Leg Straps or Fillet String

3OldPonies

Visit site
I freely admit it - this is a question arising from the one about turnout/stable rugs.

Just wondering what people prefer on their rugs - leg straps or fillet strings?

I ask because I'm thinking of taking the leg straps off all the rugs that my oldie wears and replacing with fillet strings instead as he has been known to get caught up in non-elastic leg straps when trying to get up after a sit-down. The only downside that I can see is that when he does have a spot of bother if I'm using a fillet string is that the rugs sometimes twist at the back, not so bad as to be hanging off sideways, but I think that is better than getting caught up in a leg strap.

Nettle123

Visit site
I really do not like leg straps so I would say fillet string every time. I had a pony here get caught up and rub himself badly. I always take the leg straps off new rugs now.

I.M.N.

Visit site
I always go for fillet string, apart from my Mark Todd rugs as they twist so badly, so I make sure the leg straps aren't a mm longer than they have to be.

9tails

Visit site
Fillet string. None of my rugs sport leg straps as my mare dislikes me fiddling around between her back legs. Fair dos, it's a lot quicker to flick a tail over anyway. I think leg straps come into their own if you're at the top of a mountain with high gusty winds on a regular basis or your horse doesn't have a tail.

eggs

Visit site
I prefer fillet string too but do remember that it is quite easy for the rug to get blown over the horse's back towards his/her head in strong winds if they are not blessed with a heavy tail to anchor the fillet string.

Bantry

Visit site
I freely admit it - this is a question arising from the one about turnout/stable rugs.

Just wondering what people prefer on their rugs - leg straps or fillet strings?

I've only ever had one rug with leg straps and I cut them off! All my rugs have fillet strings only

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
On the hills here in the wind you need leg straps. Rugs with only fillet strings get blown off, so even though I love my Horseware rugs, I never use them when the wind gets up.

I've seen several horses get caught up in cross surcingles if they aren't fitted correctly, so I check that all the straps (not just the leg straps) are the correct length daily. It may seem over the top, but it only takes a few moments.

eggs

Visit site
I've seen several horses get caught up in cross surcingles if they aren't fitted correctly, so I check that all the straps (not just the leg straps) are the correct length daily. It may seem over the top, but it only takes a few moments.

I'm with you on this. I'm forever adjusting the length of the cross surcingles for my five. I hate seeing horses with them hanging about a foot or more below their bellies.

Carrots&Mints

Visit site
We need leg straps up here as we are on top of a hill in the pennines and wow it does get windy!! Its been windy up here for a few days now and quite a few with fillet strings are coming up! lol!!

Ditto the belly straps! I always out my hand in flat then turn it on its side and thats how tight i want my belly straps. they get changed every day!!

3OldPonies

Visit site
I'm with you on this. I'm forever adjusting the length of the cross surcingles for my five. I hate seeing horses with them hanging about a foot or more below their bellies.

Yep I do this too, he's a master at getting tangled and I do it for the other out of habit I hate seeing dangly surcingles, apart from looking a mess they are more likely to come undone than those adjusted correctly.

I think, as he has a super heavy tail and it doesn't get as windy as at some places in the UK that the leg straps are now definitely heading for the spares box.

Thanks again for all your replies, you have helped me make my mind up :)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Another vote for filet strings. I take off the leg straps and then shorten one of them right up as far as it will go and use that. I also always check that belly straps are nice and snug. Though I have to keep loosening the two year old's; he is growing like the clappers.

WelshD

Visit site
I remove leg straps and make one in to a fillet string.

Im another that checks surcingles as my pony drops weight quite easily and they go loose. Also worth remembering to check them when getting rugs back out of storage and using for the first time

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I use whatever the rug has. Definitely leg straps on winter rugs, it's just too windy here. Plus my gelding is a pig and poops big time all over fillet strings. They're disgusting within a week.

Araby

Visit site
Owner of an Arab with a feather light tail that goes up over the hind quarters at a whim, let alone in high winds! Leg straps all the way, tail up, following wind, I can imagine the chaos ... always use elastic leg straps though, a bit more forgiving, would love to just use a fillet string, but too much of a risk :(

Boulty

Visit site
Fillet string out of pure an utter laziness and dislike of picking poo / mud off leg strap clips in order to unfasten them. Never had a problem and if can get windy here sometimes. If I was proper exposed on the top of a hill somewhere then guess I may need to reconsider but for normal usage in normal conditions I view them as an unnecessary annoyance and time waster!

CBAnglo

Visit site
Fillet strings too; seen too many injuries from leg straps. Can't stand seeing surcingles not fitted correctly either.