leg wound---am I doing the right thing?

spookypony

Visit site
Please bear with me for the length; I'm just an overly-worried mum who doesn't want to overreact!

On Sunday morning, the spooky pony came in from the field with two kick wounds: one on his inner thigh (left hind) and one on his left fore above the elbow. The foreleg wound was quite deep, and both were still bleeding. He trotted up sound.

I cold-hosed both wounds, and bathed with warm saline solution, and rode him at a walk. Sunday evening, I cold-hosed again, and treated both with wound powder.

Monday, he was sound. The hind leg wound was closed, but the foreleg wound was oozing some pus, and the leg still a bit swollen. I cold-hosed it again, and applied a green antiseptic anti-insect wound gel around the wound. (He objected vehemently, sat down in his efforts to leave, broke the clip on his lead rope, fell over, and scraped his right hind hock, so that got cold water and wound powder too; idiot pony!) Then, I walked him in-hand for about 1/2 hour.

Today, he was quite lame on the wounded foreleg. The wound was still oozing, and white in places. The leg is still a bit swollen. I cold-hosed again, and applied a thick blob of Manuka honey over the whole area. The lameness did appear to improve a bit with walking. The area is not bandaged, because it is quite high up on his leg, and I'm told the thick coating of goo will keep the flies off.

Here's the question: I don't want to call the vet after-hours for what is probably not an emergency, but neither do I want a serious infection in his leg. My worried-mum side says to check in the morning, and if he's still as bad, to get the vet out tomorrow. My let's-not-overreact side says that I'd be stiff too if I got a big wallop on the shoulder like that, and to keep treating it with cold-hosing and the Manuka honey for another few days, and then call the vet if it doesn't improve. Thoughts, anyone?

crazy.gif
confused.gif
crazy.gif

Genesis

Visit site
Call your vet - even if its just for professional advice. You can never be to cautious with wounds near joints, and if as you say, it is infected, antibiotics might be better given sooner rather than later.
Oh and personally I don't like wound powder, it dries the tissues and hinders healing.
Hope little horse gets better soon.

Skilgariff

Visit site
If you have the slightest concern get a vet. May cause more problems self treating. The fact that you have doubts says to me a vet can only answer!

popsicle

Visit site
I am also a worried mum type and call the vet if they sneeze lol. Seriously though, If it's not on a joint then the chances are it is not an emergency. I would check tomorrow and if he is still lame, then I would call and ask to speak to the vet, to see if they think you need a visit. However if he is unable to put any weight on the leg, you should always treat that as an emergency and get the vet promptly.

spookypony

Visit site
Thanks guys! I'm thinking I'll go early in the morning, and phone the vet for advice if he doesn't seem better...I'm so flustered that it didn't even occur to me that the vet will just tell me if she thinks she needs to come by.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I'm not sure really if it's a question of the vet needing to call round, rather than a fact that they should.

He sounds as if he may need antibiotics, bute, and thorough investigation of the wound.

Booboos

Visit site
It sounds like he needs antibiotics and checking the wound, but I can't tell whether this should be done now or tomorrow, so I would call my vet and check. It's not desperately late.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It sounds like he needs antibiotics and checking the wound, but I can't tell whether this should be done now or tomorrow, so I would call my vet and check. It's not desperately late.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it an emergency?????
confused.gif

Cliqmo

Visit site
Give the vet a phone and read out your original post
grin.gif
they wont charge you for the advice
grin.gif
and it probably just means they know what they are coming out to tomorrow
grin.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Can I just ask if posters are seriously suggesting making a phone call at 10.50pm to get advice on a non emergency situation???

spookypony

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Can I just ask if posters are seriously suggesting making a phone call at 10.50pm to get advice on a non emergency situation???

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm wondering the same thing! I certainly wasn't planning to call before the morning, since the honey is supposed to be anti-bacterial anyway, and the pony seems otherwise quite bright-eyed and bushy-tailed (well, not so much bushy-tailed, since I did brush it out this evening).

