"Leg On"

Boots*McGruber

Visit site
Ok, so probably a daft question but can people explain what "leg on" means to them? My horse isn't as responsive to my leg aids as he is to my instructor's. Do people who have been riding a long time have stronger calves or is it in the technique? Does "leg on" mean a quick kick with the heel, or a squeeze with the calves? How does your overall position affect the efficacy of your leg aids? What is the best way to improve effectiveness of your leg aids?

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
You shouldn't have to continually nag a horse to go forwards off the leg; as an endurance-rider friend said to me once, a horse that needs the rider to constantly have their "leg on" might be fine for a quick burst in the school, pop a fence say, or a nondescript hack, but try riding a horse that needs "leg on" constantly for say a 30K ride, and it would be a different kettle of fish!

I remember seeing a demo by Tim Stockdale (may he rest in peace) and he was basically saying the same, that once a horse is "told" to canter forwards with a degree of impulsion then you shouldn't need to constantly be reminding them of what they're supposed to be doing!

I remember an old-style horseman once telling me that the best "cure" for getting a sticky horse to go forward into the bridle and off the leg, was to take them out for a day's hunting!!

Boots*McGruber

Visit site
You shouldn't have to continually nag a horse to go forwards off the leg; as an endurance-rider friend said to me once, a horse that needs the rider to constantly have their "leg on" might be fine for a quick burst in the school, pop a fence say, or a nondescript hack, but try riding a horse that needs "leg on" constantly for say a 30K ride, and it would be a different kettle of fish!

I remember seeing a demo by Tim Stockdale (may he rest in peace) and he was basically saying the same, that once a horse is "told" to canter forwards with a degree of impulsion then you shouldn't need to constantly be reminding them of what they're supposed to be doing!

I remember an old-style horseman once telling me that the best "cure" for getting a sticky horse to go forward into the bridle and off the leg, was to take them out for a day's hunting!!

Someone else has advised me to take him hunting to encourage forwardness & I also agree that I need to ride with my leg off most of the time so that when I do use it I'm more likely to get a reaction.

However, my question is when I do need more activity from him, how do I apply the leg aid? What exactly should my leg be doing? If my instructor is riding him and wants more activity he "puts his leg on" & more often than not gets an appropriate response. In the same situation, I put my leg on and often don't get an appropriate response. So, what I'm really getting at is am I applying the aid incorrectly? I think "leg on" is a phrase we all use but what does it mean in terms of how the rider uses their leg?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It's all part of general riding fitness, giving effective aids, having an independent seat and a strong core all work together. However I would also suggest checking that your legs are in the same position as your RI's, if he is taller than you or otherwise sits differently, that might be part of your answer. As he can see you and your horse, he really is the best person to advise.

Teajack

Visit site
Ok, so probably a daft question but can people explain what "leg on" means to them? My horse isn't as responsive to my leg aids as he is to my instructor's. Do people who have been riding a long time have stronger calves or is it in the technique? Does "leg on" mean a quick kick with the heel, or a squeeze with the calves? How does your overall position affect the efficacy of your leg aids? What is the best way to improve effectiveness of your leg aids?
A tap wth the inside of the lower leg, followed by a slap wth it if that does not result in smart forward movement, then a slap and simultaneous tap wth a a schoolling whip if still no satisfactory response. i tend to click my tongue along with the whip and can then use the click as the 'oy'. Only your leg from the knee down should move, your knee joint is a hinge, and its the insde of your boot which apples the aid. Keeping your heel down makes your calf muscle solid. Psychologically you need to be marching forward yourself, saying right, you're coming wth me - if that makes sense!

Its a lot easier to be effective once your core is established and you can sit still, as i am currently finding having not ridden for a couple of decades ... Some riding school horses are really very hard to motivate!

be positive

Visit site
You need to use your leg so you get a response then immediately stop using it to let the horse know it has done right, your instructor probably has stronger legs but also quicker reactions, a clearer aid and a greater expectation of what they want from the horse, you are probably using the aids correctly but with less conviction, less clarity and not quite as quickly so miss the optimum moment to get the extra activity you want.
Ask for a lesson based on this and spend the session really clarifying your aids, raising your expectations and working on your timing which is tricky to perfect but once you start to feel when to apply the aid, just before you lose the energy, then the horse will also start to become more in front of you, not wait for you to tell it to move more actively it will feel you prepare and move on with you.

Cowpony

Visit site
I find the position of my leg does make a huge difference. I have short legs, stiff hips and a horse with a large barrel, so my legs tend to slip forward. If I concentrate on keeping my legs in the right position my leg aids are a whole lot more effective.

