Leaving a livery yard without notice.. legalities of it?

K95

Visit site
I don't wish to go into details but I plan to leave my yard in a few days (staying would mean no turnout from next week - bad welfare, not to mention a whole lot of animosity on the yard). A new yard has come up and I just want to be gone asap.

There's no livery contract at all. I paid monthly but that's what worked best for me rather than it being in a contract.

Post edited - Money is squared up till 11th. Can they make me pay more for ‘notice’ or not?

Last edited:

Frano

Visit site
Go to the new yard. Do what is best for you and your horse. You may have to be willing to pay the £50.00 you owe for food. But your welfare and your horses welfare are the most important thing at the moment.

Reactions: TPO

K95

Visit site
Sorry but do you really want to wreck your reputation over £50 quid. Don't stoop to their level. Pay and go quietly it will pay you dividend long term.

I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but obviously if I could get away with keeping it I would. A friend has agreed to lend me it so I don't bust my overdraft. Covid hits hard when you've got a lot of expensive animals :(

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Sorry but do you really want to wreck your reputation over £50 quid. Don't stoop to their level. Pay and go quietly it will pay you dividend long term.

This. I wouldn't even consider not paying as the YM could point out you are on the hook for the livery cost for the notice period.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Beacause that is equivalent to 1 weeks livery. I’ve paid for longer than I’m staying for, which wasn’t by choice
That's not how it works. If you pay monthly, your notice period is a month, no need for a contract. They can say it was verbal.
The feed is a seperate entity.
So even if you pay the £50 really you've got away lightly.

Nari

Visit site
I would pay, my reputation is worth more than £50 plus I would see it as I'd stolen the feed from them and I'm not a thief. Since you pay monthly I would say you're pushing it not to pay a month's notice, though given that they've changed the service provided by withdrawing grazing I could live with that.

K95

Visit site
That's not how it works. If you pay monthly, your notice period is a month, no need for a contract. They can say it was verbal.
The feed is a seperate entity.
So even if you pay the £50 really you've got away lightly.

but if I’m paying for a service that I won’t be receiving come next week? Then where do I stand? Like I say, I would have stayed longer and done it properly but I cannot keep horses in a stable for 4 weeks.

Lilly-Mayspookatbags

Visit site
Going against the grain here, but I was in a similar situation a few years ago.

I went in with the option of I will pay everything if asked, but ended up not paying because that’s how it worked out.
Although my reason was I ended up with a large vets bill due to gross negligence so the bridge was already burned.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
but if I’m paying for a service that I won’t be receiving come next week? Then where do I stand? Like I say, I would have stayed longer and done it properly but I cannot keep horses in a stable for 4 weeks.
You won't change my mind. You need to pay for the feed you've had. Livery that you've already paid for in advance can't be used for that.

K95

Visit site
Why will turnout be stopped?

because I’ve been too slow castrating my youngster (because covid cancelled initial appointment!!) - so I have to put him into herd 3 weeks after castration or keep him in for 6 weeks. He’s been entire 3 years he’s still a dangerous stallion behaviourwise

K95

Visit site
Going against the grain here, but I was in a similar situation a few years ago.

I went in with the option of I will pay everything if asked, but ended up not paying because that’s how it worked out.
Although my reason was I ended up with a large vets bill due to gross negligence so the bridge was already burned.

Thanks, at least someone understands the situation! I’ve already paid out £200 this month for vets bills for injuries caused on yard which could have been prevented too :(. If other people were in my shoes with no income as of next week they might understand more :(

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
because I’ve been too slow castrating my youngster (because covid cancelled initial appointment!!) - so I have to put him into herd 3 weeks after castration or keep him in for 6 weeks. He’s been entire 3 years he’s still a dangerous stallion behaviourwise
As the reason you have to leave isn't related to a change in policy at the yard, yeah, sorry, you need to pay and hope you aren't expected to pay for the full month's notice period.

TPO

Visit site
I would say pay what you're due but if there is a welfare issue then that's the priority.

