Leg ice stuff ....how do you use it?

Hornby

Visit site
I am thinking of doing a pleasure ride and wanted to use some leg ice afterwards (I will probably need it more than horse but it is for him!
cool.gif
) I used to use Ice Tight (a clay) but you clever people seem to favour the cool ice "washes" more...how do you use it? Smear on legs after ride and then do you bandage or leave? How do you travel them home - I usually use travel boots, can I with the gel stuff? Thanks.

KatB

Visit site
After eventing I usually wash his legs off with plenty of cold water and then apply the leg gel when I get home (I use cool boots at comp too). I dont like bandaging over the top as that seems to remove the point of putting a cooling gel on when you are just going to heat them up again?! Personally would wash his legs off with some of the gel in the water, and then smear it on once home
smile.gif

ponyclubnicole

Visit site
I use Equi-n-ice. I put them straight on after xc phase and leave them on for 15 minutes whilst I sort myself out. Apparently they shouldn't be left on for longer. The first 15 minutes are the most important my vet was telling me.

pinktiger

Visit site
i think ive tried almost every icing agent out there, from clay and brown paper to the modern ice tight bandages with the recharger fluid,,,, and i have to say have proved expensive and am not convinced about the effectiveness(sp),,, so i have invested in allround coolboots(soak in water and whack em on,, no messing arround), and yes the first 15min are the most important in cooling, but by the time you have gone round the four legs with bandages ect,,, ones gonna be late!!!!!!! the cool boots are on in less than a miniute!!!!! you can resoak and rewrap as many times as you feel it needs to get those important legs cooled!!!!

KatB

Visit site
Agree the cool boots are fantastic and I use them on my horse. However, the gels are good as have arnica etc in, so can help sooth any knocks etc overnight.
grin.gif
Used to use Icetight, but wasnt convinced by having to bandage and therefore heat the legs back up....