Legal advice re - breeding/bankrupt

bensababy

Visit site
Hi, this may sound like a silly question, if a stud/breeders have been made bankrupt and lost all property, are they legally allowed to continue to breed their mares?

BBH

Visit site
I don't know the legalities but if they still own the mare, why not breed they have to make a living somehow. Because it was a stud am assuming they are not breeding poor quality horses / ponies and it may be a way to get back on their feet.

bensababy

Visit site
Well they were breeding quality, but now the mares and foals are in a poor state. Cant go into too much detail on here for obvious reasons. thank you though.

BBH

Visit site
Ah ok if its a welfare issue I would treat it as you normally would in terms of alerting the authorities if things became bad.

bensababy

Visit site
Yes i am trying a few different avenues, but nothing seems to be moving in a good direction for horses/foals concerned.
frown.gif

OWLIE185

Visit site
Contact the World Horse Welfare charity if there is a welfare issue as they have inspectors that cover the country.

gnubee

Visit site
If they are private individuals who have been declared bankrupt, I would be suprised that they were allowed to keep the horses unless they managed to exempt them under the "tools of the trade" rule which lets you keep things because you require it in the line of your business to generate income in the future; however letting you keep horses for that sounds a bit of a stretch.
Could it be that they are on loan from someone else, in which case they wouldnt be treated as assets on bankruptcy? If you have welfare concerns, could be worth seeing if you can find out who the owners are.
If breeding is not the main line of business of these people, there is also a chance that they didnt reveal the horses as assets in the bankruptcy proceedings; I dont know much about the practicalities of these things, but I doubt horses are something that they have procedures in place to check for.