Leominster horse and pony sales - Dec. What to expect?

Ranyhyn

Visit site
I've not been to this particular sales before (previously been to Brecon/Llanybydder) how does it compare to these? Looking for a fairly innocuous riding horse.

How is the trial area as I can see one is supplied?
Generally speaking, what's the level of horse that's presented there?
How are the vets there? Are they fairly thorough?
What kind of stock passes through here - are they likely to be rough this time of year?

Thanks for any info you can give.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I have never been there, but I know plenty of people who do go and have bought some good animals. I think some vendors just like to take their animals to a sale and not bother about adverts and having people come to try.

I know a couple of excellent hunters bought there, plus some good ponies. Prices just reflect the existing market, pretty depressing I expect. I don't know about what sort of animal is likely to be at this time of year, not the best I imagine. I think the sales have a good reputation, but as always, buyer beware. It is what the description doesn't say as much as what it does.

TheMule

Visit site
When I went a few years ago the trial area was around the car park or up a narrow strip. There was a jump there you could pop over but it wasnt really a proper riding area!

Costypop

Visit site
So much better then Brecon!!! You get 2-5 ptp'ers/racers then the riding horses, some old, other young and just broken then a few crackers too. Normally get a good lot in of 14-16hhers, most have done a fair bit too. Then the ponies again old/young and always a pen of unhandled welshes, the odd sheltland too. I've brought a few, never had any issues with any of them. Good riding types. Check out hereford horse riders on Facebook as a few people put the horse on there before the sales or put up a comment asking what people are taking.
There is also a good tack sale and the all day breakfast from the cafe is good too!

You get about 40-60ish most sales and if the past few years are anything to go by the dec sale has the cheapest prices of the year