Cliqmo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hadn't actually realised the time
tongue.gif
I think you're probably safe to wait until the morning
grin.gif

Bananarama

Visit site
For future referance I think if it is a deep wound you should maybe have called the vet straight away as it can't be stiched after a few hours. And certainly once it had pus you should maybe have given them a ring, better safe than sorry after all
wink.gif

But getting a vet out a this hour isn't nessercary, so I maybe give a call in the morning and if they feel they should visit your horse then they can
smile.gif
Hope you horses is ok
laugh.gif

Having lived with a vet and gone on calls with her at night, it can be really annoying getting called out to things that have been left for days and as such may as well be left till the morning
tongue.gif
So as you have said and others probaly best to try and avoid it :p

spookypony

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
For future referance I think if it is a deep wound you should maybe have called the vet straight away as it can't be stiched after a few hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely agree, but by the time it was discovered, the window of opportunity was probably past already...the injury happened away from home, and there were some very experienced people on hand who agreed that the wound was not really big enough to merit stitching. I suppose in the end it's always a judgment call. I'll let you all know how he is tomorrow, poor little guy!

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I don't want to scare you but we lost our beautiful four year old to a minor cut. We treated it but it tracked downwards into the joint despite being on anti biotics.
If there is pain/swelling and obvious signs of infection you must get veterinary advice asap.
Despite the best of care, two ops and a final bill of over six thousand pounds our mare had to be euthanised, and that's doing the care properly.
I'm a huge fan of honey, we use tulle dressings impregnated with that and cod liver oil, but your horse's symptoms shout anti biotics as well to me.
One other thing, don't ever ride with a wound if you can avoid it, it does hinder the healing process and makes for more pain and swelling. Turning them out is fine, they mostly walk, but riding does aggravate things.
I hope you are lucky and get away with this but my advice is based on experience, get your vet out..

ducktails

Visit site
I am a little slow and I do hope el ponio is ok. My pony has been in on box rest for 3 weeks now.. what was a little cut on the knee has resulted in an infection of the extensor tendon. I did call the vet out straight away and he has been out at least ten times since. I am hopefully lucky as although we still have a little swelling vet is pretty happy and of all the tendons to get an infection in that was the least serious.

My vet said the fluid that comes out of the cut is what to watch for anything stringy is not good as it could be joint juice (tecnical term) he he x

miss_bird

Visit site
I have to say, with any wound i give the the horse a shot of penicilian (sp) even minor if more than minor e.g. swelling lots of blood i call the vet for advise, he can decide if the wound merits a call out, not me that is why he done years of training at vet school.

Tnavas

Visit site
If you are using saline to wash and then Manuka honey he should be fine. The Manuka Honey has a natural anitbiotic in it so it will soon sort out any infection.

Would be inclined not to use wound powder as it traps serum and dirt and often causes proud flesh.

Is the honey you are using the 'Activated Manuka Honey' as that is the type used for wound healing.

Booboos

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Is it an emergency?????
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe not, but the whole point is that I would not want to take it upon myself to suggest to OP that it is not, over a forum, without having seen the horse and without having any veterinary knowledge, so better safe than sorry. I dated a vet years ago and he never begrugged anyone calling for advice, it's part and parcel of being a vet or a doctor.

spookypony

Visit site
OK, update time
smile.gif
!

The vet was out this afternoon, sedated the pony, cleaned out the wound, and gave him an antibiotic injection. He's getting antibiotics morning and evening for 5 days as well as Danilon once a day, and he's also been moved into the starvation paddock, since he's obviously off work, and is threatening to inflate on his grass to the point of floating away like a giant brown balloon. I'm to continue the cold-hosing and Manuka honey.

He was limping a little less though, and seems quite chirpy otherwise!

Thanks everyone for your support; I'll keep you updated on his boo-boo.