Also check what your hands are doing. Your instructor is likely to have softer, more "forward" thinking hands. If your leg is saying go but your hands are saying woah that's not helpful either. It's hard to isolate one part of your body as being the problem when riding is such a holistic activity.

mariew

Visit site
As above, it might not be your leg aid as such, you might be asking the horse to "break" with other parts of your body, thighs//hands/arms/body position etc could prevent the horse from going forwards (or ineffect sending double messages). Your instructor should be able to tell, especially as the horse goes forward after he/she asks.

Alibear

Visit site
I'm very good at letting my horses persuade me to ride with my leg off. By that I mean your leg should be gently in contact with the horses sides at all times, not pushing, not squeezing but no air gap between your leg and the horses side. This helps funnel the horse forwards at all times which is what we want and it actually makes spooky or nervous horses calm down if you can be consistent with it. Legs draped round like a wet noodle was a quote I remember from one book I read.
The once you can keep your legs consistently like that so they are always there, then you can work on using squeeze/heel/tap if/as/when needed. At one point equilibrium made Velcro straps to attach your leg to the stirrup to help with this but I just ended up relying on the strap which wasn't at all helpful as my weight wasn't where it needed to be.

blitznbobs

Visit site
‘Keep your leg on ‘ is a phrase I hate ... my horses go forward without my leg on ... legs are only there for encouragement if they back off or to change direction or pace ... my legs are close to the horses sides so that I can react quickly but I don’t ‘keep my leg on’ as such

be positive

Visit site
‘Keep your leg on ‘ is a phrase I hate ... my horses go forward without my leg on ... legs are only there for encouragement if they back off or to change direction or pace ... my legs are close to the horses sides so that I can react quickly but I don’t ‘keep my leg on’ as such

It is a term that is clear and simple to use so I will use it frequently when jump training because it is so simple and the rider will usually automatically respond by closing them and supporting the horse.
For many novices it is a way of reminding them the horse needs encouragement at times, it helps them think about keeping the leg stable and soft, I would prefer this than many other phases in use, for the average novice it is too late to think legs on when the horse backs off, slows down or if jumping it stops, they don't have to be using them constantly or nagging and if using the phrase enables the rider to maintain a good rhythm and not have to resort to kicking then unless someone can come up with a better phrase it will continue to be used while riders are developing their feel. It certainly shouldn't mean give them a "boot"

Mule

Visit site
It just means use your legs/heels to get you horse to move forward/ faster.

Muddywellies

Visit site
Leg on is more than just the leg - it comes from the seat, core and hips. If you're using your calf it sounds like you're gripping up which isn't really that productive.
Just a point to note, forwardness is a state of mind for the horse. They need to want to be responsive and forward thinking. My horse is like a donkey when I get on, and it takes best part of 25 mins of loosening and suppling, then transitions, then lateral work. Then eventually I have a horse who is responsive and on the aids.

Last edited:

Pinkvboots

Visit site
You shouldn't really use your heel a leg aid should come from the inside of your calf, if I don't get a forward response from a light aid you flap your leg or whip until you do, do it a few times then the horse should go off a light aid, even if the horse shoots off in canter doesn't matter as long as you get a forward reaction, the horse will just learn to ignore your leg if you are asking and not meaning it leg means forward so make sure you get forward.

Bernster

Visit site
And this thread neatly conveys just how confusing some horse terms can be! My OH is good at remarking onthis kind of stuff, like it’s a little code that riders use which makes no sense to others. And isn’t always that clear even to other riders! I’d ask your instructor to explain as I think it’s easier to do that with your horse and In real life. Im Rubbish at explaining this stuff!

alainax

Visit site
I explained it to my novice oh that the well trained horse is a bit like a piano. You press a different key to get a different note.

Whilst training It takes a good bit of work for you to firstly understand where his notes are, and then assign the correct keys. The hardest part is your consistency.

The aid can be anywhere from your bum cheek to your heel. From on the girth to... well as far back as you put it!

A standard “more Leg” is a squeeze of the inner lower calf directly behind the girth (if rider and horse are in proportion to one another)

My big guy takes great pleasure in his accuracy, to the point if you are off he doesn’t let you away with it! Our left canter aid for example is right seat bone down ( instructing right hind to strike off). If you pull back on his reins he speeds up, as presumes you require increased collection therefor more impulsion.

Whatever you do you need to mean it, be accurate and consistent. No nagging.