Do you pay £50pw livery? Does that cover the feed bill? Are you planning on doing a moonlight flitting?

If you are I'd phone once you were safely gone and had all your equipment and say that as you aren't using next weeks livery that covers the outstanding feed bill.

I've always given notice but if your horse's welfare is in danger that that is different.

If you are doing a moonlight flit and are intending to use the livery already paid in advance to cover the feed bill just make sure that new YO knows. Explain the situation and your payment strategy. Last thing you need is Chinese whispers reaching YO later and them taking issue with you

Nari

Visit site

So it's actually your actions that mean no turn out, not that the yard owner has changed the terms. In that case I'd pay not only the feed money but also month's notice even though I wouldn't stay to use it.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Yep, you have to pay your notice period. You do have a contract (albeit implied), set by the frequency of your payments.

Remember, a bad reputation follows you around. Imagine your new yard owner finding out that you’re a ‘midnight flitter’. I can’t imagine that would go down well, and you may find yourself homeless....

Bellaboo18

Visit site
That's even worse! So you've got no turnout for good reason.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Thanks, at least someone understands the situation! I’ve already paid out £200 this month for vets bills for injuries caused on yard which could have been prevented too :(. If other people were in my shoes with no income as of next week they might understand more :(
I feel sorry for anyone that has no income but that's not the yards fault. Why on earth haven't you castrated your 3 year old long ago. It sounds like they're not offering you turnout for safety reasons.

K95

Visit site
That's even worse! So you've got no turnout for good reason.

How is that for good reason? I came into the yard for a sole use field until he was safe. Now they suddenly decide that’s not the case anymore. They want him in with the herd despite the fact he could injure or kill other liveries and I (and the other liveries) are saying no Due to danger

K95

Visit site
I feel sorry for anyone that has no income but that's not the yards fault. Why on earth haven't you castrated your 3 year old long ago. It sounds like they're not offering you turnout for safety reasons.

They are offering it! I’m saying no as it’s unsafe, as are the other liveries. I got him 2 weeks before lockdown as a rescue, that is why.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
How is that for good reason? I came into the yard for a sole use field until he was safe. Now they suddenly decide that’s not the case anymore. They want him in with the herd despite the fact he could injure or kill other liveries and I (and the other liveries) are saying no Due to danger
Why hasn't he been gelded?!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Why on earth would he injure or "kill" (bit dramatic) other liveries? He's a young colt, not a tiger for heaven's sake.

I've always run colts and geldings together until 3 or 4 years old, they usually don't get into trouble. Why havn't you gelded him before now?

K95

Visit site
I would say pay what you're due but if there is a welfare issue then that's the priority.

Do you pay £50pw livery? Does that cover the feed bill? Are you planning on doing a moonlight flitting?

If you are I'd phone once you were safely gone and had all your equipment and say that as you aren't using next weeks livery that covers the outstanding feed bill.

I've always given notice but if your horse's welfare is in danger that that is different.

If you are doing a moonlight flit and are intending to use the livery already paid in advance to cover the feed bill just make sure that new YO knows. Explain the situation and your payment strategy. Last thing you need is Chinese whispers reaching YO later and them taking issue with you

Thanks. I don’t plan to moonlight flit but I don’t feel comfortable with them knowing too far in advance - moreso that it’ll get passed onto other liveries. I’ve already had 1 lady let her mares in field with mine 3x because she wants to have a foal. Luckily they weren’t fully in season at the time. I don’t fancy Her taking a last chance at putting mine to stud when I’m not there

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Thanks. I don’t plan to moonlight flit but I don’t feel comfortable with them knowing too far in advance - moreso that it’ll get passed onto other liveries. I’ve already had 1 lady let her mares in field with mine 3x because she wants to have a foal. Luckily they weren’t fully in season at the time. I don’t fancy Her taking a last chance at putting mine to stud when I’m not there
This is all sounding a bit over-dramatic - what's going on? What sort of set up is it that allows this sort of thing to go on? Who is in charge of the yard?