is quick & easy to clean. I far prefer leather tack but don't fall into the trap of buying really cheap leather, it can stretch & it never looks good no matter how much you clean it.

When budget is limited it is better to buy good quality second hand leather tack, when cleaned it has a deep sheen & looks & performs really well. I bought a second hand stubben bridle, great condition for £32, and it looks a treat.
smile.gif

miamibear

Visit site
Whatever fits the horse!!

I prefer leather for the look but i had synthetic saddles for years.

If your budget is tight and its a second hand leather or a new synthetic i would say whichever fits best.

Personally i really like the look of the wintec isabelle dressage saddles and would have had one of those had i not fallen in love with my Cliff Barnsby dressage when i sat on it!!

Fit is of the upmost importance to me though, always get it fitted by a qualified reputable saddle fitter.

xx

MagicMelon

Visit site
Well, definately get leather bridle (synthetic is dangerous as wont snap in an emergency!).

Saddle-wise, its just personal preference. I have both types. I tend to buy whatever happens to fit each horse! I normally go for leather, but my Welshie for example needed something rather wide but also he was young and changes shape so I wanted the changeable gullet so a Wintec Wide fitted him perfectly. Ive always looked down on Wintecs as they're cheap but actually its brilliant. VERY comfy (with Cair), fits well, is very light, easy to keep and still looks brand new. Was so impressed with them I bought their dressage one for my other horse which he also loves (I think because it is to lightweight).

Chex

Visit site
I had a synthetic saddle for years and loved it! I bought a leather treeless (struggled to find a synthetic) and its already looking a bit mouldy and old. Prefer a leather bridle though, the cheap ones are cheaper than synthetic anyway. Even if I had an massive budget I'd still by a synthetic saddle, I find them much comfier, much lighter and so easy to clean.

anniedoherty

www.boxtreegallery.co.uk
I have a leather bridle and synthetic saddle. The saddle is absoultely fine but I think leather always looks smarter as you can get it to really shine. I am not 100% keen on the synthetic stirrup leathers though as they are really stiff if you need to change holes and I don't think they will ever "bed in" like leather ones. Unfortunately, I can't use my leather ones as they would need cleaning with saddle soap etc and you can't get that on a synthetic saddle.