Leather??

mangobiscuit

Visit site
Can someone tell me what the difference between English and German leather is (in what ways).

Am (still!) bridle shopping online...

Thanks
tongue.gif

mangobiscuit

Visit site
confused.gif
I know the square root of nothing about leather - as long as it's the suppler of the two it's all good!

Am looking at Rhinegold and Heritage comfort bridles and they look so similar am having difficulties choosing.
ooo.gif

barneyandem

Visit site
Hmm im not sure what to suggest then... i have a stubben bridle that has worn very well and hardly aged, where as my jeffries bridle hasnt lasted as well....
Someone mut know more about leather...

flyingfeet

Visit site
The difference is the 'stuffing' this is the oil / fat content of the leather

English leather is generally stuffed with vegetable oil and drum dyed. German is a similar process, but the amount of oil in the stuffing is increased.

The result is that German is softer and more supple, however can be prone to changing shape (more in the cheaper level).

English leather is more suitable for all weathers, whereas the German stuff really doesn't stand up to heavy use such as hunting.

However should be noted that neither leather refers to either the origin of the hide or where the tanning takes place.

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
... i have a stubben bridle that has worn very well and hardly aged, where as my jeffries bridle hasnt lasted as well....

[/ QUOTE ]
Nooooooo! Cob Blob has an 'everyday' Stubben bridle (we're not 'posh' - a sh*tbag mare tore it in half when she attacked him!) & I have just bought him a lovely Jefferies bridle - oh please someone, tell me it will last forever! LOL

Peanot

Visit site
I had the Heritage one first and the top part of the headpiece kept slipping so I eventually bought the Rhinegold and it is a lot better, it keeps in place. They are about the same quality though I think.
I get loads from Ebay too.
grin.gif