I’ve had jokes from non horsey spectators that my trainer just shouts limbs at me. “Leg!!” “Hands!!” 😂

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I explained it to my novice oh that the well trained horse is a bit like a piano. You press a different key to get a different note.

Whilst training It takes a good bit of work for you to firstly understand where his notes are, and then assign the correct keys. The hardest part is your consistency.

The aid can be anywhere from your bum cheek to your heel. From on the girth to... well as far back as you put it!

A standard “more Leg” is a squeeze of the inner lower calf directly behind the girth (if rider and horse are in proportion to one another)

My big guy takes great pleasure in his accuracy, to the point if you are off he doesn’t let you away with it! Our left canter aid for example is right seat bone down ( instructing right hind to strike off). If you pull back on his reins he speeds up, as presumes you require increased collection therefor more impulsion.

Whatever you do you need to mean it, be accurate and consistent. No nagging.

I’ve had jokes from non horsey spectators that my trainer just shouts limbs at me. “Leg!!” “Hands!!” 😂

It's weird you should say that one of my horses has to be ridden so accurately, if you don't ask for something in exactly the right way he just doesn't do it, he just won't allow any error on the riders part and you get what we call the Louis treatment, my other horse is the complete opposite even if you make a complete hash of something he will offer you something might not be what you want but you don't get punished for messing it up.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
And this thread neatly conveys just how confusing some horse terms can be! My OH is good at remarking onthis kind of stuff, like it’s a little code that riders use which makes no sense to others. And isn’t always that clear even to other riders! I’d ask your instructor to explain as I think it’s easier to do that with your horse and In real life. Im Rubbish at explaining this stuff!

I think you've hit nail on head here, it's confusing to people outside the horse world, and even within it we all have our own interpretations and own ways of doing things.
Case in point below:

I think of myself as gently hugging my horse when i ride and if i want a little more i press a heel in and lift a bit .

whereas I try to ride mine with legs draped mostly off the horse (partly because of the shape of them, I have fairly long legs for the shape of their ribcages) and when I want to use my leg I *want* to come first with my calf because that's what is in contact with the horse, i have to draw my heel up to touch the horse. Different strokes ;)

I recognise a lot of this, it's down to how you train them I think... I tend to train a canter aid where i think of inside seatbone up ;) probably ends up much the same but again the opposite way of thinking about it, and I don't think either is wrong :)

It's weird you should say that one of my horses has to be ridden so accurately, if you don't ask for something in exactly the right way he just doesn't do it, he just won't allow any error on the riders part and you get what we call the Louis treatment, my other horse is the complete opposite even if you make a complete hash of something he will offer you something might not be what you want but you don't get punished for messing it up.

To me, this is partly down to the schooling level of the horse in question (occasionally a friend of mine rides Kira to get a feel of something more advanced and she can end up doing all kinds of funny things because she's learnt to be quite sensitive and knows a lot of movements etc). and partly down to how much the horse experiments with its reactions to the rider. I have one finely tuned experimenter and one fairly untrained completely unimaginative horse, they are quite a contrast :D

Tarragon

Visit site
I ride a 13hh pony which means that my leg position against the sides of the pony and therefore the interaction of my legs with the pony is already different to someone riding a bigger horse. The pony's rib cage is already disappearing at the level of my heels. The knock on effect is going to be that "leg on" aid has to be interpreted differently.
I do sometimes feel that some riding instructors, who are used to just horses, do find it difficult to translate what the know and do to an adult rider on a smaller pony.
I had a very good lesson with Lee Pearson once (heaven knows what he thought of me, essentially a Happy Hacker, and my hairy native pony!) Lee has very limited use of his legs so rides mostly with his hips I believe so "leg on" is again something different.
The main message was to do the following 3 steps:
Step 1: make a noise to indicate a transition up (e.g. click or kissing noise)
Step 2: apply aid (so leg on)
Step 3: if no reaction or not enough of a reaction then back it up with follow up aid i.e. schooling whip or whatever it takes

Boots*McGruber

Visit site
I find the position of my leg does make a huge difference. I have short legs, stiff hips and a horse with a large barrel, so my legs tend to slip forward. If I concentrate on keeping my legs in the right position my leg aids are a whole lot more effective.

Also check what your hands are doing. Your instructor is likely to have softer, more "forward" thinking hands. If your leg is saying go but your hands are saying woah that's not helpful either. It's hard to isolate one part of your body as being the problem when riding is such a holistic activity.
Yes, that's probably true. My instructor is a fantastic rider with great balance so I don't think that he would block the forwards movement; whereas I'm much less experienced & balanced so have a habit of tensing up.