Left in lurch with post op dog

Irishcobs

Visit site
Long and complicated story but basically:
Dog is an 11yr old terrier.
It has been ill for about a week so was taken to vets who found a cyst/tumor in her womb that was infected, so it was spayed.
Dog wasn't spayed before as it has a rare immune system thing so they didn't want to do any unnecessary ops.
Dog is now home but owners have gone off on holiday this evening leaving dog and house for me to deal with.
All I have been told is to not let it jump on/off anything and only short walks on lead so it can do its business.
It is having ABs in its food twice a day.
Is there anything else I need to do/not do? It has been 5yrs since I last had a dog spayed so I can't remember what I was told.
I am really worried as it is not my dog, it has a funny immune system and it is quite old for this type of op.
Owner's dad is taking dog back to the vets on Thurs for a check up, so I just need to keep it in one piece till then.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
What strange owners, no way would I leave my dog after what sounds like quite a nasty op. They have probably told you enough for looking after her, but I would also just generally keep an eye on her for signs of discomfort, also weeping from the area of the stitches. Make sure she isn't chewing the stitches, if she does I found an old t shirt can help to cover the surgery site (just realised she is a terrier, would maybe swamp a little un). Presumably they have left you the vets phone number, in your situation I would be inclined to phone him if you have any worries. I have always found bitches recover amazingly quickly from spaying so hopefully all will be well with her.

Irishcobs

Visit site
Thanks MM. She has a lampshade collar for when I am not around to stop her getting at her stitches.
I do have the vets no just in case.

CorvusCorax

'It's only a laugh, no harm done'
Visit site
One of our bitches was spayed as an oldie and I was left at home to look after her as my Mum was away working (I was about 13/14, my Nan was there but it was my dog and she had enough to do looking after me!)

Agree about stitches - D ended up taking all hers out herself without me noticing. Would you be able to get an Elizabethan collar from the vet?

Agree not to let her do anything too strenuous. I didn't walk D at all, just a potter in garden.

Our vet told us to give her a wee bit of Guinness to keep her strength up but as it isn't your dog, maybe give that one a miss!