Leaving one horse behind on a yard?

NativePonyLover

Visit site
I'm moving house next month & not had a huge amount of luck finding a yard closer to home. I went to view a yard today & I can see us being happy there (although it's a big change from where we currently are) & it ticks most boxes, but P would routinely be left as the only horse on the yard - as the YO would take her two out competing/riding together leaving P behind.

Does anyone have any experience of doing this with 1 horse & is it an issue? Or is it something I'm expecting to be an issue, but won't be at all?!

At his current yard, horses in his block come & go & he's come in when his block is empty or been the last to turn out - but this is obviously different to loading up the two other horses & him being left totally on his own ...

I'm not at all sure how I feel about it?!

Nicnac

Visit site
Yes - mine are at home but only one events so other (neurotic ex-racer) gets left in his stable - as would kill himself if left turned out - with hay, radio on, ball full of pony nuts. He screams when we leave and screams when we get back but have it on good authority he stuffs his face and is quiet as a mouse in between times! It can be up to 12 hours that he's left.

Jnhuk

Visit site
They do get used to it but always keep the one left behind in a box with plenty hay to occupy them. If you can build up separation time or alternative getva stable mirror

TGM

Visit site
We have three at home and it is quite common for us to take two out either hacking or in the box together leaving one behind without problems. The remaining horse is left in the stable with plenty of haylage as advised above. That said I do know of some horses who would not cope at all in such a situation, but the fact that yours doesn't seem worried if last to turn out is a good omen! In fact two of mine are much more stressed about being last igoing out in the field than being left at home when the others go to a show!

Last edited:

Chottsy

Visit site
I think it depends on the horse. A couple of years back on a just opened yard we had a horse who was on his own for a few days. 2 horses had been sold within a couple of days of each other and another livery left. He was very laid back and happy as long as he had food. We double bagged his hay to keep him busy and he was quite happy. :)

Lammy

Visit site
My yearling gets left on his own when all of us decide to hack together or go to a show. I just leave him in the front paddock with a bucket of feed when we leave. He calls a little when we go but food is often far more interesting and then he whinnies when we get back and gets a little excited but other than that he's fine. Although really from the top paddock he can see the neighbours horses across the stream and if he calls they'll call back to him so he's not completely isolated. I was really worried when we left for our first hack when he was 9 months old, I didn't enjoy the hack at all and actually went back earlier because I was worried but he'd been absolutely fine and I'd been anxious about nothing. He's as quiet as a lamb but if he can do it at 9 months I'm sure most horses would cope.

Captain Bridget

Visit site
We only have two horses on our yard so they are left alone on a regular basis. The younger one used to get wound up and charge about but he's used to it now and doesn't bother.

The older I think is quite pleased when the younger one goes out! He had to stay over night at the vets not long ago and other than getting upset that he wasn't on the lorry going to a party, the older horses didn't care a jot.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
Some horses would be bothered others would.
Some learn to get used to it others never cope.

If you think your horse is laid back enough then hopefully it won't be an issue, but he may get stressed the first few times as it will be a new yard etc.

Really it's a case of seeing what happens.

Could you take him there for a could if days and see how he cope if the other horses went our for a quick ride?

PorkChop

Visit site
Ours regularly are left alone, whether that be in the field or the stable. It depends on how laid back and insistent you are prepared to be - if you are sensible it is certainly something that can be taught with most horses.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I think it depends on the horse, try it and see I guess. I have 4 horses, split in 2 different places (so 2 at each place) so I do leave one on its own sometimes if going to an event or something. One pony I bring in for the day, mainly just because she does canter about while we're gone neighing the whole time (which also winds the horse up when I'm loading to go) and if she's in with hay she settles fine for the day. The other pony doesn't seem overly bothered so I can take the other away and just leave him out as usual. However, I know it would not be nearly as easy the other way round (taking the ponies away) as one of them especially I know would go nuts.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I have 3 and regularly leave one alone. One's fine with it, the other two scream a bit and generally get left in a stable for their own protection, but that has as much to do with their own little love affair as it does being left alone ;)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Mine wouldn't care, but it might be a pain if he saw the others leaving. Dunno, depends on your boy, but mine couldn't care less if he's the only one on the yard.

NativePonyLover

Visit site
Thanks for all your replies, it's given me a lot to think about!

The more I thought about it, the more uncomfortable I was with the idea - so we've given the yard a miss.

It's a shame & it could have not been a problem and we could have both been very happy, but for me, it was too big an unknown factor especially when I'm not in a hurry to move. Well, obviously the closer to my new home, the better in the long term, but there's no immediate rush.

Thanks again guys :) x