Length of Mane for Plaiting

bluepegasus

Visit site
As we now have a "proper" horse (none of this lovely cob stuff anymore) we're going to have to learn the art of plaiting!! Please could you show me the length of mane you usually have for good plaiting?
Also any plaiting tips would be good!
This is the length we are currently running with....
Dolly - Arena Eventing (2).jpg

be positive

Visit site
Everyone will have different preferences and to an extent is also depends on the horse, I would probably have that mane reduced by half, possibly a little more, but it may plait nicely as it is so have a go and see what suits you before taking out too much you can always take out more but cannot put it back if you go too far, I always leave the forelock as long as possible to give some protection against flies.

Starzaan

Visit site
I'm the same as be positive - I'd take that mane down by at least half, but it's all personal preference. Have a play and see what works best for you. :)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
For me it also depends on whether the horse enjoys having its mane pulled or not. I've got one that loves it, and I'm taking it shorter than yours. If he didn't, it would be left longer and cut to length but not thinned. I wouldn't rip the hair out by the roots of a horse which made it clear it wasn't happy, just to get small plaits or a neat mane.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Dressage plaits or showing plaits?

Dressage plaits I like about 4 inches (10cm to15 cm) showing plaits about the length of a pulling comb. 6 or 7 cm

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Depends on the thickness for me.
I have one that I just can't pull as she 100% won't tolerate it, and she grows a hugely thick mane so in order to wrestle it into plaits i need plenty of length.
Another has an absolutely perfect mane, even thickness all the way down and very manageable so I solocombed hers to about 6" for nice dressagey plaits.